Super slow download and upload

• I couldn't find whether or not this had been posted about before. Basically, I'm wondering if problems with downloading and uploading files in Vivaldi is a universal problem, if it affects only a subset of users, or if it's only me. With downloads, it frequently takes about 30 seconds, for the save dialog box to come up. This is especially bad with images, where the "Save as..." window takes upwards of 10 minutes to pop up. The download then sits in the download sidebar without making any progress for quite some time, before finally downloading and then sitting at 100% for another lengthy period of time. Uploading files has a similar problem, where the choose file window can occasionally take around 5 minutes to show up. This is the one major problem I've had with Vivaldi since its launch. Have there been any solutions to this problem? I'm running Windows 10 x64, though I had this problem with Windows 8 as well.

• That doesn't sound right, Elurchin.

Do you have a lot of files or very large files in the directory? Anti-virus programs will scan every freakin' file before you get a dialog box and it may scan again after a download completes.

• Even in an empty directory with my anti-virus disabled, Vivaldi takes significantly longer than other browsers to start and complete downloads.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but opening the settings menu can take a long amount of time in Vivaldi as well (only when it's set to open in a window rather than tab), and occasionally at startup it takes a few minutes for my bookmarks/speed dial to show up.

• Bummer. That's all I can think of except to ask if it's been slow since you first installed Vivaldi or if it's been slowing down as you used it without clearing the cache(s) and a few other items.

If Vivaldi has become slow as you use it, close Vivaldi and look in "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi" to see if the Profile is out of control. Right-click on the Vivaldi directory and check the Properties to see if the size of the installation is sane.

"%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default" should have a file named "Top Sites" that can grow enormously, ridiculously huge. Everything you've ever done in Vivaldi seems to wind up in Top Sites including the SpeedDial icons and it can get too big. Unfortunately, if you delete that file you lose the SpeedDial icons too and rebuilding SpeedDial has been, erm, problematic. ;)

You can also look in subdirectories below Default. "Cache" may be manageable or it could have thousands or even hundreds of thousands (millions?) of files in it. The Flash/Pepperflash subdirectories and caches can grow out of control too.

I use Vivaldi on a computer I built back in 2005 for Windows XP x86. I put Windows 7 x64 on it. Sometimes Vivaldi works fine, sometimes it's like watching videos from the moon landings but nothing ever takes minutes to complete. :ohmy:

• I've not had any problems with file download speeds, though I'm using Win7-64 and Vivaldi 1.0.300.5 in a stand-alone install, which may present too many differences from your system. This has been true for me through all the snapshot versions back to around the TP2 class, before and early-in-which the only file DL problem I had was getting Vivaldi to successfully download and save a file - it kept finishing the DL and then 'dumping' the file off the system at the end of the DL. All the file downloads I'm referring to have all been direct HTTP downloads from sites, not FTP-server files (which I've not yet tried with Vivaldi).

In your progression through Vivaldi versions, have you tried fresh Vivaldi installs (not updates nor importing/reusing anything from earlier installs)? Have you installed any extensions in Vivaldi? Along the lines of @3Phase's observations, have you run into the slow downs right from the start of a fresh, clean install, before the caches and top sites file start filling up?

Regardless, the very slow speeds you mention for file DL, settings menu appearance, and startup bookmarks/speed dial appearance sound very abnormal, especially in degree, for Vivaldi - both in my own experience and from what I've observed in these forum threads over past months. Vivaldi may have some issues with certain features, but your descriptions seem well out of the mainstream. Normally, I'd focus on something like AV interfering, but you indicate that disabling it doesn't fix things. The peculiar thing is that it sounds like Vivaldi eventually gets where it's supposed to operationally, which would seem to indicate it's not just a gross blockage in account settings or registry entries.

• I'll try a clean install later today. My cache and Top Sites had grown pretty large, but deleting them didn't solve the problem.

I'm using uBlock Origin and WOT, but I'm facing the same problems after disabling them.

• @Elurchin:

I'll try a clean install later today. … I'm using uBlock Origin and WOT, but I'm facing the same problems after disabling them.

When you do your clean install, test it out for the speed issues before installing either extension. Then test it after installing each extension… just in case they're involved, even with having disabled them.

No upload or download probs here; Vivaldi 32 on Win 10 64.

• A clean install seems to have fixed my problems. Thanks for the help

• Oops! Too slow! It got fixed! :woohoo:

I'll leave the post and you can check the hardware anyway. :D
    Something is definitely wrong with Elurchin's setup, hopefully a clean install will fix it.

FWIW, the low-level file I/O and Internet connection up/down speed is actually faster in my 'new' Win7 x64 install than it was with XP x86. The GUI frosting takes a little more time but the low level part of system itself is faster and that includes Vivaldi – file uploads and downloads move right along.

Thinking back, the last time I had a single program that took minutes to do things that should have taken seconds was when it was installed and sitting on a some bad sectors on the hard drive. Things would hang, time out, then continue after a bazillion retries finally read the data. I ran Spinrite on the drive, the bad sectors were replaced with spares and the program ran fine after it was reinstalled.

You don't need any special tools or programs, you can use the Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line and ask the drives to report their Status. I have two drives and this is what it reports when I open a cmd prompt with Administrator privileges, then run wmic:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>wmic
    wmic:root\cli>diskdrive get status
    Status
    OK
    OK

wmic:root\cli>

The file wmic_disk_status.png is attached but may not work.
    [attachment=1862]wmic_disk_status.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.