When will be Vivaldi sync?

• Syncing settings, plugins and bookmarks between several computers is the main feature, that I wait to switch to Vivaldi from Chrome. When will it be released? Will it appear in beta version or earlier or later?

I would not look for it in Beta. It means buying and deploying a server farm, and writing all of the sync protocols from scratch.

Plugins are never synced, by any browser, ever. Extensions are synced by some browsers.

• You can do it manually.

@RJules3:

The way tested already is copying the whole profile. I did this from Windows 8.1 to Linux Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon desktop). You need to delete the Default folder in /home/{user}/.config/Vivaldi and replace it with the Default folder from C:Users{user}\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data.
    In this Default folder you find three folders related to extensions 'Extensions', 'Extension Rules', 'Extension State', and the file 'Bookmarks'. Replacing only the 'Bookmarks' file is working. If the replacement of the three extensions folders is also working, I don't know but it's worth a try.

• I really want a Vivaldi Sync to come . . . .

I get into situations where I need to access my past bookmarks, history, and things like that by other browsers, and a sync would be really helpful.

I also found myself in a situation where I wanted my Chrome browser on Android to open up a link from my history on Vivaldi, but couldn't because they're not the same browser. I would love it when Vivaldi brings sync and Vivaldi Mobile to the table.

• @Ayespy:

Plugins are never synced, by any browser, ever. Extensions are synced by some browsers.

I think Rinaldus may have meant extensions/addons rather than plugins.

I'm sure that's the case. That's why I distinguished plugins and extensions.

I think it's important to keep the terms "plugin," "extension," and "app" differentiated and properly used. Say five or ten years ago, I almost NEVER saw these three terms mixed up and mis-used, and now I see it pretty much every day.

If people are going to be using software, it's a plus if they can be proficient. One of the fundamental ingredients of proficiency is a grasp of the relevant terminology. I know it's popular nowadays in our age of declining literacy for people to say "you knew what I meant!" but factually, words matter, and it's not incumbent on the person you are speaking or writing to, to know what you mean when you, yourself, don't even know what you mean. In auto mechanics, don't say carburetor when you mean fuel injector. Don't say header when you mean exhaust manifold. And in browsers, don't say plugin when you mean extension.

• Well said, I absolutely agree. I just wasn't originally sure whether you were trying to correct him or if you were genuinely confused. Based on your record, I suppose doubting you was bit foolish on my part. Carry on.

@Tiamarth:

Well said, I absolutely agree. I just wasn't originally sure whether you were trying to correct him or if you were genuinely confused. Based on your record, I suppose doubting you was bit foolish on my part. Carry on.

:)

• Opera 32 now has a sync.
    I still use Opera 12.17.
    Hope Vivaldi will sync soon, so I can move to Vivaldi, before Opera Link stops to work.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.