How is or will Vivaldi differentiate itself from other Chromium based browsers?

• Hi all, Long time user of Opera up til 12.xx. Anything after that i tried but gave up on :(. I loved the small footprint, customization & speed of the old versions of Opera (and YES i loved using many tabs at once - why should i change my browsing habits?). Had been looking for a new browser for a longtime (currently using Palemoon however that has its own problems with various sites i use) and got excited when i found out about Vivaldi. Then i read it seems to be yet another chromium based browser . Sigh. For those of us who were longtime Opera users - will Vivaldi be a breathe of fresh air and be different from all the chromium and mozilla based clones ? N

On the front end, it has already begun to differentiate itself from other Chromium-based browsers.

Without installing a single extension or running any new or additional processes, it has the ability to place tabs at any edge of the browser, the ability to use any folder, including multiple hierarchical folders, as speed dial and/or bookmarks bar, more flexible UI parameters than any other Chromium-based product, panels, notes, tab stacking, tab tiling, page actions, ability to turn on or off EVERY toolbar, ability to place toolbars and panels in different positions, full search engine flexibility (unlike, say, new Opera), etc., etc. It will have built-in email. TONS more flexibility and customizability both as to appearance and function, are still to be added.

After the first Beta is released, work will begin in earnest on stability, resource optimization, responsiveness and speed. To the degree a Chromium-based browser can be optimized, this one will be. It's unfortunate that it is no longer practical for any new browser to try to enter the market with its own proprietary engine, and that a resource-hog like Chromium is, for various strategic reasons, the only viable choice for this browser. But in the long run, it will distinguish itself in so many ways that, as hardware gains in power and the efficiency of the engine is tweaked more and more, I think it will reach its goal of being the fastest, most efficient and most customizable browser in the world, for power users and for people like myself who need a browser they can 100% mold to their work habits, work flow, and personal visual tastes.

• Vivaldi is already a breath of fresh air, in large part because of the openness of its developers to user ideas and feedback, as well as its designers' innate creativity. It reminds me of the early days of Opera… and it holds out much of the same kind of promise. Perhaps a major part of that's because of who is behind the browser and currently funding it - Jon von Tetzchner, the original founder of Opera - and because of the experience and credentials of those who have been assembled to work on the project. Their aim is not to build yet another chromium-clone browser, but they've stated they want: integrated features (major and minor) without having to use extensions for each, user configurability, and good performance... a browser as user-fulfilling as was Olde Opera, but built on a more universal, readily-maintained rendering engine.

Based on what I've experienced with Vivaldi thus far, that's indeed what I think we'll eventually see. It will differ in some ways from Olde Opera, but I believe the user-control and integrated feature-richness will be there. Right now, we're just in the first stages of a major journey... refinement and major feature expansion will come.

• Vivaldi Translator

Basically the difference between Cropera and Vivaldi is functionality, intended users and attitude.

Opera
    For a while Opera have ditched "unused" functions based on the feedback from some browsers (it now may be on for everyone since Cropera, but the damage was done pre v12).
    Some users are asked during install if they would like to enable browser telemetry to send feedback (not just the usual crash logs).
    Advanced and privacy aware users normally say no to these questions, unless there is a clear reason and an explanation of what data will be sent.

Once you remove those users from the already small pool, you are collecting data from a few people that sit in front of facebook, twitter and youtube most of the time, and the rest is shopping on ebay and Amazon.
    Many Opera users were oblivious to things like customising the browser GUI, the integrated email, torrent, RSS and IRC, and have no idea about extensions, or the old widgets and much-missed Unite.
    …Ahhhh the wonderful Opera Unite, so powerful and flexible. True "cloud computing" before the phrase was so abused to sell people individual storage and remote solutions…. that don't talk to each other, so each cloud is it's own eco-system.
    Unite, the thing that made Opera truly untouchable, unceremoniously dropped with no explanation as per usual (though I suspect outside pressure).

Swapping internals and ditching the MyOpera sites also lost a lot of extension authors, who now forced to write Chrome extensions asked themselves;
    "why bother with the constant changes suffered since Opera keep ditching whatever plugin support they invent"
    The addons site is brimming with unmoderated spam extensions disguised as games (We never had that when we had real game widgits in Opera).
    Their idea of customisation is to allow people to upload copyrighted imagery for backgrounds.
    Backgrounds that you will not see anyway if you actually use the browser to browse !

Vivaldi
    Vivaldi know that if you want to just "sit in front of facebook, twitter and youtube most of the time, and the rest is shopping on ebay and Amazon", then there are plenty of browsers that can fill that basic need.
    However, if you do anything useful with the net, like research, or maybe the web is your virtual workplace / office, then you will need your browser to be your command centre, and to help keep you organised rather than distracted.
    Firefox and Chrome can be turned into useful command centres, due to the huge catalogues of addons, but with obvious bloat (especially Chrome as it runs a new instance for every extension and tab).

Vivaldi intend to have the most useful and configurable out-of-the-box browser you can get (just like before Opera 12).
    Unlike at Opera, our user opinion has been asked for at almost every level.
    We were recently asked if we want a Turbo feature for Vivaldi, and thankfully those that responded used caution, and expressed a desire for a more stable Vivaldi, before we think about a feature that will require more physical resources, will cost Jon a bunch of extra money, and possibly delay the browser development with either more crashes or team restructuring.
    The agreement was that it is highly desirable in this age of dongles and data-plans, overcrowded wifi hot-spots, or the idiot in the corner of the café, downloading multiple torrents.
    Turbo may become more useful than ever, as we get more mobile and more idiots throw together sloppy websites, so I can see it becoming one of the major features.

Customisation is in some ways lacking compared to O12, but in other ways already beats.
    I like the mix and match of the dark theme with the more advanced speed dial options, though I can't wait for non-flat GUIs when skins become a feature (I feel like designers have gone back to Windows 3.11). Changing to the default chrome GUI is an option, but :sick:

In my opinion, if the devs can put a cherry on top of the cake and make a Unite type system, knowing now what they learned from the running and closure of Opera Unite, then Vivaldi could be the complete command centre, and truly be your conduit to and from the digital world.
    It would give them a reason to actually have a Vivaldi apps link, and just put a google play icon back on the link to google apps.

• hello Niggles and everyone

Already has. i not the first or last to say it.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.