Unhappy results when copying "Default" folder across OS's.

• [color=#8800bb]I've wanted to ask this for very many months, but my bone laziness kept stopping me. I changed my default browser from Opera Dev to Vivaldi Linux DEB 64-bit a few weeks after TP1 arrived, & whilst i still keep the latest TP installed, my daily workhorse is whatever the current Snapshot is... 1.0.291.18 (Developer Build) dev (64-bit) at time of writing. Whilst most of the time i love V, it does occasionally elevate my blood pressure when it chucks a random wobbly. In the early days this could & did arise without warning [& often] during general use when tabs would only display the ominous inverted dead bird [Norwegian Blue, pining for the fjords?], but another common failure mode occurred in the early days when a Snapshot upgrade would annihilate all my erstwhile open tabs, &/or all my installed extensions, &/or all my saved passwords. I used to do a lot of screaming. From this i developed the precautionary habit of copying my [i]Default[/i] folder [per [i]/home/steffie/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default/[/i] in my various Linux distros, or [i]C:\Users\Steffie\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default[/i] in Win10 x64 VM], AND the associated [i]Local State[/i] file. There have been many occasions when this precaution saved my bacon after one of the destructive SN upgrades, & often [u]but not always[/u] after the upgrade murdered [eg] my passwords or my session tabs, i was afterwards able to reinstate them by copying back my backed-up [i]Default[/i] folder & the [i]Local State[/i] file. This did not always work, which was exasperating but i supposed it might have been due to important changes in the new SN changing the interaction with these files[???]. The preceding text was mainly preamble, with the main problem set out now. As well as using [i]Default[/i] & [i]Local State[/i] for disaster recovery in my main OS [Linux Mint x64 17.2 KDE V-x64 installation in my i7 SSD+ HDD Tower] after upgrades, i've also taken to copying that folder & file to my V installations in other OS environments, eg, Linux Mint x64 Cinnamon V-x64 installation in a VB VM in Tower, Linux Lite x64 V-x64 installation in a VB VM in Tower, elementary OS Freya x64 V-x64 installation in a VB VM in Tower, Win10 x64 Pro V-x86 installation in a VB VM in Tower, & also all ditto in my i5 SSD Lappy. I keep all platforms' V version homogenised to the current version available. The problem is that it has proven to be a very hit & miss business. It is far from reliable. It is quite common that i might have all session tabs, passwords, extensions, preference settings, bookmarks, speeddials etc all nicely organised in V in [eg] my main platform [Tower's Mint KDE native [not VM] installation], close down V, make the copy of the folder & file, transpose said copies to the target platform [with V also closed down therein], paste in the latest folder & file over the older ones in the target. launch that platform's V, & see... MAYBE everything happy & complete, OR instead ... all the passwords remain missing, &/or all the extensions remain missing. Re the latter, i can even open [i]/home/steffie/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default/Extensions/[/i] in the target platform after pasting but before launching V, observe that all my extensions are there, launch V, & watch all those extensions get deleted in real time from the folder during V's launch. It's terribly frustrating. When this happens i've not found any alternative to the tedium of having to manually reinstall all my desired extensions again. Grrr. Can anyone please explain this behaviour, & suggest a reliable workaround?[/color]

• Passwords are gone, because you forget copyying the user keyring. The passwordas in files Login and Login Data are encrpyted in relation to your OS keyring.
    And you should know that some data files of Vivaldi are not backward compatible.

The keyrings may be at:
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/*
    ~/.kde/share/config/kwallet*
    ~/.local/share/keyrings/*

• Password and extensions are tied to the current user / machine

You can't move the profile folder across machines w/o loosing the extensions and the passwords.

There are exceptions to that. For example if you reinstall Windows keeping just the files the UID is retained and the profile moved from Windows.old folder to the new installation will fully work.

Although the good old opera way was way more handy, there are worth security reasons in doing so.

A malicious person/SW who copy your opera profile will have access to anything that has a stored password/cookie, a malicious person that stole your chromium/Vivaldi folder, does not.

Anyway there are a number of ways to backup, at least the passwords, but better to google for "chromium backup/restore passwords" rather than looking for the same argument with Vivaldi in the search query. For obvious reasons.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.