12 apps for remote work that take privacy seriously

• Vivaldi Team

With Covid-19 on the rise, many organizations have asked their employees to work from home. Vivaldi’s privacy-conscious community suggests a few trusted apps for remote work.

Click here to see the full blog post

On Chat & Conferencing apps: If there is a web app available, just use it within your browser, and ditch the desktop app (unless there's a special feature only available there that you absolutely need). If you're very worried about privacy, this will sandbox the app within your browser and limit spyware capabilities. That being said, my primary worry at this stage would probably be downtime risks from network congestion.

On LibreOffice: This can hold up against MS Office for the most part, but lacks in some key areas: Grammar engine (MS recently ramped up the power of their grammar checking for English and maybe other languages, last time I checked, LO didn't have this), Collaborative Editing and Notebook software (both of those points together make for neat virtual whiteboard software).

• I just create a profile at MeWe. It may be useful for sharing files. Let me know if you cannot see my custom.css file, and I will try to figure out how to make files available to others.

Why not a (Self)Hosted Nextcloud platform for file/documents/calendars/contacts sharing, many apps available for chat, mail, tasks manager, shared text editor ?

• The private apps for face-to-face meetings might also be good for virtual karaoke with people.

• What about Keybase? What do you guys think about it? I can’t decide which one to use Keybase or Riot?

• Jitsi looks good, except there's no text chatting that I can see.

• @baris-sehri IMO, Keybase over Matrix/Riot. Keybase offers a lot, and it runs very seamlessly across different OS platforms.

Keybase teams is a great way to work collaboratively and securely. Matrix has encryption but everytime someone uses a different device, having to do key validation, its far from seamless.

I use both, but Keybase is a much more polished product, and better suited to working rather than just social.

• Ambassador

@Pesala said in 12 apps for remote work that take privacy seriously:

I just create a profile at MeWe. It may be useful for sharing files. Let me know if you cannot see my custom.css file, and I will try to figure out how to make files available to others.

I have already added you to my contacts in MeWe 👍🏻
    I think MeWe is a good place to create a Vivaldi group

• @karma1 keybase is more polished and it's really beautiful, but I believe riot has more features.

I decided to go with keybase

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.