My Opinion, for What It's Worth…

• Hello, I'm liking Vivaldi so far, but there are a couple of nits I'd like to pick. One is more of a feature request, I guess, and the other might be a bug. 1. Open link in new tab focuses immediately on the new tab. I personally don't like that. I like to scroll through my news feeds and open links in new tabs while staying on the news feed page, and then go to those tabs at my leisure. I didn't see an option to disable new tab focus in the settings, but I may have just missed it. 2. Settings won't re-open after you've closed it. I can open the settings menu with no problem, but once I close the settings box, I can't get it to re-open from the settings icon in the lower left or the Vivaldi menu in the top right unless I restart Vivaldi. Major annoyance for me as I'm test-driving this browser. I really like it, but this is a bit of a show-stopper for me. 3. It would also be helpful to have the option to disable the auto-playing of both Flash & HTML5 videos. I suppose I should mention that I am using Linux Mint 17 64-bit, KDE version. I haven't had it long enough to run on Windows 10 yet to see if I can replicate these problems, but I'll let you know if I do in the Windows forum.

• 1. There might be no option but you can open a new tab in the background via using the middle mouse button or ctrl+click.

2. Which version do you use? I haven't seen this behaviour up to now.

3. To disable automatic flash you can open chrome://settings/search#c and check within content management plugins to activate only on demand. (At the moment I am on a German version and therefore don't have the exact wording.)

• 1. Both methods appear to work to open tabs without focusing on them.

2. From the About screen:

Vivaldi 1.0.219.50 (Developer Build) (64-bit)
    Revision d37f2694edc85296417ba1c78eeaed7d56280887
    OS Linux
    Blink 537.36 (@e9b63a6a8c24e22d2c02b23ed571b22e459291e3)
    JavaScript V8 4.4.63.12
    Flash 19.0.0.185
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/44.0.2403.75 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.0.219.50
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi-preview –ppapi-flash-path=/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=19.0.0.185 --always-authorize-plugins --enable-npapi --no-first-run --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
    Profile Path /home/jim/.config/vivaldi/Default

3. Found it, disabled it, but haven't had a chance to test yet.

• You probably want to go to the Team Blog and get the most recent snapshot: https://vivaldi.net/blogs/teamblog

• Thanks, Ayespy, that fixed the settings not re-opening. Now, if we can just get the new tabs to not auto-focus… :-)

By the way, I love how fast & responsive both the browser is and the community is with the support!

• @JimmytheGeek:

Thanks, Ayespy, that fixed the settings not re-opening. Now, if we can just get the new tabs to not auto-focus… :-)

By the way, I love how fast & responsive both the browser is and the community is with the support!

Various tab behavior options will no doubt be supported down the road. This browser is built to behave largely after the manner of OldeOpera, including the fact that "open in new tab" automatically focuses the new tab. Of course middle-click opens in background tab, and there is a context menu entry for that as well, if you right-click on the link and select "open in background window."

The first and most important target public for this browser is those who are still mourning the loss of OldeOpera (Opera 12.17 et prior).

• Ayespy,
    I had the same concerns as JimmyTheGeek with regards to his question about the immediate focus on New Tabs. I also like to browse through search results, opening new tabs on anything of interest, and then go through those tabs after I'm finished. The new tab focus was frustrating but since you pointed out HOW to open new tabs in the background, I rather prefer Vivaldi's method(s) as opposed to the right-click, select "open link in new tab" method of other browsers. I didn't realize that my middle wheel button would function as a middle-click. Now I have 2 methods that accomplish exactly what I need. Thanks!

• I'm trying Vivaldi as an alternative to Pale Moon, a Firefox variant. All of my operational baggage and habit come from that background. Apparently, I'm used to the reverse of JimmytheGeek and TeamWahoo, in that I'm used to a middle-click opening a link in a new tab AND shifting the focus to that new tab.

Is there a single-click option that will open a link in a new tab and shift the focus to that tab? Is there a single-click method of entering a search string in either the URL box or Search box and having the results open in a new tab with focus?

Thanks. I'm having a hard time breaking my 'middle-click' habits, to the point that they're offsetting any performance improvements I'm gaining from Vivaldi.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.