Terrible disk performance

• I guess the devs are using SSDs because here on 2 VelociRaptors in RAID0 Vivaldi is making terrible noises, as no other browser. Every cache write or read is accompanied by seeking noise. It also seems to be slower than in other browsers. Please optimize disk accesses because currently it's driving me nuts.

• Hi rutra80, may you add your system specs, OS and Vivaldi version.
    No problems for me on 3 different system with 1.0.283.8.

Cheers, mib

• Celeron G1820, 4GB RAM, Windows 10, Vivaldi v1.0.283.8 (Developer Build) (64-bit)

You probably have normal, quiet disks, VelociRaptors are quite noisy when seeking.

• I know exactly what you meen. Vivaldi performes a lot of disk access. For me the problem is not the noise but the slowness, because I only have a 2,5 inch notebook HDD. Hopefully the dev team will optimize it.

• I guess some copy-back RAM buffer would be great.

• Looks like I might have the same problem, after few hours of use, my laptop becomes really slow, youtube becomes laggy and too much static from sound. Even I close the browser the problem persists. I have to restart the computer when this happens.

• @rutra80:

slower than other browsers

shared. I totally agree.
    I had to install a RAMdisk to obtain from Vivaldi acceptable performances, comparable to the other browsers…

• @newscpq:

@rutra80:

slower than other browsers

shared. I totally agree.
    I had to install a RAMdisk to obtain from Vivaldi acceptable performances, comparable to the other browsers…

My first (or second) act in Vivaldi was to move the browser cache to my RAMDisk. Chrome (and Vivaldi) doesn't support this so I use a batch file. Anyway, browser speed dramatically increased. And I installed Vivaldi on my system SSD.

• @VikMorroHun:

My first (or second) act in Vivaldi was to move the browser cache to my RAMDisk. Chrome (and Vivaldi) doesn't support this so I use a batch file. Anyway, browser speed dramatically increased. And I installed Vivaldi on my system SSD.

Have you tried the Command Line Switch: –disk-cache-dir ?
    (e .g. shortcut D:\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe –disk-cache-dir="R:\Temp\Vivaldi" will use my R-disk (RAMdisk) for cache)

• (Cross posting as I had this topic already opend here)

I analyzed Vivaldis disk accesses. Most accesses seems to be in "Top Sites" file and "JumpListIcons" directory. So I removed any access rights from these elements for anyone (using NTFS permissions).

The result is that the HDD is much less used. So far I didn't notice any wrong behavior or side effects.

• I'll do it, as well.
    (How did you analyze disk access, anyway?)

• @poncho:

(Cross posting as I had this topic already opend here)

I analyzed Vivaldis disk accesses. Most accesses seems to be in "Top Sites" file and "JumpListIcons" directory. So I removed any access rights from these elements for anyone (using NTFS permissions).

The result is that the HDD is much less used. So far I didn't notice any wrong behavior or side effects.

Give it a chance, Vivaldi's not even a real Beta yet! :)

Yeah, denying access works but it still goes through the whole endless try/fail/retry/fail routine and that isn't a stable situation no matter which side of the wall you're on. The real problem needs to be addressed before something breaks because expecting end-users to make RAM disks is a non-starter and I know I would be more than a little upset if the snazzy new browser I installed basically shattered my latest MacGuffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LsxKkh0zg

• this is an issue that has been so far ignored unfortunately and not even a word on it by vivaldi staff has far has i am aware

Now that we are at Beta, this is the stage for the developers to concentrate on bug-fixing and performance optimization. They have already done work to reduce disk access, and have commented on it.

• I really don't have anything to add, just posting to make this thread more visible. :P

• Just reporting back just in case somebody is having the same cause for this. It turns out Avast! antivirus has this… lets call it "supplemental feature", named NG that nobody knows what it means or exactly what it does (Avast! explanation sounds more marketing that anything) but it just doesn't play nice with Vivaldi.

I disabled said feature et voilà. I'm a happy camper now, just waiting for mail and customizable mouse gestures and I'm sold. :D

• That sounds like one of those AV things where they create a database of every file on your system to see if they're being changed. I remember AVG also suddenly started indexing like mad after one of the updates a year or two ago. (I don't have that happening any more - don't remember if I disabled it or if it eventually indexed itself through the system then settled down.)

If that's the case then that means every disk write by Vivaldi is mirrored by a check then re-index by Avast! - which would explain the amount of thrashing you noticed.

• On my Win7 system there is a stone-pond-ripple effect aside from teasing the AV software with never-ending file reads and writes.

While Vivaldi is running it writes to the assorted 'Cookies' files along with some of the cache and content folders and files. I've left the browser open overnight with the network adapter disconnected and only two internal Tabs open, vivaldi://about and vivaldi://memory-redirect. Vivaldi was still writing files the next morning. :D The constant writing makes the NTFS constantly update its journal files like $LogFile to keep track of the changes. Superfetch and its performance friends try to keep up and utilities like Windows Search and even the third-party Everything.exe will keep updating their indexes.

• Yeah, my initial fix of disabling that Avast! NG thing worked for a while but after a couple of days I was back at square one, or maybe square two. Performance is not that bad but still unusable at times.

• I had to go over to the dark side of the filesystem and make the Topsites files ReadOnly.

SpeedDial would work for a while and the thumbnails would all be fine, then (apparently) randomly the thumbnails would get replaced here and there or they'd all disappear and start over. I blew away the 150MB TopSites file, then rebuilt the SpeedDial thumbnails and made TopSites a ~8.5Mb ReadOnly file.

The constant writes to other Vivaldi files is still going on but the 'Dial thumbnails stopped changing and disappearing. :woohoo:

Lest anyone get the idea that I'm picking on Vivaldi or that it's only a Vivaldi problem: Saint Opera the 12.17th has an annoying habit of non-stop writing to the autosav.win file and a few others. :whistle:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.