Window size and stuff

• I really want this to succeed, but it seems to me that certain fundamentals are being ignored at the expense of fancy pant stuff. Why won't the window remember the size I left it? It appears marooned in the middle of the screen and I have to resize it every time. Where is the bookmark menu? That's why I left Opera in the first place, and one of the reasons I hate Chrome.

@Flaxthejute:

I really want this to succeed, but it seems to me that certain fundamentals are being ignored at the expense of fancy pant stuff.

Why won't the window remember the size I left it? It appears marooned in the middle of the screen and I have to resize it every time.

Where is the bookmark menu? That's why I left Opera in the first place, and one of the reasons I hate Chrome.

You're catching this browser very, very early in its development, and you're noticing the side effects of 1) the fact that the ONLY REASON this team is even developing a browser is for features that people miss from Olde Opera 12. If O12 users don't see some of the features they crave, then they, they target market, will not give it a second look and 2) the fact that the user interface is a unique blend of technologies unrelated to Chromium or to earlier web browser efforts, and so every single look, reaction to a click, feature, or behavior has to be written from scratch, one line of code at a time.

At present, Vivaldi will only remember the state of the browser from one use to the next if you "Open From Last Session." Las Session was the ONLY way the browser could be opened in January, and the options of other ways to open weren't even available until May, but their introduction caused problems with remembering the browser state, and those have not been ironed out yet.

There are also other "fundamentals" some people want that we are still waiting for, but even MORE features that are being begged for with each release.

Patience is the order of the day. This browser is barely crawling. Next it will walk, and then run - but it was never and will never be bred to be a common garden-variety browser.

• @Flaxthejute:

Where is the bookmark menu? ...

The bookmarks don't have an own entry within the menu but looking at the bookmark panel doesn't it resemble a menu entry sufficiently? In my opinion it is usable and a successful replacement of a menu entry.

[attachment=1779]BookmarkPanel2015-09-2608:25:03.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• The bookmarks menu is not essential stuff by any means. It must be ten years already since the main menu bar was removed by default in Opera, so many users probably don't use it at all.

I do occasionally use the bookmarks menu, but not through the menu bar. I have a shortcut in Opera 12.17 [Alt B] that opens the bookmarks menu in the middle of the screen. I can then use Access keys to open frequently used local pages that I have bookmarked rather than going the slightly longer route to the Bookmarks panel.

For example: Alt B, Tipitaka, Sutta, Anguttura nikāya, Book of Sixes (6) takes only a second or two because it's easy to remember without even looking at the menus.

Apart from that, I never use the Bookmarks menu. That's not to say that it should not be added at some stage, but it is not a high priority because there is an easy workaround using the Bookmarks Panel, or Nicknames if you're in a hurry to find commonly used pages.

For the above example I could use a Nickname of A6 and just type that in the address bar to open the page. I have never done that until now since I find the Access Key mnemonic shortcuts good enough for the frequency that I need them, but nicknames are worth setting up for bookmarks that you use daily.

• The problem of the side bar bookmarks when compared with the drop-down menu, is that your need to double-click to open the link, and that not close it-self after.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.