Language localisation planned ?

Is it possible to translate vivaldi.net ? I can help for French localisation, of course :)

• ..would be nice. For Turkish, we can help as well :)

• yes in french will be good to understand all the subtilities :blink:

• Vivaldi Team

Thanks, guys for offering the help! :)

Yes, language translation is high priority item.
    We are small team so we definitely need everyone's help.

I will update you guys once we are ready with localization package.

• I offer my help as well for the thanslation in French.

• I can help with German.

• Count me in for German too :)

(And please, please don't use the same system for translations that Opera introduced lately. It is a bloated pile of horse manure I would not touch with a 10 yard pole.)

• @QuHno:

Count me in for German too :)

(And please, please don't use the same system for translations that Opera introduced lately. It is a bloated pile of horse manure I would not touch with a 10 yard pole.)

How was that system?

• Vivaldi Team

@olli:

How was that system?

It was ugly :)
    Last two years it was just monkey job with manual replacing separately translated pages. And mostly translated by agency. We should be smarter.

• Translating the browser UI became a nightmare since they introduced that insert heavy swearing of your choice here web based system. It is not made for UI translations but for longer texts. Before the switch it was a simple search and replace operation in some few text files, some diffing to find problematic or new strings, some manual translation, upload the stuff and be done. 50 to 100 strings in two hours included testing if they fit into the UI were no big problem. After the change it could happen that the automatic system decided that some expression was translated in another place and silently replaced it in the translation - which could lead to unexpected results, to put it mildly (Insert some additional swearing here too). Additionally one changed word or sentence needs up to 20 clicks plus several reloads now, which makes working a with the system a nightmare. Web page interfaces are similar to UI translations and systems with fixed places for certain terms simply do not work.

@olli:

@QuHno:

Count me in for German too :)

How was that system?

It was a Transifex web platform, still active for registred contributors on http://translate.my.opera.com/tx
    It's slow and not very convenient, but it did the job ;)

• I don't know if gettext is easily usable on websites, but it's easy to use with any text editor and there's also a useful graphical editor.

• If you need me for the French translation or for editing, just leave me a note!

Best regards.

• Vivaldi Team

Good news!

We are getting close to launch multiple languages but we need some help to translate some text that are specific to Vivaldi.net

Right now, the languages we have worked are;
    French
    Polish
    Russian
    Turkish
    German
    Italian
    Spanish

I pasted all the text we need translation in a single text file attached.
    [attachment=25]localization.txt[/attachment]

Thanks for the help!
    Attachments:

• 1 French copy send

@tatsuki:

Thanks for the help!

Here is another french translation : http://âpp.com/Paji

• Vivaldi Team

Russian translation is ready (sent by Email). :)

• Salut, ra-mon.

Comment te contacter privément ? J'aurais peut-être des suggestions.

Au plaisir.

Christian

• Vivaldi Team

Hi,

After I made my previous post, I realized that it's better for translators to inform the others before they begin translation so that there won't be duplicated effort.

So, I appreciate it if you can post when you decide to help us on translating for your language.
    I will also post here as soon as I receive translation through PM.
    So far, I received French translation from viva and Russian from Ilya.

Thanks!

• I wonder how to translate sentences that contain wordplays while sticking as near as possible to the original, e.g.:

'It is a cool place, both colloquially and literally. Find out more about [why we have decided to settle in Iceland](%1s).' 
    ```does not work in German. Yes, we use the word cool (as not translated loanword) too to say something is cool, but we never use it for the temperature. That double meaning would be lost.
    The word "kühl" doesn't associate with cool (fig.) but only with cool( lit.) and normally does not have a positive meaning when used figuratively.

So the question is:
    Shall we translate freely or stick as close to the texts as possible?

edit:
    Additional question to make the translation congruent:
    What is the translation the Joomla system uses for "Conversations"?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.