V1.0.275.3_p1 doesn't start

• When I start the browser, nothing happens, no window or output to the command line. Here’s [url=http://sprunge.us/DFcQ]strace[/url] and [url=http://sprunge.us/VdSg]system configuration[/url].

• Hi, does the problem still exist in 1.0.279.3?
    I had to deinstall and reinstall Vivaldi and delete Vivaldi .config folder.
    Lost all settings but it runs again, bookmark file was saved before.

Cheers, mib

• Try with a new profile =)

• @_ebi:

…no window or output to the command line.

How did you try to start Vivaldi? If I enter the command 'vivaldi-snapshot' in a terminal I get this response on Ubuntu 15.04 with Vivaldi 1.0.279.3 (Developer Build) dev (64-bit):

[attachment=1765]VivTerm2015-09-2016:45:15.png[/attachment]
    Some errors but the application is working like a charm. :)

The process list looks like this:

[attachment=1766]VivProcess2015-09-2016:46:49.png[/attachment]

'No output' sounds like that command is running into an endless cycle. Check your list of processes before and after th command. Probably you get a hint.
    Attachments:

• @mib2berlin:

Hi, does the problem still exist in 1.0.279.3?
    I had to deinstall and reinstall Vivaldi and delete Vivaldi .config folder.
    Lost all settings but it runs again, bookmark file was saved before.

Cheers, mib

1.0.279.3 has the same problem, strace is identical except for address numbers and PID.

• @GinoPerla:

Try with a new profile =)

:D :D X–---D

• @RJules3:

How did you try to start Vivaldi?

From the shell, obviously.

@RJules3:

'No output' sounds like that command is running into an endless cycle. Check your list of processes before and after th command. Probably you get a hint.

It doesn’t seem like a cycle to me. /usr/bin/vivaldi which I was running in the OP happened to be a shell file, a certain ‘Chrome wrapper’. It’s written in a strange way, I’d say. The last block I can make a parallel with strace output is

# Automagically migrate user data directory.
    # TODO(phajdan.jr): Remove along with migration code in the browser for M33.
    if [[ -n "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.config}/vivaldi-snapshot" ]]; then
      if [[ ! -d "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.config}/vivaldi-snapshot" ]]; then
        "$HERE/vivaldi-bin" "--migrate-data-dir-for-sxs=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.config}/vivaldi-sn
    apshot" \
          --enable-logging=stderr --log-level=0
      fi
    fi
    ```pgrep shows that this command launching vivaldi, hangs:

$ pgrep -af vivaldi
    13565 /bin/bash /usr/bin/vivaldi
    13572 /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-bin --migrate-data-dir-for-sxs=/home/dtr/.config/vivaldi-snapshot --enable-logging=stderr --log-level=0
    13577 vivaldi-bin

I, personally, suspect these lines as the reason I see no output to the shell:

Sanitize std{in,out,err} because they'll be shared with untrusted child

processes (http://crbug.com/376567).

exec < /dev/null
    exec > >(exec cat)
    exec 2> >(exec cat >&2)

• @_ebi:

Neither vivaldi-bin nor vivaldi-snapshot from /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/ start the browser or show any output.
    And yes, I removed the files in ~/.config/vivaldi before running the commmands.

In /usr/bin I don't have 'vivaldi files' but only symbolic links. There is one 'vivaldi-snapshot' linking to /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-snapshot, one vivaldi-preview linking to /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi, and vivaldi linking to /etc/alternatives/vivaldi. Each is opening a browser without any problem and is producing these processes:

1125 /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-bin --user-data-dir=/home/rudy/.config/vivaldi-snapshot --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169
    1139 /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-sandbox /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-bin --type=zygote --user-data-dir=/home/rudy/.config/vivaldi-snapshot --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169

2848 /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169 --always-authorize-plugins --no-first-run
    2862 /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin --type=zygote --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169

3037 /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169 --always-authorize-plugins --no-first-run
    3051 /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin --type=zygote --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=17.0.0.169
    ```Sorry but I don't know anything about this 'Automagically' (what an expression!) migrating of the user data. I only found [this link](https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/docker-selenium/commit/9ba6f354e94c2e0942eb3c73c3c1a4a507654a17.patch) talking about:```
    Previously in you wanted to use Chrome you had to explicitly include:
    ```
    chromeOptions:
      args: ["--no-sandbox"]
    ```
    That is now baked into the chrome launch script in the image.
    ```There you also can find both of your code quotations.
    Is this relevant to Vivaldi? I don't know. You can see in each second process I quoted a 'vivaldi-sandbox'.
    Looking into my .config folder there are two Vivaldi related folders: vivaldi and vivaldi-snapshot. In the first process the path to the user data in vivaldi-snapshot is explicitly mentioned. The path to vivaldi is not. May be you need to purge the system from all residuals of Vivaldi before trying it again.

At the moment I am on a Debian 'Jessie' (XFCE desktop] system and I think you need someone on a Gentoo system to get better support.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.