Vivaldi won't update

• Tried several times to update to 279.3, but keep getting a message saying an error has occurred, and asking if I'm connected to the internet. OS is Windows 7.

• Manual or automatic update?
    Try to go with manual !

• How do you do a manual update?

@IGenius:

How do you do a manual update?

Go to https://vivaldi.net/blogs/teamblog, click on "Read More" for the most recent blog, when the blog itself comes up, select the package you want from the package list at the end of the opening comments, download it to, say, your desktop, and when the download is complete double-click the package to open it, and it will update your version.

• It happens to me all the time, its because of slow vivaldi servers and clourflare servers. Go to https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/teamblog and click the latest post for downloading vivaldi and click on your preferred download link couple of times until you see a download window, cancel it and go to Vivaldi Menu > Help > Check for updates.

• Thanks for helping guys, but it sounds like a lot of effort to manually update. Actually updating is a bit of a performance when it works properly, having to close the browser. I'm leaving Vivaldi for a while, and may uninstall it. It shows promise, but I'd expected a smoother operation, given the experience of Vivaldis founder.

• @IGenius:

Thanks for helping guys, but it sounds like a lot of effort to manually update. Actually updating is a bit of a performance when it works properly, having to close the browser. I'm leaving Vivaldi for a while, and may uninstall it. It shows promise, but I'd expected a smoother operation, given the experience of Vivaldis founder.

It takes a little effort to manually update.
    Just double click on the latest snapshot.

Anyway, there are other browsers even in beta without an autoupdater.
    Don't compare an alpha software to a stable software, compare alpha to alpha and stable to stable.
    We're just testers.
    Come back when Vivaldi stable will be ready and then compare its autoupdater to the one you use in your other browsers

• Thanks, I didn't realise Vivaldi was still beta, I';; stick with it. I use Opera mainly and what I found attractive about Vivaldi is that it reminds me of how Opera used to be, with blogs and groups.

The blogs and groups predate the browser by a year or two.

The browser is not yet to Beta.

• Actually, Vivaldi's update track record here seems to be about 1 in 4 updates requiring manual update intervention for reasons varied and largely yet unknown. YMMV. Manual updating after obtaining the download, especially if Vivaldi autodetects the earlier installation as it usually does, is virtually automatic from that point on. If you've got the earlier version installed as a stand-alone, select the 'advanced' button on the installer panel to reselect stand-alone again if that's what you want. Either way, it carries in your personal data just as it does with the full automatic install. You'll find life using alpha-level software to be exciting - you'll never be bored. :D

The browser is distributed weorldwide over Cloudflare CDN and Cloudflare seems to have sometimes issues in broken downloads some countries or with some Internet providers.
    I sometimes suffer from these problems with german Telekom.

• @RRR13:

… I tell people they should stop making available software which is not finished. Google popularized this shit with their beta gmail and almost everybody followed, including Microsoft with Windows 10.

Most developers, including big companies think it's OK to launch unfinished products and slap a "beta" on them or some other fancy name, like "technical preview". No, it's not OK, dammit!
    Users don't and, most importantly, SHOULDN'T have to learn what beta, alpha, technical preview, etc means. And they really don't. ...

I respectfully disagree. I believe there's solid, technical merit to making alpha or beta software available for user testing and feedback on as wide a basis as possible - provided it's prominently labeled as such at the download site and in supporting literature, using an explanatory message indicating it's experimental and may not even work. In that case, I think it's wrong for a company's testing policy to be driven by users who refuse to read, learn, and heed such warning labels. The world is already overrun by the irresponsible idea that people are so dumb they have to be protected from their lack of thoughtful choosing. To me, the only relevant question is whether the current Vivaldi downloads are adequately covered by prominent caveats… and I'll leave it for others to debate that.

I'm pretty much in your camp on this issue, rrr13.

Sometimes the current 32bit Snapshot download stopped at 32MB and got not complete. 64bit broke even at 16 or 24 MB.
    Same with Autoupdate.
    Got this on some Linux system and most of my Windows PCs. :evil:

• @RRR13:

Users don't and, most importantly, SHOULDN'T have to learn what beta, alpha, technical preview, etc means. And they really don't. They just try the software, see it's full of bugs and just label it as shitty and never come back. And I can totally understand them.

I partially agree with that.
    My caveat would be that such "Users" should only try software that is described as Released.
    If you see Alpha/beta/preview etc - just don't try it, the developer(s) are saying it's not quite ready yet!

Although, even released software can be followed by alpha/beta versions of the next release - then the same problems can occur.

That said, at least you (and Igenius) made the effort to discuss your findings about Vivaldi here in the forums - so you get "props" for that. ;)

I, too, for the first time ever, had the update on my laptop fail after most of it was downloaded. Every time of several tries, but ONLY on my laptop. My desktops, which are also connected to my router wirelessly, all updated properly. So on the laptop I manually downloaded to desktop and updated that way. There is still something off-kilter with the update servers.

• Quite often I still have problems updating Vivaldi (snapshots) when the notifier pops up right after starting. It worked usually when selecting the online update from the Help menu afterwards. But for this version, it almost always told me that the new version 1.0.344.24 is available, yet fails to retrieve updating information when I click to update now (I use Vivaldi snapshots on several PCs). On my PC at home, during the weekend I never could start an update from the Help menu successfully and downloaded the installer from the blog eventually; today in the office, it took me two more tries, then the online update started the download.

• Had to download the update manually as checking for updates results in that error others get.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.