Vivaldi Mail Client Plans

• I am one of those people who LOVED Opera's M2 E-Mail-Client! Have of course tried other programs - at present I am on Thunderbird, no comparison! Has anybody got an idea about if/when a Vivaldi e-mail-client might see the light of day? Regards (from refugee-drowned Salzburg) H. Stoellinger :unsure:

• Yes, when it will be ready. :whistle:

We know it's being worked on, we know a version exists and is being tested internally, and we have some indication that it will be released ONLY when the team are confident that no one will suffer a data loss catastrophe while using it. and no user will suffer severe freezes or crashes of the whole browser framework, in relation to their use of the mail client.

• @hstoellinger:

I am one of those people who LOVED Opera's M2 E-Mail-Client! Have of course tried other programs - at present I am on Thunderbird, no comparison! Has anybody got an idea about if/when a Vivaldi e-mail-client might see the light of day?
    Regards (from refugee-drowned Salzburg)
    H. Stoellinger :unsure:

This is getting ridiculous, it's like the fifth day in a row I see a post with this question
    Let's say the answer is when it'll be ready
    I think it will be released soon, but no one knows

They can't release broken stuff, especially something important as an email client.
    1st reason is that having a non-functional email client is a bad image for Vivaldi
    2nd there are people who wouldn't use it for testing cause they're not into IT and they don't understand this is an alpha software, and so they'll complain "oh this sucks, I lost all of my emails"

Just wait, trust the true Opera 12 devs

EDIT: due to a mistake, some time ago the devs released a version with the email client enabled

• Vivaldi Team

Hi,

Just to sum up: Yes, we are working on the e-mail client. We want to get it right and do not want to let an unfinished client lose on our users. One thing is having a browser crash. Losing e-mail is much worse so we do not want you guys to test this on your mail boxes yet. But rest assured. When it is ready it's going to be great! :)

//Christian - Vivaldi Technologies

That's what I'm counting on!

And just to put this bug back in developers' ears while we're on the subject, it's really, really, really important to me to have the mail client be MAPI-compliant so that I can, once and for all, revert to a single email client rather than one for daily use and one for MAPI.

• Oh yesssss - please ad mail-client as soon as possible !!!

(oh - why should mails are lost with IMAP ? - POP3 ok, but IMAP?)

greetings from the heart of the Alps ;-)

• @gxxxxxxl:

Oh yesssss - please ad mail-client as soon as possible !!!

(oh - why should mails are lost with IMAP ? - POP3 ok, but IMAP?)

greetings from the heart of the Alps ;-)

You never know, there could be a bug which deletes email permanently on the server too.
    In this case not even imap would save you.
    Aside that they can't release a imap only client.

• I have a dead e-Mail account, which I don't use now… I would like to be your beta tester. I might also have some suggestions for it, when I see it!
    Best regards - Mihail

• I still use M2 alone and has more features than ANY other I ever found but not integral to browser, it is not NEARLY as handy.

• Hello - no news regarding mail client integration in Vivaldi…. ?

greetings

• @gxxxxxxl:

Hello - no news regarding mail client integration in Vivaldi…. ?

greetings

Still evolving, constantly, but not yet ready for prime time.

Take in account that a crashing browser can be a unpleasant, but a buggy email client can destroy your history, so the development is very different from the browser part.

• Thanks for the quick information - of course, the mail client must be first developed perfect … :)

• One year later, not ready yet?

No, not ready yet. It's sufficiently complete that I am testing it daily, but 'way too incomplete to subject users to the torture of trying to live with it. Four guys are working diligently, but some of the problems it presents are just really hard. I feel for them. I never realized how devilishly complicated it is to code an email client.

• Well, as M2 in Opera 12 is still working fine and as there's no alternative [integrated in any browser], you can and should take your time and make it rock before you release anything. What's not to like?

Rumors say: near Xmas
    Gossip say: December.
    I say: When it is ready.

;)

Not to be a gloomy Gus, but given the current state, Christmas seems optimistic to me. There could be a breakthrough and I could be pleasantly astonished. However, I'm aware of a couple of things which are, for me, (and for at least one other tester I converse with) showstoppers. And they seem nearly impervious to the Vivaldi mail-coders' efforts to either fix or work around them.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.