Is the browser war really a goat rodeo?

• Community Manager

The Verge has an interesting article out today and we'd like to know if you agree with the following thought?

The Verge article:
    The browser wars are back, but it's different this time
    It’s about privacy, not marketshare

• I highlight this part of the article :

The new Browser Wars aren't about who makes the fastest or best browser, they're about whose services you want and whose data policies you trust.

And I declare that TODAY it's hard to know which service to trust on the web.

• The Verge has a lot of great articles, but man, that stupid half-page blocking GDPR-paranoia style cookie warning, which is also impossible to close without "accepting" cookies, means I will never want to use it regularly.

And I have absolutely no interest in that ChromEdgeium thing .

• Ambassador

@Nlope said in Is the browser war really a goat rodeo?:

I highlight this part of the article :

The new Browser Wars aren't about who makes the fastest or best browser, they're about whose services you want and whose data policies you trust.

And I declare that TODAY it's hard to know which service to trust on the web.

On the web I don't trust my own shadow

PD @Pathduck , it is a real idiocy these cookie advices and then you get cookies anyway, yes or yes, if you do not block them, but with this extension at least you save having to see this warning.

• @Catweazle give me some privacy tips later 🙂

• I like this quote from the article:
    "The deep irony is that long ago, Microsoft’s Internet Explorer nearly broke the web because it demanded custom code from web developers."

However, I don't agree on the main point of the article, that it's about privacy this time around. It's still all about market-share, no matter if the big companies say they "take privacy seriously". Us technical folks might say we care deeply about it - sometimes to the point of tinfoil-hat paranoia - but for the vast majority of web users (talking about Chrome's 70% market share here), privacy is not something they care about, or even know exists on the web... Convenience and usability trumps everything.

The new Edge is just a way for MS to try and take back some of that market share (and save some development cost) by introducing their own integrated search engine, news feed, social media integration and (most importantly) tracking tech into a browser that comes pre-installed on all their controlled devices.

The big companies may tell us sweet little lies about how much they care about privacy, but in the end it's still about the bottom line and maximising profit for the share-holders who hold all the power.

• While I agree the next "battle ground" will be privacy, I do not really think it will be as big a deal as the browser wars of the past. Much like @Pathduck I think they will talk the talk but really just try to hide their own tracking and data sharing so as to maximize a revenue stream. Then they will try to claim they are more secure than the others.

At this point I think most users, even tech types, are used to things being "free" and do not really think about the true price. I also get the feeling from watching friends and family that they just stick to what they have been using; it works for them. They are not looking for something better or trying a different browser once in while but they will listen though, I got my son and some coworkers to start using Vivaldi. In fact I learned about Vivaldi from a friend when it first launched, I tried it and switched from Opera to Vivaldi. I still try other browsers once in a while just to see how things are compared to Vivaldi, especially after that browser has a major change, but I happily keep coming back.

I feel that the next browser war will not be a war, but more like a series of marketing campaigns. Who can convince more users that their browser offers better privacy, security, and cool features. Of course like any good marketing campaign get it moving by word of mouth.

• Ambassador

I'm sorry. I found this article to be for all intent and purposes...useless. What the author failed to address is any browser war at all. It was a comparison of Edge v Chrome. Chrome has the market share. Neither has the abilities that Vivaldi offers. Vivaldi leads. Chrome and the rest play catch-up.

I no longer have Firefox installed. My Chrome install is there for a few bookmarks which never migrated to Vivaldi.
    I use Vivaldi and only Vivaldi.

• Honestly, MS doesn't have a history of making it's money by selling your information. As long as that is the debate, Google (or Facebook or Amazon) has already lost. Does that mean I trust MS? About as far as I could throw their building (they actually do own a building here in town).

I trust Vivaldi, and even Opera, more than MS, Apple or any of the big names. Not that that is saying all that much, honestly. (Trusting almost anyone more than MS is pretty much a given, the fact FB and Amazon don't qualify is the notable part.)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.