Vivaldi on AUR

• Hi There,

So, I am on Linux Manjaro, and it turns out, there is no official installer for Arch-based systems. the only choice is from take it from the AUR.

so my cuestion is, how reliable is it? I usually do not take packages from the AUR. I do not mean disrespect for AUR users, I am just a bit kinky that way.

Thanx.

Hello there,

Yes, it's reliable.
    Please, have a look at here, that's our Linux wizard.

• @Daemonicvs - If you don't want to use AUR you can add the herecula repo. This is what you'll need to do:

Open your pacman.conf file in the terminal:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

and add these two lines to the file:

[herecura]
    Server = https://repo.herecura.be/$repo/$arch

Save, refresh your sources list, and you will now be able to install Vivaldi without having to bother with AUR. It's pretty much like adding a ppa to Ubuntu or Mint distros.

Here's the entry for herecura on the user repositories list:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#herecura

• @Daemonicvs said in Vivaldi on AUR:

Hi There,

So, I am on Linux Manjaro, and it turns out, there is no official installer for Arch-based systems. the only choice is from take it from the AUR.

so my cuestion is, how reliable is it? I usually do not take packages from the AUR. I do not mean disrespect for AUR users, I am just a bit kinky that way.

Thanx.

it's completely reliable. i've been running manjaro kde 18.1.5 rc1 testing build for awhile now and other than a issue with html5 video that is currently solved i have had no issues with vivaldi-stable or vivaldi-snapshot. i see nothing in it that wasn't in it under kubuntu.

• I highly recommend using the heracura repo. As mentioned its maintained by a Vivaldi Soprano, and it's a signed repository as well. You can pull ffmpeg from there as well. Once you install from the repo, Vivaldi will be updated along with your system every time you do whatever Manjaro's equivalent of pacman -Syu is, and there is an update available. That makes maintaining your system simpler and safer. Ike is on top of the work too, and accessible. If you have any questions you can often find him in the #archlinux. Vivaldi isn't the only package in that repo, he maintains quite a few, click on the link I included and you can look at everything that's in it.

Also, consider switching to arch. Technically speaking, installing from the repo as well as from the AUR is not supported, at least not by the people who create the packages. If you ask a maintainer for help and don't get much, don't take offense. They've built these packages for a different distro, Manjaro is just piggy-backing off the AUR rather than creating their own. If you get lucky, a maintainer might help you out with an issue if they've got some time and are in the mood, but remember that they are not necessarily familiar with the details of Manjaro and hunting down issues on an unsupported configuration takes time away from the stuff they've chosen to give their time to. Official support would have to come from the Manjaro community, but they are a third-party rather than the owners of the packages.

• Ok,
    I added the heracura repo, I am on Vivaldi as I type this.

Thank you very much everyone!.
    Much appreciated.

@Daemonicvs You are welcome.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.