Some ways to stop spammers?
Pathduck last edited by jane.n
For some time the forums have been regularly visited by spammers and this obviously takes away time and effort that could be used to help users. And if the mods let it slide, all the spam links will make the Vivaldi forums untrusted for stuff like PageRank.
I think these guys are SEO scum, and their mode of operation is:
- Make a new user on the forum.
- Find relatively recent posts on the Vivaldi subreddit.
- Copy and paste the Reddit post as-is here.
- Log off and wait 1-3 days.
- Log back and edit the post adding spam links.
How to spot them:
- 1 post, joined and offline since then
- Generic "US teenager" names in the form FirstnameLastname.
- Examples: BennettTristan, AaronConnor, RowanGale, MarcoCole
- Google part of the post, and will most likely hit a Reddit thread.
- You need to use Google, unfortunately the other engines don't have a good enough index...
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/43321/shortcuts-only-work-in-one-windowremoved, good job!
Many more like this the last days.
Actually not sure if they are bots or clickfarmers. At first I thought they were real but now I think maybe just bots. If they are not removed, they might be back with a second post, but not seen it yet. They would then be harder to spot having more than one post.
So I suggest some harsher rules for posting links for new users. Especially the auto-generated links from plain URLs. Maybe new users shouldn't be able to have the forums auto-generate links before they have more than 5 or 10 posts? Or disable auto-generated links altogether, but that would hit us regulars a lot too...
If new users need to post URLs they can post them but they will not be made into links, or they can post them in code blocks.
hlehyaric last edited by hlehyaric
No spam yet…
Edit: moderator acted to remove post and ban user.
@hlehyaric It's gone.
hlehyaric last edited by
@lamarca Thanks, you acted very quickly.
@Pathduck Spam is a chronicle decease. Bots, zombies. Your thread argument is consistent, the howto