Vivaldi unusable on Ubuntu 19.10

@PaulGir So far, Vivaldi works perfectly for me on Linux Mint 19.1, with no special steps taken to make it so. It would seem Chromium 79 has blacklisted more graphics hardware, but mine seems to have escaped the axe.

@PaulGir Sometimes a i965 and intel-vaapi-.... driver could help to enable correct hardware acceleration.
    Check with vainfo which driver is loaded.

• Your post seems to be a complaint against slow speed. From your post, your CPU is only a dual core and dated 2007, and your PC seems to be lacking a graphics card. Your internet connection is not mentioned. Respectfully, your system is very under-powered for the demands placed. 13 years places your CPU amongst the dinosaurs in this age of hi-tech, AI, 8 cores, 5G, etc. Ubuntu and its variants are excellent to keep ancient tech running, but cannot do magic. Respectfully, you will need to upgrade to keep up with recent tech developments; at the very least, install a basic graphics card. Good luck and best wishes.

@sobermadman Seventeen-year-old tech, here, underneath Linux Mint 19.1. It's a 2003 HP Paviion a450n tower.

P4 single-core @ 3GHz, 2 Gb RAM, but some help with a SSD replacing the original HDD. Dual-booted to Win7 (it barely supported all of the CPU instruction sets to upgrade from XP).

To be sure, everything is slow on this machine, but nothing freezes and everything works, including YouTube, HTML 5 video, etc. My paleolithic NVidia on-board graphics still have not been blacklisted apparently, or maybe all browser video is going thru CPU. I suppose I ought to check.

Regardless, nothing does great on this sort of hardware BUT, Vivaldi does as well as anything does here.

Certainly such a machine could not be my daily driver, but as a test platform, it demonstrates that Vivaldi does not make unreasonable demands (any more than any modern software does).

• @Ayespy - Well I read somewhere that the Chrome people have blacklisted additional hardware, whatever that means, but with your 2003 system working fine I wonder what hardware components are actually on that list because as a layman I'd assume it would probably be ancient stuff. I have a AMD A8-6500T APU chip which works great with everything except Chromium 79 and Vivaldi 2.10 so I'm not sure the APU has anything to do with it, but really when it comes to hardware I'm totally out of my depths 🙂

• @grune said in Vivaldi unusable on Ubuntu 19.10:

Your post seems to be a complaint against slow speed. From your post, your CPU is only a dual core and dated 2007, and your PC seems to be lacking a graphics card. Your internet connection is not mentioned. Respectfully, your system is very under-powered for the demands placed. 13 years places your CPU amongst the dinosaurs in this age of hi-tech, AI, 8 cores, 5G, etc. Ubuntu and its variants are excellent to keep ancient tech running, but cannot do magic. Respectfully, you will need to upgrade to keep up with recent tech developments; at the very least, install a basic graphics card. Good luck and best wishes.

Vivaldi works perfectly for me on a 32 bit single-core intel Atom netbook of around the same age, with a conventional (mechanical) hard disk and 2GB RAM. It has some sort of onboard Intel graphics. That said, I might not be running the absolute latest (Chromium 79 based) Vivaldi, as I only use that computer infrequently and don't always run a full update of all packages. But my point is that if a single-core i686 with a low clock-speed can do it, a dual-core x86_64 CPU, even one from 2007, is more than adequate for powering a web browser. It's not the computer speed. There's more to it than that.

In my limited experience, I've observed that anything capable of running XP, is still capable of running a current GNU/Linux distro and web browser. A web browser should (and for me, does) work fine with onboard graphics. Graphics cards are for gamers, graphic designers and video editors. Onboard graphics, even those from 2007, are still fine for a bit of surfing and simple document editing. The day I need to spend money on the modern equivalent of a 3dfx Voodoo 2, just to look at an HTML document, is the day I give up on the internet completely. 🤣

TL;DR there must be something up with Chromium 79, and based on the few appearances of this problem, must be something to do with its graphics acceleration or the blocklists it uses.

• I'm having constant freezes with both Vivaldi and Chrome on Fedora Linux 31. When either browser freezes/hangs, I opened a terminal window and ran top. With both browsers, I discovered 9, 10, 11 processes of Chrome or Vivaldi running at the same time. Once the browser thawed (un-froze), the number of processes dropped to 3 or 4.

It's at the point now that neither browser is usable, as both simply freeze too much.

• @edwardp
    Hi, I have no problems with both browser on two systems with Opensuse Tumbleweed.
    One is a i7 laptop with HD 4000 GPU and one is a i5 with GTX 760, both several years old.
    Does this happen with a fresh profile or private window?
    Sometimes an update corrupt the profile or a extension does not work correct after update to a new Chrome/Chromium version.
    Did you try to disable hardware acceleration?
    Add your Vivaldi, Windows version and hardware specs, please.

Cheers, mib

• On Debian 10 x64, running in a VM via VirtualBox 6.0.14, on a Windows 10 host, I have these issues. Downgrading to 2.9 fixes everything.

This issue on the Chrome forum seems to sum it up.

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23283471?hl=en

A link to the latest working deb file for my setup is here: https://downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vivaldi-stable_2.9.1705.41-1_amd64.deb

aptitude does not find an old enough version in the repository so you must downgrade by installing the file above.

Please let me know if hardware and software specs will help and I'll provide whatever is needed.

• @garrettroyce - That's how I got to get Vivaldi working again. Just to add that if you re-install from a deb file, first uninstall your current version of Vivaldi. If you don't purge it, all your settings, addons etc will still be there. 2.9.1705.41 works perfectly for me.

• @sobermadman I did do a purge, but unintentionally as a way to fix some unknown problem in the package, but no success there.

I don't understand about the settings, addons, etc. being purged because my user profile still existed after the purge. I think this information is in the user's home directory, which isn't purged, but I have not done the research to verify. Best practice is to back up before doing anything, but admittedly I wasn't careful and use my Vivaldi account anyway. Good advice about the purge, though.

• @garrettroyce - Vivaldi usually sits in the home folder, in ~/.config/vivaldi/.

If I want to have all my addons and settings on another computer or a Virtualbox guest, I copy that folder for use on the other machine or the guest.

Before installing a new version of Vivaldi when there already is one, I rename that original vivaldi folder to something like vivaldi-old. Now, if you start Vivaldi, a fresh profile will open. Or, if you want to install a different version from a deb file, that too will be all new and untouched. In either case, those new versions will again reside in a folder ~/. config/vivaldi. (A deb file will usually refuse to install if it finds that there already is a version of vivaldi on the system, hence the need to remove that version first.)

Then, if anything goes wrong, I can revert to my earlier vivaldi by removing the new version/profile folder and rename the original folder from vivaldi-old back to vivaldi.

@sobermadman .config/!

• @Gwen-Dragon - Of course, my bad! I ought to pay more attention to what I'm writing 🙂 Thanks for alerting me, I've fixed it.

• There seems to be a (temporary) solution to the problem. I posted details of it here:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/42887/2-10-1745-has-stuttering-and-blackouts/11

(TL/DR: Try running the Vivaldi Task Manager throughout your browsing session!)

• @SchizoNihilist

same here, its been ok for years

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.