[Split] - Memory usage

• @Inclement It's the same with me, on my Linux laptop. In order to keep it running efficiently, when using Vivaldi, I have to hibernate background tabs.

ModEdit: Split from https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/42452/memory-hog/ and moved from windows category to here (Linux)

• Hello there,

We need the basic info: OS, Sys specs, Vivaldi version. Is there a way to repro your issue?
    Thx

• @lamarca Sure. My laptop is a Lenovo T61.
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00Ghz
    RAM: 982MB
    Swap: 996MB
    Vivaldi: 2.9.1705.41

I don't have any problems with the way Vivaldi runs on my system. It's just that I get better performance when I hibernate background tabs. If I don't, as the day goes on, I notice that my laptop "works" harder and my hard drive activity increases (slowing things down). But, if I keep the background tabs hibernated, performance remains stable.

• @dbouley Indeed. It's possible to reduce de Ram usage by turning off some features. In case you need some teaks, don't hesite to ask. What distro are you on
    All modern browsers (with Javascript compilers) work best with a lot of memory.

can you please post the output of the command line bellow

It's mine

swapon -s
    Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/sda5                              	partition	8224764	0	-2

• @lamarca The distro I use is Q4OS (Scorpion).

Here's what's on my system:

Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/sda6                               partition       1020924 160572  -1

• @dbouley I didn't see your OS, sorry.
    The swap is using over 150M - I think it's too high. There's an interesting discussion about swap here

Conky is my system monitor, I started checking the swap.
    Flushing the cache restores your Ram, the swap does not change

• @lamarca Very Interesting. Thanks! I'll check out the discussion. I've always made my swap space equal my physical RAM. But, then again, I've always used older PCs/laptops, which usually had limited RAM. Old habits are hard to break. 😉

Also, up until recently, I've always used Pale Moon as my web browser and never had an issue with RAM or swap. But, if Vivaldi (aka Chromium) does things differently, then I can see why I've notice a difference in performance.

Addendum: by the way, my system's "swappiness" is set to 60.

• @dbouley Your welcome.
    I will ping our Linux wizard

• @dbouley said in [Split] - Memory usage:

Addendum: by the way, my system's "swappiness" is set to 60.

same as mine.

• @dbouley @lamarca
    Hi, after restart my swap is empty with 8 tabs in Vivaldi.
    No other desktop application open.

/dev/sda3                               partition       8165372 0       -2

Swapiness 60

Opensuse Tumbleweed x86_64
    CPU i7-3520M 8 GB
    GPU Intel HD4000
    xf86-video-intel 2.99.917-6.1
    KDE Plasma 5.59.0-1.1
    Vivaldi 2.9.1735.3 (Official Build) snapshot (64-bit)

I will watch swap usage next hours, mib

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.