Search your favorite websites quickly

• Community Manager

Learn to search with a site’s internal search box without navigating to their homepage first. Here we show you how to search through websites such as YouTube and StackOverflow quickly.

Click here to see the full blog post

• Ambassador

It is certainly a really practical function. And then they say that Vivaldi is not the fastest browser, while I already listen to my favorite artist and others are still looking for it in other, supposedly faster, browsers.

• I love having custom search engines, and have added lots, everything from dictionaries and music sites, to a bunch of torrent search engines 😊

Here's a thread from a way back with some really good examples of sites to add:
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/39853/vivaldi-search-and-suggestion-url-explanation-and-tutorial-simple/2

One major problem at the moment is that custom search engines are not synced, and there is no easy way to back them up for users. Yes there is a JS mod for it, but that's not something a regular user would know how to install. So if you spend a lot of time adding engines, it could all get nuked if you move machines, reinstall the OS or the profile gets nuked in some way.

I think a major priority for the Vivaldi team, if you really care about this feature, is to add sync for custom search engines as soon as possible.

It is one of the functions that i use more than one disarming comfort. The integration of the right mouse button in the context menu is very useful.

@Catweazle The extra milliseconds of speed they may have in loading pages if they lose them all with the extra clicks they have to make to get the same result.

@Pathduck This is a bad shortage of Sync, as for Web Panels. We hope that they will complete Sync soon allowing you to synchronize everything.

• @Pathduck This is a bad shortage of Sync [not synchronising search engines], as for Web Panels. We hope that they will complete Sync soon allowing you to synchronize everything.

I'm pretty sure that's always been the intention. Think I remember it being mentioned when sync first appeared in the snapshot phase - maybe before.

Edit: in fact I already have 4 "search engines" nodes in my sync data... but for some reason the user-defined ones (I only have WolframAlpha on this laptop) are not in that data.

• Ambassador

@Folgore101 said in Search your favorite websites quickly:

It is one of the functions that i use more than one disarming comfort. The integration of the right mouse button in the context menu is very useful.

@Catweazle The extra milliseconds of speed they may have in loading pages if they lose them all with the extra clicks they have to make to get the same result.

@Pathduck This is a bad shortage of Sync, as for Web Panels. We hope that they will complete Sync soon allowing you to synchronize everything.

That is what I mean, maybe some browsers load a little faster, but with none of them you can work faster than with Vivaldi.

• The "right click > save search engine" feature is also available on Firefox, but Vivaldi implementation is way better.
    On FF, those custom added search engines will be treated as a bookmark, and they can't be set as default search engine or even be used on search field. Also, you can't bind a "Suggestion URL" to them.

• Has the ability to import custom searches been added?

• I would like to make a suggestion to further expand this functionality.
    I would LOVE to have a way to search multiple websites with the same quick command.
    For example; with the same address bar nickname, I would like to type the name of a movie and new tabs would automatically open searching the same movie on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Trakt, etc. This also would be super helpful to search multiple torrent sites and so on.

• Ambassador

You can do this with video searches in any search engine.

• @OlgaA
    Hello this is just an idea, can you move this bar up next to the toolbars, shown as in the picture? Thank you.
    Capturevbb.PNG

• Ambassador

Wonderful. I have already added a few of my favourites. Great work!

• Ambassador

@UserVB said in Search your favorite websites quickly:

@OlgaA
    Hello this is just an idea, can you move this bar up next to the toolbars, shown as in the picture? Thank you.
    Capturevbb.PNG

Not the taskbar, but the icons with Shift+drag

• Are you going to “Add as search engine” in menu for POST form? I know you can add it manually but sometimes there are problems with it. I recently installed an old Opera 12.18 to create a search engine that I couldn't create on Vivaldi and copying it from Opera to Vivaldi and surprisingly it worked.

• I started using Vivaldi since first public version, when still there was not a possibility to add search engines. So installed the "Selection Search" extension. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/selection-search/gipnlpdeieaidmmeaichnddnmjmcakoe?hl=en
    Got hooked to it. Nothing comes close. But would be great if Vivaldi support this features natively.

• @veljanovski Did you try to select something and then right-click on the selection?

selection-search.png

• @Catweazle
    Hello again. Thanks for the advice.
    So, where would I be if I removed the status bar, where could I find the webpage zoom as it exists in Chrome, Opera, and Firefox?
    Are there any extensions specifically for zoom?

2019-11-22 16.22.16 vivaldi.com 3ac52330aed8.png

• Ambassador

@UserVB said in Search your favorite websites quickly:

@Catweazle
    Hello again. Thanks for the advice.
    So, where would I be if I removed the status bar, where could I find the webpage zoom as it exists in Chrome, Opera, and Firefox?
    Are there any extensions specifically for zoom?

2019-11-22 16.22.16 vivaldi.com 3ac52330aed8.png

No, but I usually adjust the zoom simply with Ctrl + Scroll, so I don't need the Scroll bar in the status bar either

• @quhno: Sure I did. But extension's menu is just a double click on selection away or activated on icon that shows right after selecting something. Search engines have favicons (configurable) and can be sticky, meaning one can click on several search engines.
    I wish to see some of those features built in so i can get rid of the extension, but not for now.
    p.s. How do I attach an image to this reply?

• Ambassador

@veljanovski said in Search your favorite websites quickly:

@quhno: Sure I did. But extension's menu is just a double click on selection away or activated on icon that shows right after selecting something. Search engines have favicons (configurable) and can be sticky, meaning one can click on several search engines.
    I wish to see some of those features built in so i can get rid of the extension, but not for now.
    p.s. How do I attach an image to this reply?

The forum uses Markdown codes. To host images use

![](imageurl)

To upload images you can use for example imgur, pictshare or imgbox, which give you the necessary url.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.