Decoding network activity in Vivaldi

• @reyn: "dangerous" in quotes is a good way to put it. What is the threat here? That done websites make use of GCM for their notifications, and Google will know that a notification was sent to some IP address? This isn't related to the Vivaldi browser, is a user-initiated behavior, so if anyone has that as a threat in their threat model, mitigation is simple -- don't sign up for notifications from websites that make use of GCM.

For me, this isn't an issue. I don't like notifications from websites in general, and never allow them. Even if I did, I'm almost always connected to a VPN, so my IP address isn't unique to me. The GCM servers aren't Google'd tracking servers. I suppose it's possible that they're used for tracking, but one could look into the ToS & privacy policy to confirm that. Point being, the risk is minimal with easy mitigation available. People who are highly concerned about exposing their IP address should be, and likely already are, using a VPN.

• I have a few questions:

1. When Vivaldi contacts Google servers, does Google log our IP address?
    2. If we have a VPN via a browser extension, does Vivaldi route the transactions to the VPN when communicating with Google servers? Or does Vivaldi communicate "raw" with Google during loading of browser before the browser loads the browser extensions?
    3. Is it possible for Vivaldi to create a proxy endpoints for those essential Google endpoints mentioned in this article so that Vivaldi browser does not directly communicate with Google's server?

• - Ambassador -

Another question, what would happen to Vivaldi, when Google blocks its Chromium APIs (not only Sync) for other browsers than Chrome on March 15?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.