Minimum tab width when too many tabs in one window

• There needs to be a minimum tab width or it becomes unusable with large number of tabs. When the number of tabs goes above 20 per window, switching tabs visually becomes more and more unusable as each tab shrinks to oblivion. When the title disappears, favicons are not enough to distinguish between windows on the same site. In an extreme case (50+ tabs), even the favicons are no longer visible. [attachment=1649]vivaldi.png[/attachment] This is the same reason that prevented me from switching to Chrome and Opera. I want to move away from Firefox (which is showing signs of dying) but can't until I find a browser that can handle a large number of windows and tabs. I would love to have a scrolling tab bar and a drop down box listing all the tabs in the window, like on Firefox. [attachment=1647]firefox.png[/attachment] Or maybe some sort of tab stacking like in Sublime text 3. [attachment=1648]sublime3.png[/attachment] I don't expect this to be a common use case for the average web user, but for a browser aimed at the power user, it seems important to allow for that option. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/64725/firefox.png[/img],[img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/64725/sublime3.png[/img],[img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/64725/vivaldi.png[/img]

• Vivaldi already has tab-stacking. Right-click on a tab to group all similar tabs in a stack.

Chrome based browser are not well suited to opening loads of tabs. Each tab is a separate process. Tab-stacking does not solve that problem, but it does tidy up the tab bar.

• @mesvam:

… I want to move away from Firefox (which is showing signs of dying) ...

Can you list some examples? I have several friends who would be s*** outta luck if Firefox died, and I'd be kind of sad myself. It's would be like when Presto died, only significantly less sad to me because I don't use Firefox daily, like how I used Opera daily before they dropped Presto. At the time, no other browser could do anything even half as well as Opera, and to this day Opera 12 is basically the most amazing browser available. Granted, it's no longer being maintained so there are some major problems, but it's still [functionally] the best out there. If Firefox dies, those users will need to go some place else, and that's a lot of users.

They're not going to go to Chrome, because Firefox is where a significant portion of Opera users went when Presto died, and because Chrome is no. It's just no. They could come here, but Vivaldi isn't finished yet (despite the fact it's amazing and already very stable), and I would advise average users against using it until it is finished. If Firefox dies, there'd be only one major browser left, Google Chrome. Unless we count Edge and Vivaldi. I didn't count Vivaldi because I don't know that any statistics are available with information about how many users it has, and I didn't include Edge because it's only ever going to be available for the Windows platform. Also there's Safari, but that's only available on Apple software.

We must never reach a point where the only categories for web browsers are Chrome and "Other". That day will be a very sad day.

Here's hoping that Vivaldi takes off and never dies (or at least not for a very, very long time)!

Apologies for going massively off-topic and kind of rambling during this post.

• I don't remember the details off the top of my head, but a while back Google pulled their money out of Firefox. I head something like 90% of FF's money came from making Google the default search engine. Then the new Australis interface was pushed out which dumbed down the interface into a Chrome-clone and created a lot of disgruntled users. Naturally, an extension was created that reverted this change and is now one of the most popular extensions. And now a recent announcement of a plan to change the core such that it would be incompatible with all existing extensions, while also limiting what new extensions could do. Once this happens, the biggest advantage of FF, the ability to customize absolutely anything and everything, will be gone and power users will have no reason to use FF over other faster and more secure browsers.

It seems that FF is becoming increasingly out of touch with it's core user base: power users. FF has been steadily bleeding users to Chrome for a long time and no sign it's going to stop. Also development seems to be getting slower. Projects to bring 64-bit and multithreading/multiprocess to FF has been in development for years and still hasn't appeared in the main branch, while Chrome, Opera, and even I.E. have had them for years by now. FF probably won't actually "die" for a while, but my impression is that it will bleed users until it eventually disappears.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.