Vivaldi 2.9: Adding more to the Vivaldi Menu

• @raoulg: This happened in Windows 10 too (I haven´t noticed until I read this hehe).

• @mib2berlin: In my case, I've always updated Vivaldi using the Help menu option. It would be nice for Vivaldi to notify an update; I'd like to avoid this manual verification. (I'm now used to it because I like a lot new features of Vivaldi, but it's not the very best to do this manually)

• @metafaniel Is Settings, Updates, “Notify About Updates” enabled?

• Awesome 🙂

• @pesala: Thanks, that works.
    Not intuitive, and no ui hints or tooltips. A UX fail.

One used to be able to click-hold and drag it down to collapse it but for some reason in their infinite wisdom they disabled that. GONE. Should also have a tiny X in the top right corner.

Many other things that used to work but they've disabled are...
    hold plus or minus continuously zoom. GONE (now you have to click click click click click click)
    up-down on scroll wheel when hovered mouse pointer over the zoom slider bar in the status bar. GONE

Seems like every update there are more customizations removed, and more bugs and instabilities added.
    Hope they don't go the inevitable route of the now highly opinionated, tightly-constrained, useless Opera.

Thanks again!
    Enjoy your surfing.

• Continuous zoom on hold is not so good for fine control. How often does one need more than two or three clicks? There is always Ctrl+Scrollwheel if you do need that.
    • The double-arrow cursor could use a tooltip (Double-click or Middle-click to collapse/expand). Drag to collapse would be good too.
    • Hover and scroll over zoom slider still works for me

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1903 build 18362.418 • Stable 2.9.1705.34 (64-bit)

• @pesala: yes the scrollwheel zoom is back working again. It wasn't working for a few versions. Zoom has tended to have a different behavior for nearly every update, eg, the slider bar was inadvertently disabled for a few versions when opening up a new tab.

The continuous zoom is very useful. Rarely does one have to zoom from 100% to 110%.
    Usually need to zoom from 100% to 200% or 300%, especially for small images.
    Fine control is not a problem, because it wasn't super fast, it was slow enough to stop where you wanted it by releasing the button.
    Zooming-in is not even fun anymore, since you lose 5 or 10 seconds, and since the UI resizes-redraws for each zoom increment now and is very janky.

• @triumph You have an unusual workflow if you regularly zoom in to 200 or 300%. Most webpages only need a few percent change to become readable or to fit the browser window. Their zoom level can be saved too.

Try entering the zoom value in the Zoom percentage field or assign shortcuts to Page Zoom Double and Page Zoom Half.

Page Zoom Shortcuts.png

• @Pesala said in Vivaldi 2.9: Adding more to the Vivaldi Menu:

@triumph You have an unusual workflow if you regularly zoom in to 200 or 300%. Most webpages only need a few percent change to become readable or to fit the browser window. Their zoom level can be saved too.

Try entering the zoom value in the Zoom percentage field or assign shortcuts to Page Zoom Double and Page Zoom Half.

Page Zoom Shortcuts.png

Or switch from the IMO pointless and inaccurate slider to the small and efficient buttons (settings -> appearance -> use buttons in range controls). If you really want to go straight to 300% then just click the number and enter 300...

• Ambassador

I usually use Ctrl + scroll normally, I don't even have the statusbar visible with the Zoom slider, unnecessary for me.

• @tvrznikmichal Hi this fix from @vancom worked for me. just backup vivaldi from appdata just in case while in 2.8 then delete the login data file for the default profile you're using and update to 2.9 started without a hitch in my case. imagea.PNG

• Great work, but I notice problem with speed dial mouse scroll click to open tab in background. After upgrade to 2.9 scroll click on mouse open tab in background but then it is lock on scroling mode, problem exist when there is more tabs in speed dial, more that can fit screen.

@laor87 Issue with the middle mouse button is this bug:
    VB-59677 "Middle mouse button in Speed Dial open tab and enable scrolling in the same time."

• Best version so far! Gains in performance are definitely noticeable. How you achieved this and how you're continuing to "trim" Vivaldi might be worth a blog entry.

Oh, and please consider an auto-session-save functionality [m/hr/d] for the already available native session management.

Some time ago I had an instance where my computer froze and I couldn't restore the last session using the regular (chromium based?) method for whatever reason.

So an extra layer of security by Vivaldi would be most welcomed, as I'm sure.

• @matt2kay

Oh, and please consider an auto-session-save functionality [m/hr/d] for the already available native session management.

...auto-session-save, that already exists, see here:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/33047/autosave-sessions-mod

2019-11-06 08_33_23-Window.jpg

2019-11-06 08_33_53-Window.jpg

• @stardepp
    Thank you. I'm aware of this mod. Problem is, I'm no programer. As the majority of Vivaldi users probably are not. I also use Vivaldi productively, so experimenting isn't much of an option. Therefore an official solution would be much preferred. Which would also be in line with Vivaldi's motto to do as much as possible natively and out of the box.

modedit removed full quote

@matt2kay If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please read how to make such request at Feature Requests forum and add a request.

• @Gwen-Dragon Thanks! From what I can tell there are multiple entries of the kind already.

@matt2kay And could you upvote the 1rst post of the existing feature requests you found?

• @matt2kay Vote for one or more the existing feature requests to Autosave Sessions

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.