Hamburger (Menu thingy) can we get rid of it?

• Of late I always get that bleepin' hamburger (three lines to activate a menu at the top right) :( . I most definitely prefer the previous menu bar style. I remember some discussion about this a while back but I suppose this may have fallen in the priorities. The hamburger, I find, is difficult to navigate with netbook/trackpad and small screen. Is it possible to perhaps give us a choice? I will live with it if I have to but it definitely lessens the experience of Vivaldi.net.

• I don't get that style menu here. Afaik, that menu is only displayed when the monitor is smaller than a certain size. ie, on a large display, if you zoom in, you get the hamburger menu. On a smaller display, zoom out, you get the regular menu. I'm on a 16:9 25" display, and this is the menu that I see:

[attachment=1590]Screenshotfrom2015-08-21170430.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• It seems intermittent.
    Most times I see the 'hamburger' but many times the traditional menu you have posted. Can never guess which I will see.
    My netbook has a 10" screen. I am on it now seeing the traditional menu.
    My other box is attached to a 21" (16 x 9) monitor, same there. Never know what I will see.

Perhaps I should start some kind of pool ;). Or start to log the menus so I can report it.

Oddly, it depends on how you arrive at the site. On ANY mobile device, only the hamburger menu is shown, and that is probably correct unless you have your mobile browser set to display in desktop mode.

On desktop, when you should essentially NEVER see the hamburger, you get it every time you go to the page by a link (links within the community, at least), and never if you go to it by a bookmark. Zoom level or display size does not appear to be a factor here.

Here's what I find weird: on my laptops both Windows 10 with 16:10 monitors, the traditional menu scrolls out of view as you scroll down the page. On my main desktop display, Windows 10, the menu stays put while the page scrolls by underneath it. This is with an HD-capable 16:9 24-in monitor. On my backup desktop, Win 10 with a 4:3 LCD monitor, it acts the same as on a laptop. I can't figure out WHAT factor is causing the optimum behavior only my my main rig, but on no others - but I DO know how to dodge the cursed hamburger menu on PC, and that is to come to this page by bookmark only, no other way.

• Also might be a browser thing…

If I use Vivaldy, I get there through a link in the speed dial.
    If I use Opera Developer, I get there through a link in the speed dial.
    If I use Seamonkey, it is my homepage and goes here straight away.
    If I use Firefox, I usually type in the URL (https://vivaldi.net) and it routes me to: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/

These are common browsers on both machines (as I am still looking for a suitable replacement for Opera (Presto)). All the speed dials are configured to: https://vivaldi.net

Have never bookmarked the site and tried that way.

By the by, I am now on Seamonkey and see the hamburger on my netbook. :huh:
    Just fired up Vivaldi (1.0.258.3 (Developer Build) (32-bit)) and get the traditional menu.
    Opera Dev gives me the traditional menu.
    Firefox's latest build gives me the traditional menu.
    Opera 12 is showing the hamburger.

In Vivaldi, at least, a Speed Dial IS a bookmark - and I think opera has gone to that format as well - for what it's worth.

This is some sort of hybrid browser/link sniffing that Kunena (the host software) is doing that promotes this inconsistent user experience. Vivaldi community leaders (Tatsuki) have said they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it, but so far nothing has changed. I suspect Kunena software is not as accommodating as our generous hosts might have hoped.

• Not quite … on Opera Blink, speed dials are shown in the Bookmarks Manager, but they do not appear in the Bookmarks menu.

Well, Opera does store them in the Bookmark database in bookmark data format as I understand it, so the fact that they wall them off as to where that portion of the database may be viewed from does not, I think, change the way in which they take you to an address to view it.

• @Ayespy:

In Vivaldi, at least, a Speed Dial IS a bookmark - and I think opera has gone to that format as well - for what it's worth.

Yes, I seem to go to "Chrome/extensions/…" page to edit bookmarks in both browsers.

@Ayespy:

This is some sort of hybrid browser/link sniffing that Kunena (the host software) is doing that promotes this inconsistent user experience. Vivaldi community leaders (Tatsuki) have said they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it, but so far nothing has changed. I suspect Kunena software is not as accommodating as our generous hosts might have hoped.

Quite the possibility but I know too little about it to comment.

• I always get the same menu regardless of how I reach the site. I had forgotten about the hamburger menu before I saw this thread because it's been months since I last saw it. Of course, I was also not on the forums for a couple months, so there was no opportunity during that time for me to see the menu in any state. Zooming in far enough does eventually show me the hamburger menu, and zooming back out shows me the regular menu. And the menu always scrolls with the page, which has never really bothered me because that feels pretty standard to me.

It's strange that it seems no single machine ever displays the menu the same way for you, Ayespy.

• I had not noticed the Hamburger for a few days but I find myself using SeaMonkey today as FF and Vivaldi are crashing, gotta do that update thing.
    Anyway here we are again.

Wondering if there is something in the way vivaldi.net recognizes the SeaMonkey browser??

SeaMonkey:
    version 2.33.1

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1
    Build identifier: 20150321194901

Just a thought…
    Attachments:

• Something new today loging in with SeaMonkey, there is now a "Welcome SeaMonkey" as I log in.

See the screenshot.

Thank You, Vivaldi.net site developers!!!
    It is greatly appreciated.

o
    On a sidenote,
    I've noticed using SeaMonkey on Startpage that it seems to recognized as "Camino"! I haven't heard of anyone using Camino in 5 or 6 years.Thought the Camino project was no longer in the works.
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.