Vivaldi goes mobile

• @michaelamadio with F-Droid is possible user add 3rd repository, and F-Droid is used as app install&update manager, then if Vivaldi create custom repository in F-Droid format, then user can add manually this repository in F-Droid settings... more info:
    https://f-droid.org/en/tutorials/add-repo/
    https://f-droid.org/en/tutorials/create-repo/

• Glad to finally have another browser option on Android (and with sync)

• Thank you! πŸ™‚ For the first beta this is absolute fantastic. It is fast, sync works fine (I hope it continue doing that, I don't want to lose the bookmarks bar on desktop πŸ˜‰ ). πŸ™‚

This now my default browser on Android. The first time I change my default browser with the first beta. πŸ™‚

• @Komposten I never installed the app I just took a look at the permissions:

Kontakte
    read your contacts
    find accounts on the device
    Kamera
    take pictures and videos
    IdentitΓ€t
    add or remove accounts
    find accounts on the device
    Mikrofon
    record audio
    Fotos/Medien/Dateien
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    read the contents of your USB storage
    Speicher
    GerΓ€te- und App-Verlauf
    read your Web bookmarks and history
    WLAN-Verbindungsinformationen
    view Wi-Fi connections
    Standort
    precise location (GPS and network-based)
    approximate location (network-based)
    Sonstiges
    download files without notification
    read sync statistics
    receive data from Internet
    view network connections
    reorder running apps
    control vibration
    toggle sync on and off
    pair with Bluetooth devices
    write web bookmarks and history
    read sync settings
    prevent device from sleeping
    run at startup
    install shortcuts
    change your audio settings
    full network access
    control Near Field Communication
    use accounts on the device
    access Bluetooth settings

Horrible. These are the permissions of my current browser:

Fotos/Medien/Dateien
    Speicher
    Sonstiges
    view network connections
    full network access
    run at startup
    prevent device from sleeping
    install shortcuts

• Have you discovered that there is also a widget for Vivaldi? "Vivaldi Search" widget.

IMG_20190911_100506.jpg

• Vivaldi Translator

@6HRFcBhv Okay, that list is quite ridiculous. I don't mind too much since the app has to ask for access when it wants to use new permissions (but maybe this doesn't apply to everything?), but the dev team should probably look into trimming that list since they will most certainly not need a majority of that stuff (like reordering apps, access BT or touch non-Vivaldi sync).

• @Komposten said in Vivaldi goes mobile:

the dev team should probably look into trimming that list since they will most certainly not need a majority of that stuff (like reordering apps, access BT or touch non-Vivaldi sync).

Also - "Sonstiges" (miscellaneous)... πŸ˜•

• This is so great, a huge thanks for the whole Vivaldi team !
    So far, Android version is pretty solid (for a beta), I can now enjoy a neat Vivaldi experience on all my devices.

• Vivaldi Team

@t0yz: The scrolling issue is known yeah, we are looking into fixing it πŸ™‚ Sadly the current speed dial implementation depends on the site's to provide a big enough image, and if they don't we scale it to size afaik. Hopefully we will have a better solution for this at a later date πŸ™‚

• @6HRFcBhv I'm pretty sure they used most android permissions just to avoid possible issues on the launch of the Beta.

According to the privacy, I also think that Vivaldi won't erase my phone contacts, injecting ads in my lockscreen, playing four seasons at loud volume or remove some of my apps.
    About BT permission may have sense if the beta (or a newer one) allow to playback html5 video/audio on the car, as few browser (FF/opera) seems to do.

Quite sure several permissions would be removed if not need, but their presence don't actually means they are used or abused.
    You have to trust it or not, after all "you" are still using a beta product.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

for the moment I use Vivaldi Only for registered sites, such as this forum and Brave to surf the web. It's not because I couldn't do it with Vivaldi, but the lack of an adblocker and the excess of ads still makes it very annoying on a smartphone with 5 '' screen. Apart from this it is impeccable.

• @Aronand Thanks for everything, your work is appreciated.
    You think there's a chance for better History sync between desktop and mobile? As things are now, I can't see on my desktop what I visit on the mobile. It would be awesome to have a "Continue on PC" sort of function like it's the case with Windows 10, Edge and Your Phone.

• @t0yz Don't think that's needed. First of all you can of course leave the tabs you want to see on the desktop open and use the inbuilt sync function to access them on desktop. A second option would be to make a new bookmarks folder specifically for tabs you want to access on another device after closing them. In the long run it would make the most sense to bring sessions to mobile, which would simply save all your open or selected tabs. The tools are already available, no need to carbon copy another browser.

• @dakira tab pinning would be a dream, too

• @k3dAR gotta agree with most of that but the "super small x" πŸ™‚ is perfect for me. Too many gestures all over the place have ruined some browsers. Maybe they could add the option to "swipe delete" tabs in accessibility...

• @Kocho me too

• BOOM!

• @luetage That's the problem, the sync between mobile and desktop (Android 9 and Windows 10 1903 in case it matters) is not working OK. The History is not syncing well (if at all). What I visit on the desktop doesn't appear on mobile even after hours. And what I visited on mobile does not appear on the desktop. Syncing everything possible, same account logged.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@t0yz said in Vivaldi goes mobile:

@luetage That's the problem, the sync between mobile and desktop (Android 9 and Windows 10 1903 in case it matters) is not working OK. The History is not syncing well (if at all). What I visit on the desktop doesn't appear on mobile even after hours. And what I visited on mobile does not appear on the desktop. Syncing everything possible, same account logged.

I had no problems with sync, I have on PC (W10) and Android 7 all the bookmarks and passwords, even the notes.

• @Catweazle I have those too. What I don't have is the History of visited websites, which seems to be unique for desktop and mobile.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.