Time Travel

• According to Einstein time travel is possible. So, let's just say you jumped into your time machine where would you go ? My first stop would be ancient Egypt so as to learn once and for all how those pyramids were really built. I would probably pay a visit to Leonardo DaVinci's and if I had some spare time on my hands I would hitch a ride on Christopher Columbus's boat, and chat with the guy to see if he was an Italian or a Spaniard and most importantly, maybe he would spill the beans as to where he got that secret map of his that took him to the new world. My last and final stop in time would be when man first made his entrance on this planet and see if he emerged from the sea or did he finally got tired eating bananas one day, dropped to the floor from a tree and started walking upright. So tell me my fellow readers, if you had a time machine where would you go ???

• For starters, the turn of the 20th century. Things would be different enough to be interesting yet still somewhat familiar. I could meet some great grandparents.

Then I would like to see the Mayan cities and pyramids in Mexico and Guatemala. I am a fan of this history and would like to see these places while they were in full use.

There was a charming movie about time travel from a few decades ago that I liked:

Time After Time (1979 film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_After_Time_(1979_film)

• I am with you on the Mayan Empire. It is of great interest to me. I have been to Guatemala several times. A hobby of mine is the collection of Mayan pottery. In my den at home its full of Mayan artefact and of precious and semi precious stones in the rough. Currently, I am looking to buy a crystal skull. There is a guy who sells them on the internet.

But, getting back to time travel. I have heard some people say that the past is not important. We, as citizens of the world should pay great attention to the past. We learn from the past and by looking at the past, we can avoid making the same mistakes

• "So, let's just say you jumped into your time machine where would you go ?"

You both have great ideas, though I think I find the Mayan trip, to me, would be most interesting.

My personal choice though would be the to be to be able to meet my good musical buddy J. S. Bach. From what I've gathered he also enjoyed a tankard or two of fine ale so I am sure we'd get along famously.

• Unfortunately, I am a mundane person and I need my comforts. Consequently, I need indoor water driven toilets and toilet paper.
    So I would go back to 1957, it is selfish but at that time we were building the Boeing 707. We were beginning to do some space stuff and the cars were simple and fixable.
    At that time we all looked at the stars and not at the dirt. The world and the universe was ours.
    I would like to have those feelings again.
    If I could go back on day trips. I would like to talk to Hitler, Stalin, Ho, Mao and so on. I want to find out if they were believers or just crazy a stupid.

• Indeed, meeting up with Hitler would be interesting and scary at the same time. Knowing now how his mind works, I hink going back in time would reveal his fanaticism and how egomaniacs like him are all cut by the same stone. Problem with Hitler was, he was so into himself, that he was known to talk for hours at a time and would never allow you to inject your point of view. Most definitely a tough character to meet.

Going back in time, a few other choices of mine would be, to be in the Roman Coliseum and be present when Caesar would give the thumbs up or the thumbs down and I think I would also of like to have been in the presence of Cleopatra. So, she would reveal to me her art of seduction.

• So, Bach was a drinking man, sort of a party animal ? Maybe that's why he had 20 children ?

• From what I hear, yes.
    There are apparently bar bills still around from his travels attributed to Bach. (According to a radio show I heard recently about him.)

• My first journey would be to Jerusalem about 2014 years ago, give or take a few years. I want to see for myself what transpired with Jesus of Nazareth, so in some respects perhaps Thomas and I have something in common. If I could verify what so many for generations have taken on faith, then no other history would rise to that significance, for me. On the other hand, if that faith turns out to be mostly just delusion and imagination, I would go back another 20 centuries to watch Abram who became Abraham, to see what really happened then. Those two points in history have occupied much of my 20th and 21st century attention, but I still want to see it for myself.

• If you don't mind I'll take that journey with you, Jerry. For me, I woukd like to participate in the last supper and break bread with Christ. If I did that, it would allow me to look into the eyes if Judasj

• Perhaps preparation in the form of learning fluency in Aramaic and Hebrew of the age, as well, perhaps, as Arabic and Lebanese from the region, would be helpful for such a trip, if one wished to understand much of what could be observed. Abraham's Hebrew was of a far more ancient dialect than during Jesus' age. Few scholars today would be helpful in learning fluency with it. And don't forget the Latin of the Roman Empire, which is two dialects earlier than what Latin students study today. It would also be useful to have documents establishing Roman citizenship in Jesus' time.

• @Eyes_of_a_Painter:

According to Einstein time travel is possible.

Not in the defined range of his formulas, only in his opinion - maybe.

I personally wouldn't want to travel in time, I couldn't understand the people or their behavior - which could be worse then not understanding the language sometimes. You don't get the exotic bonus everywhere or at every time …

• @Eyes_of_a_Painter:

If you don't mind I'll take that journey with you, Jerry. For me, I woukd like to participate in the last supper and break bread with Christ. If I did that, it would allow me to look into the eyes if Judasj

There is a theory that Judas was not a bad guy but a part of a larger plan. It seems that Judas had to do what he did so that the rest of the mission could be completed as necesarry. I rather believe that may be true if so Judas might be just a regular desciple that took orders from God or Jesus.
    One last thing for Painter and Jerry, you both seem to be very much the believers. If you can admit that by or calculations we might miss the time and place, would that affect your faith?

• @QuHno:

@Eyes_of_a_Painter:

Thanks for pointing that out. Seems a lot of theory gets thrown around as proofs. Not only that but I am certain that Einstien didn't consider time travel for human conciousness

• @QuHno:

@Eyes_of_a_Painter:

I personally wouldn't want to travel in time, I couldn't understand the people or their behavior - which could be worse then not understanding the language sometimes. You don't get the exotic bonus everywhere or at every time …

Implying you understand people s behavior now?

• @jimc:

@QuHno:

@Eyes_of_a_Painter:

Thanks for pointing that out. Seems a lot of theory gets thrown around as proofs. Not only that but I am certain that Einstien didn't consider time travel for human con(s)ciousness

I am pretty sure he did, but … not to be able to act upon it may be frustrating. I guess there are too many conditions to consider: not in your own lifetime, may be not even on your own location? Because random time travel is like flying in an airplane: artificial! We are already traveling you know, our life time.

• @Eyes_of_a_Painter:

According to Hitler and Joseph Stalin it isn't possible to go backwards. Going the other way is called sleep.

• Lot of theories on time travel out there. At the present moment I am building a time machine in my garage. Problem I am having is Walmart has that part on back order. So, if and when that part comes in I will try my hand on traveling back into the past or the future. Stay tuned my fellow readers

• Good luck with that, but I guess enough alcohol can do all kinds of things.

• Here is another idea regarding time travel. Some might consider it to be crazier than trying to build your own time machine. The idea consist on meditation, and literally reaching such an inner enlightenment that one comes into contact with what some refer to as..The Akashic Records. Some say its a place where time does not exist, that its a place of the NOW only. And in that NOW one can experience the past, the present and the future. This timeless place explains how some advanced minds create such futuristic ideas, or how these futuristic ideas are thought by more than one person at the same time. Some say this is Part of the mind of God and that these ideas are filter to humanity to create geniuses and to help in our advancement.

So yeah, sounds pretty crazy and maybe a little alcohol from time to time makes me think in strange ways and brain storm in such matters

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.