Speed dials limitations

• I began adding speed dials by using 'Use as speed dial' context menu item for bookmark folders. I added several speed dials and reached an end, beyond which I couldn't see the dials. I also couldn't scroll through them because there is no horizontal scroll bar or a redundant speed dials button (i.e. '>>') to go to to the most distant dials. So, how do you manage to create & use speed dials beyond the top horizontal bar reach?

• I've never had more than three folders being used as speed dial, but I just added several more to try and replicate what you're talking about and ended up with a bug where after a while folders stop keeping their names in the speed dial, and just start to inherit the name of the last folder to be added. I now have seven entries on that bar for "To Do" and none of them have the same contents. In order to fix what I'd done, I had to delete all of my bookmarks and re-import them from my last backup.

OT: I'd say there probably isn't a workaround for that, and that it's a missing feature. I'd also recommend adding folders within your primary speed dial folders in order to keep things cleaner and more organized. IE, here's a screenshot of my speed dial:

[attachment=1548]Screenshotfrom2015-08-15153923.png[/attachment]

Having so many folders on that bar that you can't effectively navigate through your speed dial seems like the opposite of the point of the speed dial, imho.
    Attachments:

• @Tiamarth:

… after a while folders stop keeping their names in the speed dial, and just start to inherit the name of the last folder to be added.

Here on a Windows 10 System with Vivaldi 1.0.233.3 (Entwickler-Build) (64-Bit) I get the following picture

[attachment=1552]20150816SpeedDial.jpg[/attachment]

Always the next new folder has the name 'New Folder' and you can just change it to any name. Your screenshot is showing one folder only. I am just curious how this 'inherit' result would look like.
    Attachments:

• @RJules3:

Always the next new folder has the name 'New Folder' and you can just change it to any name. Your screenshot is showing one folder only. I am just curious how this 'inherit' result would look like.

You misunderstood what we were talking about: not adding folders to the speed dial, but using folders as the speed dial.

[attachment=1553]Screenshotfrom2015-08-16104251.png[/attachment]

Edit: I just now noticed that I also had five entries for "Internal Links." So it doesn't constantly inherit the same folder's name. The first time I did this while I was trying to replicate what nutcracker was talking about, the folder names didn't start replicating themselves until after the sixth or seventh entry.

Also, for clarity: I didn't create new folders to use as speed dial, I opened my bookmarks in the side panels and right clicked on several existing folders to use them as the speed dial.
    Attachments:

• Thank you! Now I got it and it's the same here.

Initially the content of the folders I created via right click in the bookmark panel was switched. Now after closing the speed dial tab and reopening it, all the folder names are correct and the content is also okay. Funny thing, that the last created folder is now at the second place directly besides speed dial.
    Now I try to go back to the original condition.

• @Tiamarth:

Having so many folders on that bar that you can't effectively navigate through your speed dial seems like the opposite of the point of the speed dial, imho.

My opera 12 grid was(is) 9x5 and was the better thing after the invention of the wheel.

The customizzable SD grid is the thing I miss more on vivaldi (aside the mail client, obviously)

• There definitely should be an horizontal scroll bar or a redundant dials button. If you flood the speed dials top bar, there is nowhere to go!
    PS: I used - as a workout - the folder method and, of course, it worked but the folder icon is ugly. I believe we must have the possibility of inserting our own icons instead of the native ones.

• @The_Solutor:

My opera 12 grid was(is) 9x5 and was the better thing after the invention of the wheel.

The customizzable SD grid is the thing I miss more on vivaldi (aside the mail client, obviously)

I absolutely agree - I wasn't complaining about populated speed dials, only about the concept of using so many folders as the speed dial that it becomes a hindrance to navigate them.

@nutcracker:

PS: I used - as a workout - the folder method and, of course, it worked but the folder icon is ugly. I believe we must have the possibility of inserting our own icons instead of the native ones.

I like the way Vivaldi looks by default, so I've never had any reason to try this, but I'd wager you can customize the icons Vivaldi uses by going to %localappdata%/Vivaldi/Application/(version number)/resources/vivaldi/resources

Again, I do not know for certain that editing those files will change any of the visuals in Vivaldi, but it's worth a shot and won't really break anything beyond easy repair.

Otherwise, the horizontal scroll bar and an easier way to customize everything will probably be added in a later version of the browser.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.