Zeitgeist removal

• Removing Zeitgeist sped things up considerably on this old Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 1G RAM, LXLE Dell. It just barely keeps the CPU from pegging out with video, running around 93-98% with only the occasional pegging and skip in the audio - most of the CPU usage is the display, I think. If I reduce the size of the window, I can keep it from pegging out and if I make it small, I can get CPU down around 70-75%. This window runs about 40%. The amount of improvement I'm seeing is far beyond the improvement reported by others and may be a problem with this old monitor. I've always had trouble with the resolution on this Norcent monitor which is accurate, right now, but this particular setting isn't actually an option on startup. Not sure how that works. When I reboot, it's wrong and there's no option for the correct resolution but eventually the correct option either appears, or sometimes it simply sets itself...so it appears software is doing all the work - not sure how or why...it did the same thing with XP.

• I think removing Zeitgeist for later versions is a little more precise with regards to exactly what's removed as it is tied in with Unity somehow. I simply removed zeitgeist, whereas someone who runs a version with Unity appears to have only removed its datahub and core which did not affect Unity - at least that's what he said. The CL he posted doesn't quite look like it did what he thought it did - unless the one I used didn't do what I thought it did. I just removed "zeitgeist". He removed "zeitgeist" AND "zeitgeist-datahub" and "zeitgeist-core" - which seems like they would have been removed with zeitgeist, right? I don't know.

It strikes me as odd to find such an aggressive activity logger in Linux…does it seem odd to anyone else?

• "Zeitgeist" is something I came across only in Ubuntu. I can't remember anything about such a tool in distributions like Manjaro, Fedora, or Debian but there is no warranty these distributions are clean. If you built a 'Linux' from the scratch, you could avoid such a risk in toto, so it's not a 'Linux issue'.

User data seems to be something like a 'currency' on the web. I am not surprised a company like Canonical is trying to participate in this line of business.

The National Security Agency of the United States has collected Zetta Bytes of user data. Therefore I am absolutely relaxed, if a company is participating in this game. They won't have the same kind of server capacity. I didn't switch off "Zeitgeist" on my Ubuntu system. You may switch something off but who has the deep knowledge of the whole system and can say data collection doesn't happen now? I think the possibilities of profiling via smartphones are worse and something rather to be concerned about, irrespective of the operating system (Microsoft, Google or Apple) you are using.

• That's interesting…my ultimate destination is Slackware and I agree about phones which is why I'm still using a 5 year old tracfone. I just use it for texting and travel and have accumulated about 4000 minutes, lol. I buy a card, once a year when the yearly cards are on sale just so I have a cell phone if I need one.

Other than that - I'm not extremely concerned about privacy other than identity theft and being bombarded with advertising and marketing crap, which really creeps me out after having given up television and so-called "news" almost 10 years ago.

• Wow! an 'ultimate destination' with regard to Linux distributions. You are making me smile! Distributions come and go, don't be disappointed too much, if your preferred brand just evaporates.
    Wow again! 4000 minutes - and I thought travelers are collecting miles only! :)
    Finally a third wow! You have given up TV news!? But now you are missing all this 'beautiful' infotainment. Okay, even I know it's just a stupid waste of time.

• Slackware's been around a while and I doubt it's going anywhere, anytime soon, which is exactly the point. I just want to make sure that Linux, in general, can do what I want to do before I shell out 50 bucks for a disk

And i didn't just give up TV news - I gave up television, altogether - AND all "news" sources - i.e. newspapers, magazines, blogs - the whole "current affairs" kit-n-kaboodle. I recently found out that Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are dead -which I only mention because someone recently told me that it just isn't possible that I didn't know that, LOL.

• @tooo:

… I just want to make sure that Linux, in general, can do what I want to do ...

Here a quote from Wikipedia about Slackware: '… Without further modification it boots into a command-line interface environment. Because of its many conservative and simplistic features, Slackware is considered to be most suitable for advanced and technically inclined Linux users. ...'

For myself I can say a system starting with a blinking cursor in the top left and nothing else is kind of frustrating. To repair something in a configuration file it's okay but not for having fun with a working system.

So I wish you very, very good luck with this Linux distribution!

• Wikipedia might not be the best place to get Linux information. Or, at least, with regard to Slackware.

Search again and, instead of clicking wikipedia, click google images.

• Wikipedia isn't wrong; pre-installation, Slackware boots to a command-line. Slackware has a relatively technical and intimidating installation process, imho. But I'm looking at it from an average consumer perspective

• Interesting - I don't understand what either of you are saying…obviously you don't install it every time you boot...but I think we're talking about two different things....maybe...I don't know.

The concept of "technically advanced" is a big fat lie. All it means is that the subject has its own language which means, "There's a lexicon for that.".

The reason it's interesting is because, coincidentally, I just read a "sports report" on a vintage baseball game that was written in vintage baseball language and found this - http://baseball.epicsports.com/baseball-glossary.html

I love glossaries. With the right glossary, you can do anything. And there are many command line glossaries!

• My only point is that an average user, after becoming used to a GUI, may not immediately understand how to install Slackware. I have no issue with Slackware though, and while I have not personally used it: I have heard many good things.

• Sorry for causing some confusion here!

To not befuddle anybody now I won't say one word about baseball. ;)

Of course everybody can use that operating system which suits best. If it is Slackware, be my guest. If it is working for you the way you expect it ('I love glossaries. With the right glossary, you can do anything.'), I am not the one trying to convince you of a different system. When I wished you 'Good Luck' it wasn't with tongue in cheek but genuine.

No, you don't install a system every time you are booting it (with a live system it would be possible) but some distributions reveal what you can expect later on during the installation process.

Now I have seen the graphical desktop environment you can install with the Slackware distribution. So you don't see the blinking cursor exclusively. If you don't chose to install it, Wikipedia is still right but I admit the expression 'without further modification' led me to think about the system to be originally without a graphical user interface.

Is it only my feeling we are a little bit off topic? Is there something like Zeitgeist in Slackware?

• I suppose all modern operating systems have activity logs recording varying levels of detail, with employers and governments and family and people in general being as nosy as they are.

Have you ever noticed how when something unwanted appears and people start disabling and/or removing it, in subsequent versions they hook it into necessary processes so that you have no choice but to allow it to run. And people just say, "Oh well." and just let it do whatever it does and continue on their merry way - or they hang onto the last OS that allowed them to tweak as they please until they quit supporting it and it eventually stops working. LOL

I'm just about done with the internet, so the only thing I really have to worry about is physical computers and drives - both of which are beginning to pile up and need to be scrubbed and recycled or re-purposed.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.