Windows 10

• Mozilla CEO Chris Beard has blasted Microsoft for overriding user choice and forcing Edge as the default browser in Windows 10. If you had set Firefox or Chrome as your default Web browser in Windows 7 or 8, upgrading to Windows 10 will reset it to Edge instead. Furthermore, Mozilla claims that it's now much harder to change default apps in Windows 10: "It now takes more than twice the number of mouse clicks, scrolling through content and some technical sophistication for people to reassert the choices they had previously made in earlier versions of Windows." Does this situation as encountered by Mozilla appear to be or will it be a problem with retaining Vivaldi as browser of choice. If so how do we get around this problem if it exists? :woohoo: :( Thanks! Guardrail 68@vivaldi.net

• It can change the default browser, but there is the option to not change to edge during the install. If it changes the browser, just change the default. Let's count the clicks.

Start menu.
    Settings
    System
    Default Apps
    <whatever is="" listed="" under="" web="" browser="">
    Vivaldi

(ETA: and seems far easier than getting chrome plugins set up in Vivaldi)
    6 clicks. And 6 easy clicks at that. While I've been running the Insider preview of 10 for a while, it doesn't seem like it is all that harder than it was in 8.1.</whatever>

• Great. As soon as my cy of Win 10 is downloaded will advise more. Thanks again.

• @jaydeflix:

(ETA: and seems far easier than getting chrome plugins set up in Vivaldi)
    6 clicks. And 6 easy clicks at that. While I've been running the Insider preview of 10 for a while, it doesn't seem like it is all that harder than it was in 8.1.

For sure is way harder than in win 7/8/8.1.

And the worst thing is that you have to repeat the process each time Vivaldi is updated.

P.S. most of the Chrome extensions requires just one click on Vivaldi, to be installed.

• Changing the default apps keeps getting more and more annoying every major Windows release. In Windows 10, it's the worst so far.

But, to be honest, I don't think they're actually doing it intentionally. It seems to me it's just the result of the mess that is UAC and the migration to Modern UI apps. That, plus the fact that they don't really care all that much about it.

• @RRR13:

Does anybody?

Maybe because is completely unneded?

• To change my default browser in Windows 7is easy:

Select an HTML file in Windows Explorer, Right-click, Open With, Choose Default Program, Opera

• @Pesala:

To change my default browser in Windows 7is easy:

Select an HTML file in Windows Explorer, Right-click, Open With, Choose Default Program, Opera

That's the long way.

Just tells your preferred browser to check on startup.

It will ask to be your default browser and you have just to click yes.

• @RRR13:

Yeah, but, for example, you said it's for sure more difficult to change the default browser in Win10 than in Win7. How do you do it on Win7 in less than 6 clicks, like jaydeflix said it can be done in Win10?

Any browsers expects to be the default one.

So install the browser of your choice, and click yes when it asks.

1 click.

That's not possible anymore in w10.

• @RRR13:

The only decent way to set a browser is by setting it to handle web-specific protocols like HTTP, https, ftp, etc.

No it isn't

There is the applet to choose the default applications.

Is there since XP SP1

http://www.howtogeek.com/137483/beginner-geek-7-ways-you-can-change-default-applications-and-file-associations-in-windows/

Lucky for me Vivaldi was already default on all my machines when they upgraded in-place to Win10, and I selected the option during set up to choose my own defaults.

So Win 10, if I have not opened a particular kind of file since the update, just asks me if I want to keep using the same program for that file type, and I say yes.

• Back to win 10 title, I suggest you to look at the Enterprise LTSB versions.

There are an LTSB and an LTSB N versions.

Both of them are metro free, no Store, no stupid "square" apps, no pushed updates, even the Edge browser is missing.

The N version doesn't include the Windows Media player and some codecs and multimedia components, as well.

The calculator is the (updated) classic one, the w7 style image preview can be re-enabled with a quick regitry fix, an the ISO image is smaller.

In short is a sort of Win 7 V2, perfect for the people who like to keep it simple, and I'm sure that a lot of Opera orphans are included in the category.

• @RRR13:

What do you mean it isn't?.

You said "the only decent way…"

No, it isn't.

So, it's not more complicated than on Win 7.

No one use that route in win 7, you weren't even aware it existed.

In win 10 is mandatory.

So 1 - 2, clicks v.s. 6 or whatever clicks.

• First of all Windows 10 is a joke and I quickly reverted back to Windows 8.1 and I will stay there until I have to move to Linux. Anyone thinking of going to Windows 10 I warn you not to both it is clumsy, slow, resource hog, totally surveillance and that Edge browser is an utter joke I couldn't believe how poor it was. I can see Edge very quickly being dumped worse than IE ever was!

Secondly to the idiot who attacked Mozilla have you even tried the latest firefox releases or any of its varients like PCXFirefox, Waterfox, Lawlietfox or Atlier? If not then please keep your mouth closed because Firefox has dramatically improved from the old software and has become quite a capable browser. No I'm not a Firefox user, I'm a proud OPERA user! I should remind you that Mozilla give you a completely independent Browser engine just like the original Opera did with Presto except Mozilla's is Gecko. So do not put down someone that has dramatically aided the browser market.

• @unhived:

First of all Windows 10 is a joke and I quickly reverted back to Windows 8.1 and I will stay there until I have to move to Linux. Anyone thinking of going to Windows 10 I warn you not to both it is clumsy, slow, resource hog, totally surveillance and that Edge browser is an utter joke I couldn't believe how poor it was. I can see Edge very quickly being dumped worse than IE ever was!

What? dude resource hog? slow? nope
    Edge is a very fast browser , still lacks some features but its quite solid , if you want to hate something so be it , but don't spout nonsense please
    Also on the firefox front the only good thing it has in my view besided tons of extensions is the fact that doesn't open tons of processes ( last version i used was 38) its solid but its still lagging behind the competition

• @Scorpiopt115:

Also on the firefox front the only good thing it has in my view besided tons of extensions is the fact that doesn't open tons of processes ( last version i used was 38) its solid but its still lagging behind the competition

Will not last for a long time, FF40 has already the multiprocess thing.

For now it's optional and disabled by default, but surely in a couple of versions…

I've got Windows 10 on five machines now. It saved two old laptops from the scrap heap, and runs better and faster on them than Windows 7 ever did. Windows 8 was better on resources than 7 was, and Windows 10 is noticeably better still. 10 fixes most of the things about the UX that 8 broke, (including reverse-compatibility for a fair amount of software - we're actually able to run some old Win98 stuff that couldn't load on Win8) and I'm glad to see it come along.

I wasn't totally tickled to have to install new graphics cards on two machines to get 10 immediately (cuz looks like NVidia won't build compatible drivers for their GeForce 6150SE Nforce 430 onboard graphics on some old HP and Compaq motherboards) but the boost in system performance was worth it. $35 per PCIe card. I can live with that.

Of course I log on with a local profile rather than an MS account, and turned off all of the "phone home" crap that 10 installs, making it even BETTER on resources than it was already. Bonus!

Looking forward to updating the 6th and last machine, and then all Win boxes currently in regular use here will be running the same OS Ver. The two XP boxes and the two Linux boxes, I will not touch for now.

• @RRR13:

What do you mean it isn't? You use browsers to access stuff on the web via certain protocols.

Anyway, I didn't know the option to choose default apps in the Control Panel. Thanks for that info! I counted the clicks on my Win 7 and there are 6 of them:
    start
    control panel
    programs
    set your default programs
    <browser of="" choice="">
    set this program as default

That's exactly how many jaydeflix said are needed on Win 10.
    So, it's not more complicated than on Win 7.</browser>

Unless I'm mistaken, the problem is that in Windows 7, the apps themselves can change those settings for you, so you can set your defaults directly from the given application. In Windows 10, i believe this is no longer possible - you have to set the defaults in-app for the app to register itself in the "Default programs" list, but the default app will stay the same, and THEN you have to go and do what you described to finally confirm your default app preference. So in a way, it IS more complicated.

• I installed Windows 10 on 30 July. This is very good, I mean, it's fast, has a friendly interface and a lot of improvements over previous versions. It did not change my default browser, but even if swapped to set a default browser is as easy as ever. I'm satisfied with the W 10 so far.
    B)

• @Scorpiopt115:

@unhived:

First of all Windows 10 is a joke and I quickly reverted back to Windows 8.1 and I will stay there until I have to move to Linux. Anyone thinking of going to Windows 10 I warn you not to both it is clumsy, slow, resource hog, totally surveillance and that Edge browser is an utter joke I couldn't believe how poor it was. I can see Edge very quickly being dumped worse than IE ever was!

What? dude resource hog? slow? nope
    Edge is a very fast browser , still lacks some features but its quite solid , if you want to hate something so be it , but don't spout nonsense please

Have you used Windows 10? Are you one of these W10 beta nerds? I've used Windows 10 and I keep a keen eye on resources and flow of my machine. I can assure you that Windows 10 is a dog compared to Windows 8 and 8.1 and that is exactly why I quickly reverted back to my 8.1 image and was so relieved. Anyone who trumps up Windows 10 is a complete idiot and living in an illusion provided by Microsoft. Windows 10 offers nothing more than Windows 8.1 and my 8.1 wipes the floor with 10 for speed. Now as for the clumsy I'll give you a great example; when I go to bed and watch a video file I will click the battery icon and then i IMMEDIATELY get two options of energy use to highlight and immediately enter. Now on lame W10 I have to jump through hoops going into menus then options just to achieve the same thing plus the side panel/charm wannabe takes a second or two to load up and I sometime have to click again as if it's not registered the first clicks on the icon. I suspect an SSD may be needed to aid the speed of side menus just to get the same speed as my Windows 8.1 with a slower 5400 rpm HD. I can boot my Windows 8.1 in 18 seconds where as I was lucky to get 30-35 seconds at best on W10. The icons are dire just look at that stale trashcan icon looks like it come from 1995. Software I regularly use wasn't working like Opera Developer crashing when I attempted to download anything and Free download manager not being able to download unless you chose the lame beta version 5. Edge is a complete joke and believe me I give credit where it is due and edge doesn't even come close to Vivaldi let alone Opera which blisters Edge and all the browser competition. Only the second the URL I put into edge had the lame duck advising me to use IE to view the page as this new fancy browser couldn't handle it, how pathetic. I cannot even save a web page as html, pdf or text in Edge the lame duck. Edge looks and feels like Internet explorer with a wannabe front GUI, its an utter joke and will go down in history as the flop of flops because its plop. Back to Firefox I can tell you now that I would as a power user use Firefox if I didn't have Opera or Yandex browser until Vivaldi got its act together. I was using Palemoon when Opera 12 become lame so if Firefox is so bad why would I have found Palemoon much better back then before moving back to Opera when its new browser came out? When someone provides you with a browser engine that is very reliable like Mozilla then you should be grateful I've found it to be the most reliable across the internet whilst Chrome's engine has been bugged at times. By the way my laptop runs an intel iCore5 processor and W10 was winding me up with the fan noise. I'm so glad I had the wisdom to Acronis my HD so I could revert back to the better W8.1. The start menu in W10 is a joke and a resource hog compared to the metro of 8.1 which I prefer. Stick Windows 10 where the sun don't shine and if I have to then I'm off to Linux, Mac, AmigaOS or future SailOS systems.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.