Attempting to open PDFs with internal viewer results in crash

• Example PDF: https://iddsi.org/Documents/IDDSIFramework-CompleteFramework.pdf

Sometimes the crash is almost instantaneous, at other times there is a protracted period where the document seems to be loading (but never actually appears), and then it crashes the browser.

Anyone else encountering this?

@purgatori I don't get a crash by simply opening PDFs but one of the devs is currently working on a fix for some not-so-simple PDF-related crashes on Windows. If you could please report the crash that you're seeing on macOS, the team will investigate whether or not it has the same root cause. Thanks!

• @xyzzy said in Attempting to open PDFs with internal viewer results in crash:

@purgatori I don't get a crash by simply opening PDFs but one of the devs is currently working on a fix for some not-so-simple PDF-related crashes on Windows. If you could please report the crash that you're seeing on macOS, the team will investigate whether or not it has the same root cause. Thanks!

Done, thanks. I posted the crash log in one of the fields, though, as I couldn't see a way to upload the text file even after inputting my e-mail address.

@purgatori Thanks again! To submit a full crash log, simply reply to the bug confirmation email and send the text file as an attachment; it will get added to the bug report. You can also use email replies if you wish to provide additional information to the developers, find a better/easier/more reliable way to reproduce the bug, or to inform the Vivaldi team that a bug no longer reproduces.

• After recent updates Vivaldi is no longer crashing every time a PDF is opened. Instead, the following error is more common:

Imgur

As you can see, the message about an 'unexpected server response' is shown even when attempting to open a PDF from local storage.

EDIT: I worked out that it was an extension (Surfingkeys) that was somehow causing these crashes, even without having access to file URLs. 😞

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.