Why do all use Chromium

With Chromium 75 Google/Chromium devs force extension developers to use their Google WebStore to distribute extensions. Downloading extensions from other servers are broken, files can not be saved. Bad attitude Google, BAD! 🔥😈🔥

• @2635599
    Novice here, as for lingo and all so plz overlook if a stupid question...

I've read the posts/replies to this thread hoping it would be an answer to my own ? which is why I see ref to Google Chrome if I am using Vivaldi but looking to add an extension or something.
    Is there no way to get a good browser experience and also be free of Google? I have serious privacy concerns and am confident Google doesn't have my best interest at heart.

• i'm sure there are other services for doing the same things out there, but are they something vivaldi and others are willing to look at i can't say.

• I'm not a developer, but I'm under the impression that one reason that almost every alternative browser out there is using Chromium is that Chromium is a lot more modular than current Firefox. That's why we have Vivaldi and Qutebrowser which have radically different UIs and functionality to Google Chrome/Chromium, despite sharing the same rendering engine, etc.

• @icubud said in Why do all use Chromium:

which is why I see ref to Google Chrome if I am using Vivaldi but looking to add an extension or something.

The reason is because Vivaldi uses the same Chromium Base as Google Chrome.
    Additionally, the main source for extensions to this Base is on the Google (Chrome) Extension Store.

• @datacenter
    Actually I'm a casual user and very pleased after switching over from Firefox/Google combo. Being non-technical, my reasons are more intuitive than evidence based.

One, I have around 8 to 10 tabs open anytime & so far have not run into 'captcha'.

On political news search: In this short period (2 months), a search for say latest on Trump; I get a wider spread rather than being corralled by Google to Leftist sources. With Google, if I searched for general or right tilted sources, and had more than 4 tabs opened, invariably I would run into 'captcha'.

Speed: Browser seems faster and that can also be a problem. Mouse hovers over a field / topic and bingo, I'm there. Maybe it's my imagination but i feel there's some sort of friendly AI embedded in.

What the heck, if the browser is listening to me who needs a gf? I would definitely recommend Vivaldi to casual users, not all ...., just friends.

• @jaish said in Why do all use Chromium:

FYI Vivaldi has nothing to do with CAPTCHAs (that's website specific) or search results (that's search engine specific)

Regards

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.