Using vivaldi as root

• how do i launch vivaldi as root? details, please - hold the critisism! thanx.....roc my attempts: root@Microknoppix:~# vivaldi --user-data-dir /root/.vivaldi [14134:14134:0723/112229:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(345)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process ^C ^C root@Microknoppix:~# vivaldi-snapshot --user-data-dir /root/.vivaldi [15321:15321:0723/120953:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(345)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process

• I got root shell using "sudo -i" and then while vivaldi was closed I tried just "vivaldi" and it worked just fine

• Why you use vivaldi as root? There is no reason to do ist so.

• @RocknRolf:

Why you use vivaldi as root? There is no reason to do ist so.

There are plenty of users that use linux with the root account only.

Surely isn't a good idea on a production machine, but for personal use, often, using a non root user is just an annoyance, exactly as UAC is under windows.

• "…....for personal use, often, using a non root user is just an annoyance, exactly as UAC is under windows. "
    Thankyou, at least one linux user is displaying common sense.

Of course one must be extra vigilent about security while operating under root, but I've done this for more
    than 10 years now & have NEVER downloaded a virus.

• Thanx, andreasyeah. Still have basic error as displayed above, vivaldi doesn't strart.

• @The_Solutor:

@RocknRolf:

Why you use vivaldi as root? There is no reason to do ist so.

There are plenty of users that use linux with the root account only.

With my first touch of Linux it was hammered home on me to never, never ever use the root account for normal procedures - and now about 20 years later I learn the contrary. So the 11th commandment wasn't true at all? :lol:

I checked that Chromium does not start in as root, too.
    May be it is a sandbox security feature of Chromium and its clones.

• @RJules3:

So the 11th commandment wasn't true at all? :lol:

It's a good suggestion especially for newbies, not a commandment.

For the record Puppy Linux by default has a single root user.

• @Gwen-Dragon:

I checked that Chromium does not start in as root, too.
    May be it is a sandbox security feature of Chromium and its clones.

Yes obviously is a Chromium behavior that V inherits.

Nowadays is plenty of programs that do this.

VLC is another…

• Some portable versions of Linux always run as root - but usually are designed so that root can't modify system files. If running an actual installed version of Linux, you should not use a root account unless you've somehow limited file downloads.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.