Fast forward feature and spatial navigation

• Hello guys, I've never used the "Rewind" and "Fast Forward" features, I've even disabled the buttons in the last releases but I was curious to try them to see if they could improve my browsing experience. I've tried to look for something in the forum. The "Rewind" feature seems nice: from what I've read it brings you back to the first page for the domain you're visiting, so you don't have to use "Back" 20 times. I didn't understand how to use the "Fast Forward" one. From what I've read, pressing the "Fast Forward" button (or pressing the space bar?), should make the page change to the next one. Eg, I look for results on Google, I'm on the first page, I press forward, I go straight to the second one, is it like that? The problem is that while I was on Google, the "Fast Forward" button was disabled. I'm interested in that feature, so I was curious about understanding the way it works. What about spatial navigation instead? It seems you can move between the elements of the page pressing shift+arrows. What's the point? Browsing without using the mouse? Thank you!

• I'm no expert. But I think it usually has to do with how each web page is coded. If they are related to a next page then Fast Forward should take you to the next one.

I tend to find it most useful in message board forums. If you're reading a topic or browsing a forum index, clicking Fast Forward should take you to the next page.

However, I don't think Fast Forward works as well in Vivaldi as it did in Opera. I've found it hit and miss so far. For example, on the Vivaldi.net forums, I can't seem to get it to work.

• How it worked in Opera 12 and earlier: it would look for a link containing the text "Next" or ">", which unfortunately are not present in this forum. There were also several other languages supported, and the config file was easy to edit. Also, if it knew you had been on an image gallery or directory and were now on one of the images in that gallery, it would take you to the next image - though that could fail at times.

All I can say about the current implementation … testing it on the current Opera forums, it does not work even though there is a "Next page" link. Since this forum doesn't have a "Next", can't judge that. Does work on a Google search results page - maybe it is looking for exactly "Next" and not links containing "Next"?

• @sgunhouse:

How it worked in Opera 12 and earlier: it would look for a link containing the text "Next" or ">", which unfortunately are not present in this forum. There were also several other languages supported, and the config file was easy to edit. Also, if it knew you had been on an image gallery or directory and were now on one of the images in that gallery, it would take you to the next image - though that could fail at times.

All I can say about the current implementation … testing it on the current Opera forums, it does not work even though there is a "Next page" link. Since this forum doesn't have a "Next", can't judge that. Does work on a Google search results page - maybe it is looking for exactly "Next" and not links containing "Next"?

Hmm the way you explained it, it seems useful for pron websites o.O
    Well I tried on one of my websites, it doesn't work though there's a ">"
    Thank you for the explanation anyway, it's clear now!
    I hope they are going to improve it since it seems an useful feature for image boards

EDIT: It works on Google results now^^ My google wasn't in English, when you told me it looks for "Next" I got the problem! Thank you!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.