Firefox and Chrome banned Dissenter

• The Dissenter browser extension which functions as a sort of social media overlay for commenting and discussion on any website, has been banned by Google Chome and Mozilla Firefox. Big Brother bs like this is why I stopped using Chome and Firefox, and in case the Vivaldi devs are reading this, I just want you to know that if you follow suit and ban Dissenter from Vivaldi, I will stop using this browser too. There is no shortage of browsers to chose from. I like this browser, but i can get any browser that allows basic user customization and make it good enough for me.

• @JPlissken No browser bans an extension, the web stores do – and normally they have a pretty good reason. Anyway, since Vivaldi doesn't have an own store, they can't ban the extension, so I guess that's good enough for you.

@JPlissken If you can find some place to download it, I'm sure you can side load it onto Vivaldi. Vivaldi does not provide extensions, nor does it approve or disapprove extensions.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

Here are the reasons

https://reclaimthenet.org/google-chrome-web-store-bans-dissenter-extension/

Vivaldi, having no own store, for the moment, can hardly have an influence on Google's decisions.

@JPlissken said in Firefox and Chrome banned Dissenter:

I just want you to know that if you follow suit and ban Dissenter from Vivaldi

Vivaldi does not ban extensions, that is not their philosophy of a Browser for People.

• @Gwen-Dragon Oh come on, if Vivaldi had their own store, they would have to remove/ban extensions. This has nothing to do with philosophy.

@luetage said in Firefox and Chrome banned Dissenter:

if Vivaldi had their own store, they would have to remove/ban extensions

Malicious extension would be removed and blocked. That is ok.

Oh come on,

Do not kick me in my back, calm down.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

Exactly, if there are extensions that are harmful, either by being malware or by spreading violent or illegal propaganda, it is logical to remove them from the store, by violating the rules of any web page and the browser itself.
    At least what I just read about this extension has certainly not been favorable

Oh, now i read at reddit why the extension was removed. The terms of Service on Mozilla addon store does not allow such extensions which are used to spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc.

OMG, they ague with the First Amendment of US constitution.

Dissenter champions free speech and uses the First Amendment of the United States Constitution as its standard for moderating content
    https://reclaimthenet.org/google-chrome-web-store-bans-dissenter-extension/

No, Dissenter, the First Amendment is not a worldwide law. And developers have to follow the ToS of a store.

If a extension is not allowed to be in a web store, the authors can host it on their webspace. That is does not violate freedom of use.

I can not imagine that Vivaldi would ban Dissenter because of its misuse in social media comments.

• I for one am in favour of Dissenter. You gotta see the upside. Everyone downloading and using this extension, posts/comments into a void or bubble, only to be seen by other Dissenter users, thereby removing their opinion from the public. What's not to like about it? No one is forced to use it ^^

What's not to like about it? No one is forced to use it ^^

Yes, no one is forced to use it.
    And Mozilla and Google are not forced to host it. That is a pitty for some users.
    A real problem would be if the extension could not be installed from other spaces than a web store.

But i see, it is a problem to spread a extension if it can not be hosted in a Mozilla/Google store because many, many users use such addon web store to get their addons.

Oh, Dissenter found a solution:

We are going to fork Chromium and create a browser with Dissenter, ad blocking, and other privacy tools built in along with the guarantee of free speech that Silicon Valley does not provide.
    https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1116306521900625920

• @Gwen-Dragon The problem is severe, since most people don't know how to install an extension which isn't hosted on a web store. And more crucially such extensions don't receive automatic updates. Extensions outside the chrome web store used to be able to receive automatic updates in the past, Chrome removed this possibility only a few years ago.

The problem is severe, since most people don't know how to install an extension which isn't hosted on a web store.

Full Ack.

Extensions outside the chrome web store used to be able to receive automatic updates in the past, Chrome removed this possibility only a few years ago.

And such blocking automatic updates was a bullshit.

Related to a future Vivaldi extension store i would propose: If a extension could be used to harm this or that in any ways, Vivaldi could put a warning in the store,

But not block. A block/remove would be only realistic if a extension violates the laws of the country where Vivaldi is a registered company or the Vivaldi lawyer advised to remove it.

But just now such discussion for Vivaldi extension store would be more interesting if someone from Vivaldi could answer.

@gaelle What is the point of view on blocking/removing a extension in a Vivaldi extension store?
    //Edit: i pinged someone from Vivaldi team, let us wait for a answer.

• @Gwen-Dragon A disclaimer would be the fairest solution.
    After all, the potential misuse of this extension is users fault - as the purpose of it should be "freedom of speech" and not spreading hate. And there isn't need for an extension to do that.
    I'm aware this can easily abused, but is not a reason to ban providing a 404 page without - or with poor - official explanations. Users should always know why an addon is disappared.
    I think only malware/hijackers have to be banned from a V-store (when it'll come).

• Vivaldi Ambassador

There may still be an alternative to Dissenter in the Chrome Store, it's called Hypothes.is and also Comment Aggregator

• Side note:
    "Freedom of Speech" does not mean I must provide a platform.

• @luetage said in Firefox and Chrome banned Dissenter:

@JPlissken No browser bans an extension, the web stores do – and normally they have a pretty good reason. Anyway, since Vivaldi doesn't have an own store, they can't ban the extension, so I guess that's good enough for you.

oh you mean like when they planned to disable ALL adblockers? yea i'm sure they had a "good reason". luckily we the endusers screamed so loud they got whiplash backtracking. what we do need to know is if like brave vivaldi is going to start and let others build their own addons.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Firefox and Chrome banned Dissenter:

used to spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc.

The sole reason why I use Vivaldi is that I needed an alternative to Chrome, because
    I don't like the evils of Googles when it comes to free speech.

I find it incredibly disingenuous and anti-liberal to claim that dissent should be banned
    because of a claim that some has used it to "spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc."

It's a tool, just like Vivaldi is at tool. And like Dissent, Vivaldi can be used to do bad things.
    So if you agree to the totalitarian principle that we have to ban anything that is used to do bad things
    we will have to ban everything.

Some people will use it to "spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc." Should we ban it?

Some people will use their freedom is used to "spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc." Should
    human freedom be banned?

The human voice is used to "spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc." Should our voice be banned?

The human voice is used to "spread hate, threats, violence, harassment etc." Do you really think that that
    is a good reason ban our bodies?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.