Focus when opening link in new tab

• If Vivaldi is supposed to be the browser for power users, why can't they give us the option to choose which tab to focus on when we open a link in a new tab? I prefer to immediately focus on the new tab. Others prefer staying in the current so they can open several other tabs before looking at them. I think the latter is a rarer occurrence, although the poll may prove me wrong. It's just an annoyance to open a tab then have to search for and click on it. The best option would be to let us do both. Let Ctrl-click (Windows) or Cmd-click (Mac) open a link in a new tab and immediately focus on it. Shift-ctrl/cmd-click to keep focus on the current tab. If we're power users, surely we can remember the difference between unshifted and shifted key combos.

You can already do both. The context menu item "Open link in new tab" takes you to the new tab as it opens.

Middle-click and Ctrl (Cmd)+click opens the new tab in the background.

• There is no simple answer to the poll. It depends on why I am opening a new tab.

If just clicking a link, I am often happy for it to open in the current tab rather than opening a new tab.

If I want it to open in the background, middle-click is the most likely shortcut that I will use. On Opera 12.17 I might use GestureDown over the link. To be sure that the link opens a new tab, I use shift + click.

• @Ayespy:

You can already do both. The context menu item "Open link in new tab" takes you to the new tab as it opens.

Vivaldi is the "browser for power users." I don't know any power users or even power abusers who like context menus. Keyboard combos are easier and faster. They should make an option in the settings to choose whether we want to open in the background or immediately switch to new tab when using ctrl/cmd-click.

@Pesala:

If just clicking a link, I am often happy for it to open in the current tab rather than opening a new tab.

If I want it to open in the background, middle-click is the most likely shortcut that I will use. On Opera 12.17 I might use GestureDown over the link. To be sure that the link opens a new tab, I use shift + click.

Shift-click doesn't open a new tab in Vivaldi. Opening in a current tab is not always a good idea as some pages don't render properly from the cache (wrong page position or whatever, usually with something unusual like lazy loading).

• @nachtmusik:

Shift-click doesn't open a new tab in Vivaldi.

It does for me.

• In my comp both of this metod takes me to new tab as it opens and I can't to do for open in the background.
    Can you explain again, please.

Ok it is working! Great!

• This is the one and only reason why I signed up to this community after having difficulties finding any useful information about the subject with out logging in to the community. My take is that if things are undocumented or hard to find the documentation than you are going to have people try the product and then leave when they feel out in the cold. I'm glad I decided to stay a bit longer and try to see if there was a solution to be found somewhere in the community. But I agree that this should be customizable and left to the user to how it should work. Most users power users or not prefer their old ways and habits.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.