Why is Vivaldi lacking Chrome features while being Chrome-based?

• PREMISES: This is a question that clearly comes from a non-developer and I couldn't find an answer online. So don't be too harsh on me, pls 😃

In my understanding, Vivaldi is a better/modified/customised version of Google Chrome (not Chromium, but G. Chrome).

As a matter of fact, this is clear to everyone that types chrome://settings in the address bar and gets, as a result, the Chrome settings with the word Chrome substituted by Vivaldi everywhere.

We can install Chrome extensions with no effort since the Chrome Web Store recognises Vivaldi as Chrome

0_1553770111844_d5c3f1db-446a-4488-bdff-f6d6f79863c5-image.png

And inspecting pages we get the unchanged Chrome inspector

0_1553770296588_95c1383c-9bf4-47f2-b4c1-37869ec5d389-image.png

So, why don't Vivaldi has all the Chrome features?
    It took long to get the users management feature that just came in v2.4 and was in Chrome since 2016 I believe.
    I discovered yesterday that on Chrome when uploading a file, an uploading % bar appears in the bottom left corner of the window and we don't have it in Vivaldi.
    And surely there must be something more since Chrome is in continuous development.

So my question is, can anyone explain to me what's the technical reason behind those differences?

As a non-developer, I'd love to know why some Chrome functions have to be left behind for a while (because eventually, we will get them)

Thanks in advance to whom will have the patience to answer in this post.

• @Pandorino Both Vivaldi and chrome are chromium based (chromium is the "open source" core of Chrome, which any browser developer can use to develop their projects.

Chrome is just chromium + specific Google Chrome code (Google APIs, Nacl, enhanced search and tracking by google, proprietary codecs, omnibox ecc ecc) and few features aren't not allowed to be used on chromium (if google don't release them for chromium, like it did for pdf reader)

Vivaldi is not exactly a chromium fork (based on), is more a separate branch, so while it is based on chromium (not on chrome) is also patched to work on the Vivaldi user interface - which is unique, so the reason why some addons for chrome won't work on Vivaldi (like chrome themes and omnibar). So features from chromium may require a bit more to be implemented.

But, yeah, more feature will come, or will be reimplemented to correctly work on Vivaldi (see vivaldi sync, history, bookmarks and the themes handling)

Sometimes, both chrome and chromium refers to themselves as "chrome", like in the case of Dev Tools, the internal pages and the store.

Most extensions and the store works as the engine to handle the webpages is the same (named "blink") for both chrome, chromium and vivaldi.

• Vivaldi Translator

Great answer by @Hadden89. Going to add my two cents as well:

1. Vivaldi is based on Chromium, not Chrome. So if Chrome has features that Chromium does not, Vivaldi will have to implement them themselves.
    2. Vivaldi does a lot of things different to Chrome. E.g. the sync feature is implemented from scratch. Changes such as this can cause incompatibilities with other Chrome/ium features and extensions, hence they need to be patched or re-implemented in Vivaldi.
    3. Regarding the download bar: The Vivaldi team has their own design that they want to follow (the downloads panel, with an icon showing a progress bar).
    4. In some cases, I assume that the Vivaldi team is disabling features not because they don't work, but because they can be better (easier to use, smarter, etc.), so they want time to get these features up to their vision before releasing them.

• Ambassador

Another way to look at is...
    Why doesn't Chrome have all the features Vivaldi has?
    Why is Vivaldi more customizable than Chrome?

The answer remains the same as above.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.