Compulsory accounts?

• Hi, I have been using Vivaldi for about 2 years now and so far I love the fresh approach to browsing. Until the most recent update, where I have an account coupled to my Vivaldi? Is this now required to keep using Vivaldi?

Off-topic: When I made my account, I also noticed how you show the password in plaintext, while registering. That is really not necessary and a potential security issue.

• @Lamith At which point is a vivaldi account compulsory? 0_o What kind of message / popup were shown to you?

• Well, I am "logged in" as Person 1 now. And it allows me to make more users on Vivaldi. I had to make an account to post on the forum, which I totally understand. I really do not like browsers and websites tracking me and this Person 1 kind of surprised me.

@Lamith said in Compulsory accounts?:

That is really not necessary and a potential security issue.

No, it is not. All password fields can be made easily visible.

• Ambassador

Hi, I have been using Vivaldi for about 2 years now and so far I love the fresh approach to browsing. Until the most recent update, where I have an account coupled to my Vivaldi? Is this now required to keep using Vivaldi?

Off-topic: When I made my account, I also noticed how you show the password in plaintext, while registering. That is really not necessary and a potential security issue.

It is not necessary to register in Vivaldi to use it, but to use the Sync function, just like in any other browser with this function.

• He's referring to the new user profiles. If you use Sync then the user profile should match the sync account, otherwise ...?

I am "logged in" as Person 1 now.

Hi, You are not "logged in" to anything, but I can understand the confusion.

What is actually happening is you are in exactly the same place as you used to be in older versions.

The only difference is now you can see the local profile in a named fashion. If you create any new profiles using the drop-down menu, these will also be local to just your machine and don't need a log in.

If you were previously signed in to sync, you are still signed in to sync in the same way.

Vivaldi won't force you to be logged in if you don't want - After using sync you can sign out at any time in settings as you wish.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.