Vivaldi 2.4 RC 1 – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1488.26

• Vivaldi Team

Today’s snapshot is the first release candidate for 2.4.

Click here to see the full blog post

• First! Good luck for reaching RC2 🙂

• Love the calculator, thanks!

please focus your feedback on serious regressions since 2.3 stable

These aren't serious in the sense that they cause crashes, but they're still annoying regressions:

• I'm still seeing certain tabs and panels take a noticeable amount of time (up to 1s) to flicker into existence after having started. Similarly, the flicker when navigating between tiled tabs still happens. VB-50220

• And the stutter after moving certain tabs to new windows is also still happening. VB-50885

Also, a new one that is rather serious: Vivaldi has registered itself as an email application in windows 10. The mail client isn't out just yet, so you probably want to nix that. 😉 VB-51076

• Ambassador

The Quick Commands calculator is not quite precise enough in my opinion.

22/7 = 3.143 (3.142857142857143)
    355/113 = 3.142 (3.141592920353982)

It is less than it used to be when first introduced.
    0_1553257387097_Quick Calculator.png
    Maybe five decimal places would be enough?

Ctrl+Click on Closed Tabs drop list opens tab in the foreground, not in the background.

• Thanks for fixing the Show Closed Tabs issue!

And the Esc not closing the dropdown, that one was getting annoying 👍

• Personally I believe the profile icon should be switched from an image to an svg before stable is released. It's simply inconsistent to have every button icon being an svg and then introduce one data image, that doesn't use the color variables like the rest of the UI. Additionally the dropdown of the profile image still isn't aligned correctly in height. Both things which can be fixed (I've done it for my own install). I know it's still an experiment, but the backlash from the community in the snapshots concerning this design choice was pretty hefty, while the functionality itself is of course helpful, welcome and many people can use it to their advantage.

@luetage i had gotten used to that image, assuming it would eventually be fixed. But now we're at a release candidate stage it seems like a much more urgent issue that it be made to look "nice", even if it doesn't reach its final form just yet.

Especially considering this release cycle has brought us a number of ui changes and toolbar upgrades, it seems a right shame to let this slip past.

• [Regression] Pressing Esc should close the address bar URL drop down
    [Regression] Search box “Show Search history” down arrow is not selectable until you start typing (VB-48524)

That's good and I hope search field gets fixed completely before 2.4 release.

• Esc there still doesn't work,
    • suggestions can only be selected with tab,
    • shift-del doesn't delete previous searched entries
    • cursor down not showing the engines lists

• Hibernated tabs become dim even if "Dim Icon when Hibernated" is turned off.

• Just updated and so far so good. Thanks Ruarí and the team. 🙂

• [Regression] Show closed tabs quick command does not work (VB-50242)

Not fixed yet for vertical tabs.

• I hope you'll finish toolbar customization before releasing 0.2.4 so you can move to finishing gestures and rockers for next bigger release

Currently I can't mix built in buttons with extension buttons, put built in buttons in the middle or on the right side of toolbar, put bookmarks on the toolbar, remove search box directly from toolbar (for convenience, while it's possible to do so from settings it's just inconsistent, the same goes for profile image)
    you know, basic stuff

@zakius at this "release candidate" stage no new features will be introduced. I too hoped for full toolbar customisation but we will have to wait for that.

• @LonM Some is better than none, it's a start 🙂

• In guest mode there is no profile button. Personally, I think that it should remain there to quickly access other profiles or to just exit guest mode; similar to chrome (there is also a unique icon that is displayed in guest mode).
    0_1553262926935_Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 14.46.25.png

Also, a few other things i noticed

• Option-clicking the panel icon does not enable floating panels inside guest mode. (It's not actually working at all)
    • vivaldi://guest-intro should be hidden from the address bar while using guest mode, so that it behaves like an empty tab, just like in normal mode (I also think this about vivaldi://private-intro, but that's beside the point).
    • The trash can icon in the top corner and the window panel should be removed while in guest mode, since they do nothing.
    • vivaldi://startpage, vivaldi://bookmarks, and vivaldi://history are not disabled while in guest mode. This is a bit inconsistent given the fact that vivaldi://settings and vivaldi://extensions are disabled.
    • Private windows can still be opened while in guest mode. Honestly, this is kind of redundant while in this mode.
    • Home button should be disabled while in guest mode.
    • All pages briefly show an error message before loading.
      0_1553264256868_Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 15.16.37.png

• 5th consecutive snapshot with:
    -- broken H.264/MP4 when run in Firejail, but are ok if run naked https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/279174 ... VB-50975.

Happily though it is NOT also the 5th consecutive snapshot with
    -- basic Linux paste-from-middle-click function inside text-entry fields still broken in SS but fine in Stable. Actually, now i have new info: it's not SS middle-paste that's broken, but the initial copy-selection-to-clipboard that's broken in SS. I've now found that selected text from non-SS windows [eg, Stable, other browsers, LibreOffice etc] which thus still copies to clipboard, successfully middle-click-pastes into SS text fields. It's only text within SS that fails to copy to clipboard, hence cannot later be middle-click pasted in SS ... VB-51059. --> now seems to be FIXED, thanks.

The "broken H.264/MP4 when run in Firejail" bug already forced me from Snapshot to Stable as default. I now greatly fear it will remain unfixed when the new Stable is pushed out, in which case i won't be able to use either Vivaldi anymore. Bwaaahhhh.

@Steffie said in Vivaldi 2.4 RC 1 – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1488.26:

VB-51059

I closed the bug now.

• Does anybody have the "More bookmarks" ">>" on the bookmarks bar opening the list to right instead of left?
    Mine still does, over last 3 snapshots.
    List opens, but only the bookmarks icons are visible, the rest is offscreen.

• Vivaldi Team

@steffie: Running inside firejail is not supported. Given where the extra libffmpeg.so is loading from I also cannot really see how this could work. Personally, I'm not considering that a show stopper.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.