Scientists ‘reverse time’ with quantum computer

• Ambassador

Scientists have reversed the direction of time with a quantum computer.

The breakthrough study seems to contradict basic laws of physics and could alter our understanding of the processes governing the universe.

In a development that also represents a major advance in our understanding of quantum computers, by using electrons and the strange world of quantum mechanics researchers were able to turn back time in an experiment that can be likened to causing a broken rack of pool balls to go back into place.

Anyone watching the computer would see the event as if time had turned backwards.

The researchers – from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) and helped by colleagues in Switzerland and the US – expect the technique to improve, becoming more reliable and precise with time.

Full article

Description of the experiment (pdf)

• Ambassador

Great article. I have always thought quantum mechanics would give us the breakthroughs that fuel our insatiable curiosity.

I knew I should have gotten a degree in physics. I run into trouble understanding text books. I don't know why but teach me a concept I can grasp that. Reading a text book is like reading a language I'll never understand. Put me into a lecture hall where I can take notes and see and hear the topic being taught I will understand that. I need tutors something bad.

• Ambassador

I think that quantum mechanics not only brings great advances in computing (forget passwords, they will no longer work), but also in real-time communication, although it is communicated from Mars, taking advantage of the phenomenon of quantum linking.

• Hmmm. I think popular media has over-hyped things again.

They reversed a time-reversible process...this isn't the same thing as actually reversing time.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613123/no-ibm-didnt-just-reverse-time-with-a-quantum-computer/

• Ambassador

@Kazander said in Scientists ‘reverse time’ with quantum computer:

Hmmm. I think popular media has over-hyped things again.

They reversed a time-reversible process...this isn't the same thing as actually reversing time.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613123/no-ibm-didnt-just-reverse-time-with-a-quantum-computer/

This I thought at first also, but reading the essay in the PDF I have seen that the flow of time has actually been reversed at the quantum level, although I think it is a phenomenon not transferable to this, given the strange behavior of the physical laws at this level.
    But if it can mean an important advance in the terrain not only of the computer science, but also in the communications, as I mentioned in the previous message.
    Some time ago I thought, reading about another experiment about the speed of light, which in some way is related to the flow of time, the objective relativity that it really has, when they seized to stop the speed to zero.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.