Tabs Needs a User Manual and Glossary

• The Tabs section in Vivaldi Preferences is a foreign language without a dictionary, glossary, lexicon or user manual. Dozens of hits from your Help site search offered no answers to my question which is drop dead simple: How do I use Tabs? Why Is Tabs so infernally complicated? Firefox and Safari Tabs do exactly what one intuitively expects and I can work fast and efficient. So- how do I set up Vivaldi Tabs to function in a simple manner like the other two browsers?
    Troll comments and snide remarks are not acceptable among civil and intelligent people so hold your tongues.

• You first have to describe which behaviour you expect, then we can tell you what settings to change to hopefully make it all behave like you're used to.

It's complicated because Vivaldi gives you the choice to setup everything the way you envision, but that also means you have to know what you want.

• @luetage Thank you. Speaking of Vivaldi version 2.4.1455.4 for older Macs. I want what I said above which is an instruction manual that also defines the language terms that are used in the Settings panel. One example of what I do most often is to compose an email with numerous links to web pages. I move back and forth constantly between my email login (tab) and the search page results (tabs). Vivaldi either deletes the email tab or it leaves the email tab in place and deletes the other tabs. In History Vivaldi either keeps a huge granular list of all clicks or it keeps only the email login link. Vivaldi is never consistent in how it keeps history. Vivaldi is not designed to move smoothly and quickly from active pages to history and back like Firefox that provides a dropdown history list from the toolbar.

• @Echosyn History can be accessed from the panel. The panel can either be floating or share the space with your current tab. There is no history dropdown from the menu yet. We got one for bookmarks only recently, don't know if this is planned, but you can look into the feature request section.

I don't know about Vivaldi deleting your active or all your other tabs – this just shouldn't happen. If you didn't issue a command or performed some action to close these tabs, it's likely a bug. Try to find out how to reproduce this exactly and report it.

I know you said you wanted the same behaviour as on Firefox and Safari, but if you want to access content of 2 or more tabs at the same time, the most practical option is to tile the tabs to view them together. Select your tabs by command-clicking them, then right click and tile the tabs.

Another option is to enable the setting to minimise the active tab in tab settings, which will switch between your current and your last active tab just by clicking on the tab header of the active tab repeatedly. First time will show the previous tab, second time will show the active tab again etc.

You can also switch between the active and previous tab by enabling "cycle in recently used order" in tab settings. Then the keyboard shortcut for cycling through tabs (ctrl-tab) will do just that. Hit the shortcut once to go to your previously open tab, hit it once again to go back to your active tab.

• @luetage Thank you. Just musing. Set me straight here. The History deletions might be caused by the settings for History. This begs the question: Where are the explanations for how the History app functions? When I go back to desktop all of the history gets deleted. Why is that happening? Would Session do that? What is, in detail, Session? I did not have it set on Session. As I said in OP above, most of the time Vivaldi will only register my email site in History and nothing else during hours of web research. Security and privacy constraints require that protect myself from the crooks. Does that effect the History function? Logic says that it should not.

I did not suggest that I want to access 2 tabs at the same time: how does one do that? I want one or two or more tabs to stay in place until I delete them, or close Vivaldi, while I go back and forth between and among them.
    Tiling tabs is a term unique to computerese.Tiling tabs is invisible to me because when I clicked to tile a tab it disappeared and I have no available information to comprehend what I do not see. I did read an article about tiling tabs at a site but the writer assumed that everyone understood his programmer terms. And it did not mention pinning.

I luckily found this site that a person designed for people in my quandary. Check it out. I think it wise that the Vivaldi crew look into partnering with him/her.

https://vivalditips.com/efficiency/tab-tiling/en

• @Echosyn said in Tabs Needs a User Manual and Glossary:

I think it wise that the Vivaldi crew look into partnering with him/her.

Yes, that is a good source of information, but you could simply look at the "official" Vivaldi help pages (which are the user manual) - just press F1.
    e.g. Tab Tiling - https://help.vivaldi.com/article/tab-tiling/

• @TbGbe F1 isn't a default keyboard shortcut on mac, but there's a Help Menu.

• @luetage Sorry, I didn't know that about Mac. Thanks.

• @TbGbe I am here in Vivaldi. F1 just darkens the screen. How do I undarken it?
    I followed Mac help to take a shot of the Preferences> Tabs menu and that did not work. I hoped to show you what I am asking about. Your FAQ helps do not provide definitions of the terms in your computer language. Those terms in FAQ are not standard dictionary terms.

• @Echosyn You should read a macOS manual. F1 darkens the screen, because by default the F-Keys are being used for media controls by the operating system. You either have to switch this around in macOS settings, or use the FN key to access the F-Keys, or you use some kind of software that alters the behaviour of the keys.

In any case, F1 doesn't bring up the help menu on macOS, command-F1 does, or just click with the mouse in the top menu called Help, or just use the link @TbGbe did provide, after all the help pages are a collection of webpages.

I followed Mac help to take a shot of the Preferences> Tabs menu and that did not work. I hoped to show you what I am asking about.

There is a help page for taking screenshots using Vivaldi itself
    https://help.vivaldi.com/article/capture-a-screenshot/

Your FAQ helps do not provide definitions of the terms in your computer language. Those terms in FAQ are not standard dictionary terms.

Feel free to ask about any terms you do not understand - even though I do not have a Mac, I am willing to try and explain "computer jargon" in general.

• @TbGbe Thank you. Mac gave me no indication that the screen shot attempt worked. I found it amid the many thumbnails on desktop. My questions cover every section of Tabs. Shall I granularly enumerate them here? I will ask about what I was able to copy to this post. In the first section New Tab Page. Does that refer to the Startup Page section of Preferences. Why is it here? Will different settings between the two sections foul Vivaldi? In New Tab Position what are the definitions of Related tabs, and Active Tabs? I assume that Active Tab is the tab marking the page that I am looking at, but assume often makes an ass of a person. What is a cloned tab? Why would I want two of one tab? What is that Original tab? Last Tab is in relation to what? In Close Tab Position does Close men to shut or to be in close proximity? Again, what is Related tab? What is Activate Left/Activate Right. I activate a tab when I want it by clicking on it. Tab handling>What is Close Button? Is Close an adjective or a verb here or both? What is a New Tab? I assume that a New Tab is the most recent page that I opened and the one that I am looking at at the moment. How does Vivaldi focus content on it?

Does this give you a better understanding of my basic question which involves all of my questions? I still wait for several of my above questions to be directly answered and not be ignored. No I am not a troll but I am serious and want to master this complexity. You have a marvelous browser that outshines Firefox, Safari and the several other browsers that I have road tested. I look at this quandary that I have stepped into as a challenge to learn a mindset that is alien to my 60 years of work, study and research in the natural sciences. Bioelectromagnetics, BEMS.org, requires a very different form of intuitive thinking.

0_1552779085179_8d1698f0-2fd5-4176-8d08-d97e5efd9607-image.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.10.16 PM.png

In the first section New Tab Page. Does that refer to the Startup Page section of Preferences. Why is it here? Will different settings between the two sections foul Vivaldi?

No. The "New Tab" refers to what is shown when you create a new tab (e.g. by pressing the "+" symbol on the tab bar or by right clicking on a tab and selecting "New Tab" from the context menu).
    The "Startup" section refers to what is shown when you first launch the Vivaldi browser (i.e. when Vivaldi starts).

In New Tab Position what are the definitions of Related tabs, and Active Tabs? I assume that Active Tab is the tab marking the page that I am looking at, but assume often makes an ass of a person.

An "active tab" is the tab that is currently being displayed in the browser.
    A "related tab" refers to a tab which has been created by clicking on a link in the "active tab".
    NOTE: when this is done - there are two options/possibilities:

• the new tab is opened and displayed (switched to), thus the new tab is now the "active tab".
    • the new tab is opened but NOT displayed (it has been opened behind the "active tab") and is referred to as a background tab.
      For both cases, the two tabs are related.
      However, if you look through this forum yo may find some cases where it is NOT absolutely clear(e.g. Tab Groups etc. but read through the help links for those situations as they are more complicated).

What is a cloned tab? Why would I want two of one tab? What is that Original tab? Last Tab is in relation to what?

You are correct, "Cloned" is a copy of the tab. Why you want would depend on the contents of the tab.
    "Original" refers to the tab that was cloned and not the copy that was created.
    "Last Tab" refers to the position on the "tab bar".
    e.g. You have 3 tabs open A; B; C
    You "clone" tab A; now you have four tabs with A+ being the copy and they appear in the tab bar as

• "next to original" means A; A+; B; C
    • "Last" means A; B; C; A+

In Close Tab Position does Close men to shut or to be in close proximity? Again, what is Related tab? What is Activate Left/Activate Right. I activate a tab when I want it by clicking on it.

Yes, "Close" means to shut/delete the tab. When you close the "active tab", the options refer to which tab becomes the NEW "active tab". Order refers to the position on the tab bar.

Tab handling>What is Close Button? Is Close an adjective or a verb here or both?

As above, "close" refers to shutting or deleting the tab (and not close meaning near to). So it would be a VERB.

What is a New Tab? I assume that a New Tab is the most recent page that I opened and the one that I am looking at at the moment. How does Vivaldi focus content on it?

No. The tab you are looking at is the "active tab". A "New Tab" means a tab that is newly creating (e.g. by clicking a link in the "active tab", by clicking a bookmark", by clicking the "New Tab" button ( + ) on the tab bar etc. Focus refers to where your cursor should be positioned if the new tab is now the "active tab".
    Remember, the new tab may also be opened in the background and so no focus is needed.

By the way, I hope you are comfortable with my references to "tab bar", "bookmark" etc.

Hope that helps (and that I haven't made a silly mistake in all that).

@Echosyn FYI, the Vivaldi Team recently published a blog post to explain Vivaldi's default behaviour when opening and closing tabs, and to explain some of its customization options: https://vivaldi.com/blog/new-tab-opening-closing-behavior-vivaldi/

Feel free to post questions there as well if anything in the post is unclear to you or if you feel that they missed something. Please also be aware that the key combinations that they use apply to Windows and Linux, not Mac... so, the Mac equivalent of "Ctrl+T" (to open a new tab) is Command+T. Also "Ctrl+click" on Windows/Linux systems opens a link in a background tab, and the Mac equivalent is Command+click.

I'll also ask the Vivaldi team about adding a Help Page on https://help.vivaldi.com that better explains each individual tab option setting.

• @xyzzy said in Tabs Needs a User Manual and Glossary:

Feel free to post questions there as well if anything in the post is unclear to you or if you feel that they missed something.

The actual discussion thread for questions etc. is at https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/32970/tweak-new-tab-opening-and-closing-behavior-in-vivaldi

@Echosyn Also, here's a link to another post that explains how the different tab options work: https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/73316

• @Echosyn I like manuals. When I was starting out in Linux, I read a number of books on various topics to start getting up to speed.
    The problem appears to be that most (younger?) people don't read manuals. They jump in and try things and, sometimes, ask each other on social media, etc.

Unfortunately, this means that the effort of writing a comprehensive manual (which really is a lot of work) produces a marginal benefit if almost no one reads it.

When I want to do something new in Vivaldi, I often ask here. There have been several features I really wanted (but could not find/figure out) that someone here showed me how to do in a few keystrokes or by selecting a few options.

When this happens, I sometimes feel a bit dumb or frustrated that I didn't figure it out myself, but as a long time Linux user, I'm really used to having that happen.

It's just part of the territory. When tools are made super configurable as Vivaldi and Linux are, the downside is that they force us to learn how to configure them. And, since a lot of what we are doing really doesn't have exact analo'gs in the physical world, that necessitates the development of new terminologies to describe them. That's the first challenge of most new fields - learning the vocabulary and the underlying assumptions. In some fields, especially physics and mathematics, those terms are precisely defined. In software, we're often less lucky.

• @xyzzy Shortly after you and tbGbe posted the directly above two suggestions I tried to l reply but a popup blocked me when I clicked one at a time to both of your links. Then I tried to login and the popup happened again. So I returned to desktop, cleared Vivaldi, closed it, opened Firefox and returned here to login. The popup happened twice more. I copied the popup blocking text and sent it to support@vivaldi.net. American Deep State criminals and other barbarians of the ilk have attacked me in many ways since 2000 so this is nothing new. When the ideology war is over we who know love, justice, charity and honor will remain and they will no longer exist.

• @josephj11 Thanks. I was a newcomer to desktop Macs in 2008. I started buying the Mac OSX... For Dummies series plus other Mac books and continued over the years. As time passed the books got thinner. Believe it or don't, Wife and I started using the www via the WebTV set top box in January 2000 until WebTV faded away so we bought used Mac PowerPCs after seeing too much bad about Microsoft. If we could start over we would now be using Linux.
    I fully agree with your view. The ITOT evolves faster than we can keep up so community discourse serves better for us to remain competent in using this media. I will return here often to this thread and the suggested links to improve my competence.

You said "In some fields, especially physics and mathematics, those terms are precisely defined. In software, we're often less lucky." Very true until one ventures beyond the bubble of knowledge about a established discipline and makes a new discovery. Example: Industrial and residential electrical has been my bread and butter until I retired but the natural sciences and physics have been my avocation since childhood to the exclusion of empty social peer pressures. In the Spring of 1997 I discovered a process for changing, for example, a vine into a tree, the vine's heirloom ancestor, by manipulating the bioelectric energy with a uncharted method that blends the calculus from the common Handbook of Physics with the Judaic Qaballah and Sepher Yetzirah. You know what Einstein said about changing one's mindset and point of view. There is at present no lexicon to define the terms of operations in my experiment so I neologize and write definitions of those terms. The process cannot be confined to an algorithm.
    USPTO and governments have become so badly corrupted that I will never reveal the process to the public.
    You guys have been very patient and helpful. Thank you so much. Iceland. A shining light between two worlds.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.