Why does it matter what browser I use?

  • Annoying message box on the top of the page: [color=#ff4488]Notice Can't identify browser version. [/color] It has a corner where I can click it out of sight, but it's back at next turn of page. Why snoop browsers at all?

  • At a guess … because Chromium, Firefox and IE (and probably Safari too) all have slight differences in how they handle things. I know, Opera was always saying "web sites should check for features and not user agent strings" so it seems like a case of not practicing what they preached ...

  • @sgunhouse:

    Opera was always saying "web sites should check for features and not user agent strings" so it seems like a case of not practicing what they preached …

    Just a side note:
    Sometimes the browsers report that they support things but the support is b0rked. While you might be able to check for that too, it is sometimes easier just to check for the version to avoid the known problem.

    In the end it would be best just to use the minimum consensus that all browsers support without problems, but, you know how it is, often the masses just look at the bing bling instead of the content to decide if they want to use something or stick to a website …

    Additionally, knowing what your visitors use gives you a hint what of the newer stuff might be "safe" to use (at least in the code of a site that is intended for a general public. Technical demo sites or a cutting edge geek sites are different in that regard). In my eyes it makes no sense to build in stuff that only 2% of the visitors on a website can see at all and check for that, because the other 98% will have to download the code for checking too. No need to test for NS4 <layer> support today ;)

  • Two things.

    One, FYI, the browser in question is webkit-based. There's no issue of novelty or incompatibility in this case. Identifier strings can be written in whatever way in a customisable browser. And I didn't touch it.

    Two, why should this forum report back to me that it fails to identify my browser, with a notification box that looks hideable but isn't? Why not keep the inability to identify my browser their own knowledge?

  • "This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box." means what?
    Of-course it does matter. Browser may seem to be free of charge, they6 have to generate income, arenot charity institutions. Of-course there may be an ideal behind initiating and sustaining some system, but that doesnot pay bills.
    Consider a musician, who is a real musician, meaning he likes to make music, and isnot just doing it for the money. A good musician can make a lesser instrument sound better, but he may need to do more to ensure that instrument is in that state in which (s)he can use it for the music. Most musicians like to make music for an audience, but even if not, to be able to continue, one has to play for an audience, because that is where the money comes from, either indirect, for promotion or directly, via a loan. But even the most passionate musician can play music 24 hours a day in a week ( well maybe for a week, yes, once.) so sleeping, eating and diverting one s mind, costs too.
    Similar apply to computer experts, making and sustaining a browser. So that is why it might matter a bit

  • Vivaldi Ambassador

    I have to agree with 'ersi' here.

    Not being a web developer I am not sure why they do what they do (cost issues and outsourcing probably) but I do have ideas on how they should do it.
    I do believe a site should notify one that some 'features' may not be compatible with BrowserX and a Close button.
    A site should also log the browsers that such messages are sent to. That way developers could review these logs and improve their sites and make them compatible with all browsers.
    I know… I live in a dream world but that's my opinion.

  • In my case, it was already proven recently that it most definitely matters what browser I use.

    With Opera 11.52, my PM / Messaging function and several other functions wouldn't work. I upgraded a little bit up to Opera 11.64 and I'm back in business.

    In BlogSpot, it was virtually impossible to access the Mobile Settings page with Opera 11.52 / Opera 11.64. I was finally able to do it with Firefox, which was a much newer version.

    I WAS warned from the get go when I joined BlogSpot that I was using a browser that was not supported and that certain functions might not work properly. And I must admit that I do encounter sluggishness and problems here and there by using those 2 unsupported Opera versions.

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.