Recently, running 'Ad block extensions' is using more CPU and making V unresponsive


  • Vivaldi Translator

    The browser has an Ad Block extension installed and as the session goes on to have several tabs, the browser starts to freeze intermittently. Looking at the task manager (browser's) shows Background Page Vivaldi's CPU usage as more than 100. Every time it hits 100 and goes past that, the browser freezes and as it goes below 100, it responds. As the session goes on, it stays above 100 for nearly 8 to 10 seconds before getting below 100 for a second. It keeps switching perennially despite closing all the existing tabs. Later I accidentally found that it was the ad block extension that was causing the issue. Terminating the extension while being on the frozen environment, brings the browser back to life. Tried Ublock Origin and Nano Adblocker - both face the same issue. I was able to replicate the issue on another PC. I always make sure to stay updated with the newest version.
    This wasn't there before. It recently started happening. Maybe it's been a month. Any suggestions?


  • Vivaldi Translator

    Hi, any suggestions? πŸ™‚


  • Moderator

    It was which extension (name) causing high CPU? And how did you check the CPU usage? With Vivaldi internal Task Manager?


  • Vivaldi Translator

    @Gwen-Dragon Yes, with the Internal Task Manager. It doesn't show the extension that is causing the high CPU usage, it just shows Background Page Vivaldi, making it hard to find what is really causing the issue. Like I said earlier, I accidentally found that it was the Adblocker extension which caused this issue. Both the extensions Ublock Origin and Nano Adblocker.


  • Vivaldi Translator

    Hi πŸ™‚


  • Moderator

    @yes-aravind Speed depends on filter lists. And do not use two adblockers at the same time, that may cause such delays.


  • Vivaldi Translator

    @Gwen-Dragon Thanks for the reply. I just use one. I used the other one for testing.


  • Moderator

    @yes-aravind Does this high CPU in background page happen on every webpage you visit? Or only on some with much changing ads?
    May be a page consumes much because a hidden bitcoin miner is running on these pages.


  • Vivaldi Translator

    @Gwen-Dragon Hmm like I said this happens as the number of tabs grow. However even after bringing down the browser to just the start page, it stays the same. Like you said, I will try to monitor and find out the sites that cause the trouble. Thanks again.



  • Re: [Recently](running 'Ad block extensions' is using more CPU and making V unresponsive)

    I've seen similar behavior on Linux x64 version (multiple versions of Vivaldi). I have several addons, but the only adblock I use is only use uBlock Origin . I've been hesitant to report as a bug becaused, like @yes-aravind , I see the spike in the Background Page, not anything specific to the addon. Also, It looks like the treads may have some relation to rendering (--type=renderer) in my Linux System Monitor, but not always. I've tried iwth both hardware acceleration on and off. It also has a very clear correlation to the numbers of tabs opened/closed. Very large numbers of tabs will cause this issue (e.g. list of news links and opening many sites in background tabs to read later will, over time, see this slowdown occur even if all tabs are closed.). Restarting Vivaldi will clear the issue such that a site that was taking 10-20 seconds to open will open near instantly.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.