Restrict Search in Page for Massive Pages
mlatushko last edited by Pesala
Now, if you load a page with a lot of text, Vivaldi searches for the first character typed across the page. Calculating the results takes time if the current page is very large, besides this there are many tabs open, or the computer is just slow.
Make an option, depending on the computer's resource and page size: the instantaneous display of the results of a match will occur in the current viewport (+/– one or more scrolls of PageDown | PageUp).
@mlatushko Just type faster or, if you have some disability, paste a whole word instead of typing one letter at a time.
Even on a very long page like this, quickly typing "the" finds 10,175 instantaneously, but typing just "t" to find 45,393 results takes several seconds.
If you can post a link to a massive page, and tell us a word that you're trying to find on it, we can test it to see if this is ever a real problem.
QuHno last edited by QuHno
There is a bug atm which lets Vivaldi go out of focus after typing a character - copy pasting might be the way to go for now.
But a non-blocking or more incremental search or a dedicated "search now" button would indeed be better on computers with low free RAM or under high load, especially because searching for one character makes no real sense in most of the cases.
This could help increasing the battery life on laptops too.
Pesala last edited by
@QuHno I think that any method that requires user input before searching has serious drawbacks.
Currently, as soon as one makes a typo, there are no search results, so one can quickly backspace and correct it. If one could tyep a long word or phrase then had to click a button or give some other input before the search would start, one would not immediately know whether the search term was not found, or there was just a typo.
Even a slightly longer delay after typing each character before the search started would seriously impinge on the usability of find in page.
Just type faster
Some users may search like brute force searching method or overdraw:
Every hit takes a long time. The page can be like an opened document or source of a big file (10+ MB), every videopage of youtube.com with 1000+ comments were loaded.
There is a bug atm which lets Vivaldi go out of focus after typing a character
I've had this too. Some unknown glitch - focus has lost.
Just type faster
Typing faster does not help. If you type a word in a row on a slow page (the content is loading on a slow or busy by complex processes computer), each letter is calculating in a row in time.
Pesala last edited by
@mlatushko I am still waiting for a link to a slow page so that I can test this.
@Pesala On this page I made I notice that searching is slow while the page is loading. But if you press the stop button, searching then becomes fast again.
Vivaldi seems to handle typing a word slowly without any issue.
edit: I found a better more "realistic" page: The complete works of shakespeare ~2mb
@LonM Not much use, to be honest. It is just the same sentence repeated many times. One will never come across a page like that in the wild.
@Pesala It demonstrates the issue as (I understood it) from the original post. In absence of the web page that actually exhibits the issue, I figure it's close enough.
@Pesala I updated my original post with a better link. It still exhibits slow behaviour while the page is loading, but after that it searches very quickly.
@LonM No obvious problem that I can see. The 6.7 Mb page loads fully by the time I open the Find in Page Toolbar and start typing.
I am still waiting for a link to a slow page so that I can test this.
Most of pages with text content on a computer's CPU loaded to 100% (my computer has Intel i5 without discrete graphics card, Win10x64).
The more characters, the more noticeable the difference.
You may open some media file like plain text or youtube.com video with loaded 1000+ comments during your computer is rendering something.
I see that the browser is calculating the search process sequentially. I can type the whole word (no matter how fast), and Browser totally stucks while recalculating every set to the last:
[s] 1...300...3000...30000... 35500/35500
[so] 1...300...3000...30000... 35500/35500
I've seen this behavior on a page with hundreds of links.