Vivaldi features on Linux / CERT / Passwords

• Hi,

I tested for some weeks Vivaldi stable on my Debian9 system. The browser itself runs flawlessly and stable. But 2 things switched me back to Firefox ATM:

1. Handling of self signed certs:
      We and our customers have a lot of it. And it is absolutely no way to add all the self signed certs to the appropriate user on the client machine manually. It is enough work to explain them howto accept this certs in Firefox with 2 mouseclicks. And it is NO way to do this as an import via commandline in linux or the integrated windows app.

2. Handling of login credentials/passwords:
      This does not work reliable. On some websites it does work on others it does not. The users does not accept such a behaviour if we want them to switch from Firefox to Vivaldi. This happens on Windows and Linux in the same way.

These two things let us switch back completely to FF 64 ATM

Is there any work in progress on these issues or are there some EASY workarounds?

TIA

Uwe

@zash1958 said in Vivaldi features on Linux / CERT / Passwords:

Handling of self signed certs:

//EDIT:
    Works nice in current 2.2 Vivaldi. 🍀
    A import for a self-signed SSL cert:

1. Open chrome://settings/certificates
    2. Select Authorities
    3. Import the SSL certificate
    4. Select the usage
    5. Import it

Do the same with user login pkcs certs but at 2. select Your Certificate instead of _ Authorities

Please recheck my advice!
    I could import our company's router SSL certificate in Vivaldi.

In a shell:
    https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_cert_management.md
    I agree and i know that users can and should not be forced to use the shell.
    This in shell is a ugly interface to add a certificate to the PKI 😞 .

• Thanks,

but I / we cannot let the users do this. And if we must do this manually for all users and all servers by hand...... I have no really good argument for changing FF to Vivaldi.
    This for myself and my handful of systems an unnecessary and painful work to do this and for dozens of users absolutely impossible. If I have time of which I do not know what to do which... Yeah........

Are there any plans to implement a wrapper script or so for reliable and easy doing such ?

but I / we cannot let the users do this. And if we must do this manually for all users and all servers by hand...... I have no really good argument for changing FF to Vivaldi.

Yes, i can understand that you do not wanna do allow thios for a user.
    But how do you solve it currently in Firefox?

This for myself and my handful of systems an unnecessary and painful work to do this and for dozens of users absolutely impossible. If I have time of which I do not know what to do which...

You do not know to write a bash script to deploy certificates for each user on in your LAN? Or what is the real problem of administration?

Are there any plans to implement a wrapper script or so for reliable and easy doing such ?

At this moment? No, as i know.

=> //EDIT: But i found this:
    https://github.com/ThomasLeister/root-certificate-deployment
    https://github.com/ThomasLeister/root-certificate-deployment/blob/master/linux-browser-import.sh

If you think such feature is useful and missing in Vivaldi, please make a request.

How to make a feature request for Vivaldi
    If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please add a request at https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/113/feature-requests .

• @zash1958 appart from scripting you can also just copy a preconfigured $HOME/.pki/nssdb into new user directories.

Firefox can use these as well but requires some trickery for the non-predetermined profile directory.
    If you want a more system-centric way using the (alternative) /etc/pki/nssdb location, just set a symbolic link in each user directory.

Depends on Chromium code and nssdb if you can use /etc/pki/nssdb.
    http://blog.xelnor.net/firefox-systemcerts/ (may be work for Chromiums and Vivaldi)

Handling of login credentials/passwords:
    This does not work reliable. On some websites it does work on others it does not.

Please explain which logins do you mean? Do you talk about regular logins on some webpages and issues with loginname/password saving or with authentication with PKCS certificates?

• @zash1958 one option available to you with passwords is to take the whole password thing away from the browser.

Personally I use KeepassXC on linux, all my web passwords in my own private database (which is then backed up on my nextcloud along with the database keyfile)

Then its just a matter of the Keepass Browser plugin (which works in chrome, firefox, vivaldi, chromium), and Keepass on my android phone (which syncs in the keyfile).

That way you have a password database that is shared between all your devices and browsers, but is your own.

another option if you run a nextcloud or owncloud instance is their password manager, but personally i prefer keepass. Its cross browser compatibility is superb (but strangely doesnt support opera) as well as its security/encryption

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.