Vivaldi gets stuck on some pages, very slow like frozen

• update: after having disaled hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling the problem seemed solved but it's actually NOT COMPLETELY SOLVED.
    The browser on some pages still slows down, I can't click the links, scrolling is very slow. Less than having hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling on but the problem is still present. Can the developers take this issue that also many others (look link above) have into consideration?

• I've submitted a bug report a while back (VB-47752), but I was told that the developers couldn't reproduce my issue.
    But reading this thread, it seems that more people are affected and I don't think that disabling hardware acceleration seems to be the best solution. It's merely a workaround.

But if more people submit a bug report and describe the problem as detailed as possible, maybe the developers will be able to reproduce and eventually fix this problem.

• same problem

• I have the same problem too.

• I have had the same problems and searched for a long time until I found the reason:
    I used a certain DNS what made this trouble. I changed it to 1.0.0.1 and 9.0.0.9 and all was fine. But since yesterday it happens that Vivaldi denied "Ecosia". I changed to the default DNS of my provider (German Telekom)and it was o.k.

• @harrygrey what dns did you use that you say caused the problem?

• @tawell
    as already written these IP-adresses: 1.0.0.1 and 9.0.0.9
    Cloudflair and Quad9 I think.
    I have got it from this German "handbook" https://www.privacy-handbuch.de/handbuch_93d.htm.
    Should be very safe. But it was too safe ☺
    It did not work correctly.

• even with hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling disabled this simple page gets seriously stuck and slows down vivaldi:
    https://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en&fg=1

• @tawell
    Hi, this link open in < 1 second on my system.
    Some user report anti virus software block Vivaldi partially, Avast and ESET for example, and disable it does not work. They had to uninstall it for testing.
    I use Vivaldi on different systems with Linux and Windows and never had these problems.

Cheers mib
    EDIT: Hardware acceleration enabled on all systems.

• i changed the dns to google dns but hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling are still off, i will try for some time and update wether or not there's any permanent improvement, so far i opened two pages where vivaldi got stuck before and this time it didn't.

• Just tried the latest Snapshot (1430.4, x64) and the problem still exists for me. I've used a standalone installation and didn't install any extensions whatsoever.

Here's a test page:
    https://www.sony.de/electronics/fernseher/xf9005-series/specifications

While scrolling, Vivaldi freezes for a couple of seconds and nothing is happening. After a couple of seconds, I can scroll again, but then Vivaldi starts to freeze again. This goes on an on. No problems with other browsers (I've tried Firefox) and I don't know what else I should try. I did a lot of debugging and I'm worried that the Vivaldi Devs can't reproduce that bug.

It seems to affect a lot of people and makes browsing for me a pain. I hope this bug will get fixed.

• @HellbillyDeluxe just tried that page, I have the exact effects as you described!

I had changed DNS, well nothing to do with them, I respect the work of the developers but it must be admitted that some people F*CKED UP VIVALDI REAL GOOD. It's getting impossible to use.

Also I encountered this other new issue like other people: after keeping Vivaldi open for some time and doing browsing activities when you close it Vivaldi takes very long time to shut down and when you launch it again it is still closing down and it asks if you want to force the startup. Truly impossible to work with.

• @HellbillyDeluxe
    Hi, can verify the freeze on this page, Chrome 71.0.3578.98 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit) and Opera 57.0.3098.116 work smooth.
    May you make a bug report.

@tawell said in Vivaldi gets stuck on some pages, very slow like frozen:

Truly impossible to work with.

Well, as 99.9 % of all pages I use work fine with Vivaldi on 5 different Windows/Linux systems for me I use Vivaldi all day.

Cheers, mib

• I now can state that has nothing in common with the DNS as I assumed before.
    I just have tried it in Vivaldi 1.15.1147.45 64-bit in a W7 OS => it works fine and smooth.
    All other machines are with Linuxmint 18.3 and Vivaldi 2.2.1388.37 64-bit what do not work, unless I refresh it, than it is ok.
    So I would think that it is a bug. Or is there a severe fault in the header of the file?
    I am not familiar with that.

Nevertheless I can work well with it ☺

• I can confirm this problem on Windows 10 x64, with all browser extensions disabled.

Security on my machine is Windows Defender + Malwarebytes 3.6.1 Premium, however, issue also occurs with MB web protection and malware protection disable.

Problem often seems random and will sometimes happen and sometimes not happen on the same page.

I can most reliably reproduce the problem on Bing search results that include a synopsis of a Wikipedia page.

The most reliable way to reproduce it on my machine is to enter search term "Littoral Combat Ship" into the address bar and hitting enter.

The Bing search results page loads just fine until the status bar shows page loading is complete. However, the page is "frozen" and I can't click any links. The "Reload" button works, however, the status bar will get stuck on 0% and the page will not reload.

Like others have reported here, this issue only began after the most recent update. Very annoying because it is so unpredictable.

• @mib2berlin

I've already made a bug report a while back, but the devs couldn't reproduce the bug. Maybe someone else can try. Or maybe some of the moderators or volunteer testers can bring this to the attention of the developers again.

EDIT:

I've sent a reply to the acknowledgment mail of my original bug report with further details. Maybe this helps. But other people having the same issue should also file a bug report. The more information the developers get from different systems and users, the better.

@HellbillyDeluxe said in Vivaldi gets stuck on some pages, very slow like frozen:

my original bug report

Which bug number?

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Vivaldi gets stuck on some pages, very slow like frozen:

@HellbillyDeluxe said in Vivaldi gets stuck on some pages, very slow like frozen:

my original bug report

Which bug number?

Sorry, forgot to mention that. It's VB-47752

VB-47752

Reopend by me, can reproduce the freeze with internal 2.3 on Sony Smart TV page.

• which Vivaldi version is the latest not to be affected by this bug? I have to switch back...

ps. I filed a bug report - issue reference VB-48438

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.