Easy to Implement Feature Requests
With 1,996 feature requests on the list it is not surprising that some users are getting frustrated at the slow progress.
The perception could be changed by fixing some simple things in the next few Snapshots, while waiting for those that are hard to do, though often requested for many years.
I collected twenty-five feature requests that, in my opinion, are very easy to fix. I did not just pick my own topics, or those with a lot of votes, but any that seem easy to fix.
Although I cannot see the code, it is very obvious that some are easy to fix because there are simple modifications already available to fix them, or they just require adding a shortcut by default that anyone can do manually.
- Reduce Vertical Height of Navigation Bar in Start Page
- Expand Collapse Bookmark Folders with Single Click
- Report a Bug on the Main Menu (IN PROGRESS) Available in Snapshot 2.9.1697.4.
- Three-way Toggle for View Status Bar (VB-18411)
- Show Icons in Search With Menu (already shown in Settings, Search, so why not on the menu?)
- Change Initial Focus for Clear Private Data Dialogue
Menu Access to Chromeless Mode (Toggle UI)(DONE)
- Page Down Should Scroll by a Full Page
- Add Alt+D as a Default Hotkey for Focus Address Field (Won't do due to shortcut conflict in some UI Languages)
- Ctrl+F Should Toggle Find in Page
- Shortcut for Parent Directory
- Larger Maximum Image Size for Capture Page
- Permanently Delete Bookmarks or Notes with Shift+Delete
- Transparency for Speed Dial Thumbnails and Folders
- Show Current Version on Updates Tab
- Open Download Manager in a Separate Tab
- Show Link Info as a Tooltip
Filters for Visual Impairment(Just needs some CSS User Styles) Update: Windows 10 now has accessibility options for this, which is a better solution as it works for all programs.
- Check for Updates in Settings, Updates
- Increase the Range for Default Zoom
- Increase Max Width of Vertical Tab Bar
- Rename Tabs
- Split Tab (Clone Tab and Tile in one action)
- Create Tab Stacks from Pinned Tabs (Already possible by using Pin Tab shortcut, but not from context menu)
- Find Next/Previous Without Showing Toolbar
Yes, should not be too difficult‡: 1, 3, 7, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25
Unsure if it would actually be that easy‡: 5, 11, 12, 16, 17, 22
Be careful of UX†: 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 23
Already done: 7 (is in the main > window menu)
† Regardless of difficulty, you need to be careful of upsetting the (possibly existing) UX. That could mean making things too over complicated, cluttered, changing the way something already works that people are used to, and so on.
‡ I am not a vivaldi developer, so take what I say here with a pinch of salt.
@LonM Thanks for the useful feedback.
- Agreed, although the icons are there, perhaps the menu code is not easy to modify to use them.
- Is available in the Snapshots, but not in Stable, so I tagged the thread as In Progress.
- Ctrl+Click already does this, so why not a shortcut?
- @johnny85 said in Larger Maximum Image Size for Capture Page: “It's just a variable in extensions\api\thumbnails\thumbnails_api.cc that needs its value changed from 30000 to something like 65000”
- vivaldi://downloads already does this
- Info is shown in status line, so why not in a tooltip?
- Can rename tab stacks, so why not tabs?
Be Careful of UX
Presumable means don't mess with what people are used to, but:
- Triangle icon already does this, why not remove that and use the folder icon instead?
- Almost a bug. Shortcut disables Status Overlay with no way back except by visiting settings
- People don't change the date range or settings often. Mostly, they just want to hit Delete, that's why they opened the dialogue.
- Maybe debatable, but to me the current behaviour is clearly wrong. (To scroll one page down I must hit PageDown, then Cursor down four times. This shows the last line before page down and the first line afterwards, as it should).
- Nothing lost by adding a shortcut that should be there already. Anyone who wants to use Alt+D for something else, e.g. Developers Tools, can easily change it.
- Accessibility issue. Should be fixed a.s.a.p. Not everyone knows about the Escape key, so they must use the mouse to close the find in page toolbar.
- Standard behaviour of other programs already used to delete typed history entries etc.
- Individual commands are already available, just do both together with one new assignable command
@Pesala some fair points there
- Perhaps this would be easier, I had forgotten the code to go up levels was already there
- If it is that simple, then I see no reason not to do it.
- The downloads internal page exists, but I don't know if it would be easy to add a webview for that on a page that is already internal
- I always found it strange that this wasn't default behaviour so I figured there must be an underlying cause in chromium that would prevent it. If it is an easy fix though, I see no reason not to do it
- It might be tricky to manage this in a totally user-side perspective so that extensions that use the
chrome.tabsAPI don't get confused by custom titles. I am unsure of how the underlying implementation would work in that respect.
Be Careful of UX
(speaking of UX, this forum markdown is weird with it's auto-numbering rules.)
- I wouldn't want to confuse some users who are used to clicking on a folder icon and it not auto-expanding. Though this probably isn't a big deal.
- Ah, I hand't realised that broken behaviour. Definitely "almost a bug".
- I don't use this dialog very often but I wouldn't want to accidentally delete my data.
- As an option it might be good, but if the intent is to keep a little bit so you can "pick back up" where you were reading after scroll I think it is best to keep it available for those that need it. Incidentally, I too would prefer to have it just skip a full page.
- Fair point. If Alt+D isn't a shortcut for something else then that would be fine.
- I press Ctrl+F to re-focus it so I can search for something else. If this change were made I would need to press it twice. (OK, so that's not a major usability annoyance, but it would still affect a change to my workflow and probably other people's too).
- I haven't actually seen this as a standard shortcut outside of vivaldi using it for form autofill entries, but if that is the case then there shouldn't be an issue.
- How many people would actually use this, and would time be better spent on making a system where users could just define their own commands (then share them with others) and add them to menus. (Mod Edit: Fixed number)
I don't know any code but...#3...#13...#15...#19...#22...#24 should be doable.
No Christmas presents this year, but I want something for my birthday.
Here are a few more issues that should be possible to do easily.
you should move your list to the "feature requests" section so the vivaldi team will more likely see it when browsing requests.
@TsunamiZ Feature requests must be only one feature request per topic. All of these are already there.
Users in many cases do not bother to search the forum before to see if their feature request has already been made, this obviously leads to confusion and duplicate requests It may be helpful to create a thread with the list of features in work that the user can consult
#16 and #18 are most important to me.
#18 - None of the filters for visual impairment seem to have any effect (but that could just be me).
#16 - A minimal download manager (as in O12) is something I've been advocating for since the Alpha version. Perhaps this is more of a Chromium Issue(?) Someone more experienced may be able to elaborate.
None of the filters for visual impairment seem to have any effect (but that could just be me).
Do you know your colour-blindness type?
@Pesala Probably Deuteranopia. I am told I am what is called colour deficient and have a slight Red/Green colour blindness. I am told this means that I can see colours, but my wee brain is not able to identify them properly.
I see all the images (with colours) but could not tell you which was correct without the labels, only that they are different. (I play snooker and often have to check the red I am shooting is not actually brown or green, especially on a green felt.)
Also I have cataracts in both eyes but that will be resolved in the next few months
I seem to do better with "Hues" if that is the proper term. If one placed all the 'blue' colour tones before me for example I could arrange them from lightest to darkest (palest to deepest)
Lighting and backgrounds also have differing effects.
I do mange but some sites... are really bad no matter how I use the filter or what browser I use.