Closing vivaldi window cause crash

• These crashes were already reported via bug report 14 days ago. Still present in Vivaldi/2.2.1388.29

Summary: Closing window couse crash
                 Key: VB-46842
             Project: Vivaldi Browser

Environment: Vivaldi version: 2.2.1373.4

Operating System: Windows 7 (x64)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.57 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/2.2.1373.4

Closing window couse crash

Expected behaviour:
    Not crash.

Actual behaviour:
    It crashed.

alt text

And little off topic: Im glad that I'm not using your Synchronization because your account management ****. After loging to old acc alt text

The Devs didn't confirm the bug.

• Well it will crash only sometimes that's why I send dmp file to that report.

• It happened often to me, even crashes while DOING NOTHING other than watching a YT video or checking twitter.
    I had to rebuild my Default directory in my profile and no crash happened so far.
    When something goes wrong in Vivaldi, it doesn't heal itself, but you have to help it a bit.
    https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/
    Check in menu help/about your profile path and go there in your favourite filemanager (explorer or anything else you use) but go up one level to exit Default dir, so you stay in the User Data directory.
    Just close Vivaldi, rename Default dir to Default_old
    Open Vivaldi, a new Default dir gets created and you'll see a Welcome page. Close it again.
    Now copy from Default_old to Default these files and directories
    "Extension Rules"
    "Extension State"
    Extensions
    "Local App Settings"
    "Local Extension Settings"
    "Local Storage"
    "Managed Extension Settings"
    Sessions
    Bookmarks
    Cookies
    "Current Session"
    "Extension Cookies"
    History
    "Login Data"
    Notes
    Preferences
    "Secure Preferences"
    "Top Sites"
    "Web Data"
    file_mapping.json

Restart Vivaldi. You should have everything back
    EDIT: added file_mapping.json which is not specified in the vivaldi help page, else you should reset manually the custom thumbnails on Speed Dial, but those would be easy to set up again.

• Thanks will try.

modedit Removed full quote

• I forgot to add: if anything goes wrong during the copy, just delete the new Default and rename back Default_old and you go back to your previous profile.
    Of course if you feel insecure make a 2nd copy 🙂
    I did that 2 times in 2 weeks and everything went smooth. It was only suspicious I had to redo it after installing 2.2 stable. Never had to rebuild profile in 3 years. Shit happens.

@zendar2 said in Closing vivaldi window cause crash:

Well it will crash only sometimes that's why I send dmp file to that report.

They can not repro the bug. The issue may lies on your system.

• The issue may lie in something fishy Vivaldi is doing with its files that gets corrupted, I can assure you. Too many people need to rebuild their profiles, to the point there is even a help page to explain how to do it.

• @lamarca This issue is on my personal laptop running Win 7 Home 64 bit but also in my work on another computer also Win 7 Pro 64bit... Note that i didnt copy any profile between these two PCs.

• @iAN-CooG said in Closing vivaldi window cause crash:

The issue may lie in something fishy Vivaldi is doing with its files that gets corrupted, I can assure you. Too many people need to rebuild their profiles, to the point there is even a help page to explain how to do it.

Ok, but some reply from testing when report ticket change status to rejected would be nice ☹

This issue is on my personal laptop running W

In this case, only you can repro the issue.

• well I tried the full reset of vivaldi and it didnt work. So i tried reinstal with restoring my profile and also didn't work.

All extensions were disabled.

Scenario:
    Open some tabs in normal window and then open private windows and start browsing some sites... Then close this private window. In some time browser should crash.

alt text

• I managed to reproduce this problem on Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Vivaldi 2.3.1401.7 (64-bit version) and Vivaldi 2.2.1388.37 (64-bit version).

Steps:

1. Open vivaldi and find some big file. Start downloading it (some free storage servers with slow downloading speed is good for it)
    2. Open youtube and play some long video.
    3. Open new tab and go to http://www.shmu.sk/sk/?page=987
    4. Click on the yellow or red parts of the country popup window should open.
    5. Wait to fully load.
    6. Close the popup window.
    7. Repeat from 4) to 6)

dmp file from Win 10 with rebuilded profile https://mega.nz/#!kuoEyaaR!kJXB84hKlF5WAoQWrsRjKgNcu-a2h045Amm70Fj0fbg

When sound or music from youtube video sudennly stop playing you know that it crashed and right after that all vivaldi windows just vanish without anything.

Some times I managed to crash vivaldi after few tries but it could take maybe 50-100 opening and closing this popup.

I think the same bug is cousing crashes with private window too... But its trickier to reproduce.

1. Open vivaldi and find some big file to download
    2. Open youtube and play some video
    3. Open private window
    4. Start browsing the internet like you normaly do... Open links in new tab and close it etc.
    5. Close this private window.

dmp file from Win 10 with rebuilded profile https://mega.nz/#!dqp2yAhC!JgP_h7Z62dNc79-QOQ8Z317cztPDfxUrL2XrWvRwYG4

alt text

• @lamarca said in Closing vivaldi window cause crash:

This issue is on my personal laptop running W

In this case, only you can repro the issue.

The problem, at least for me, was solved by reverting to Vivaldi 1.15.1147.42 (64-bit) and starting migration to Google Chrome. I know its really old but any version starting with 2 have this problem but plus is that there are less anoying bugs.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!

Instead of locking the thread, report a bug, attach the dump file and the steps to reproduce. You will be given a bug number (VB-99999), please and post here for our follow up. Thx.

• VB-47662

@zendar2 Thanks again.

• "FIX" popup windows could be blocked with extension Popup Blocker (strict) or all popup windows open as a new tab Try activating "Tools/Settings/Appearance" - "Show Popups in Tab"

With private windows its lost couse 😞

@zendar2 Hi, followed your steps, except the download file, back to forum to reply you. Vivaldi crashed after closing the private window.
    I will mention the pop up is fixed, and the damn crash on Private window still occorred.

• @lamarca its not fixed just a workaround...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.