Vivaldi's startup speed is too slow!

• Vivaldi startup speed is too slow, it takes 10s to start! Plz improve this, i am using the latest snapshoot 1.0.190.2 (64bit) , Windows 8.1 64 bit.

• I can say I agree somewhat. It'd be nice to have some insight as to what it's doing.

beta will be all about performance optimizations. Startup takes 30+ seconds for me (on a SSD!). That's sure gonna improve. :)

• Yeah, if vivaldi can start faster and uses less RAM, it will be the best browser ever!

• Lucky you ! only 30 seconds ;) IF I have more than a dozen tabs opening when I start it than it can take up to a whole minute or two minutes, and, if one of those tabs was in the midst of loading a large jpeq, well then we are talking about 5 - 10 minutes to open and afterwards typing involves 30 -50 seconds between each keystroke and 20-30 seconds to switch from one tab to another in order to finally close the tab that had the jpeq I was trying to view.

My laptop is not a speed demon, but it does have a Intel i3 processor 4GB RAM and 5400rpm harddrive running Window 7 Home Premium 64bit and many other people have similar or slower laptops.

Memory utilization / caching improvements / better use of more than 1 cpu at one time whatever needs to be done to improve responsiveness must be the Number One priority…. , afterall, is not goal of Vivaldi browser to have a clean fast browser ( as opposed to the glitz and slowness and messiness of Firefox and IE ( I have not yet tried Opera or Chrome on my laptop , maybe I should, the Chrome Android browser runs very crisply even with 50 tabs open on my LG G2 phone using the same Wi-Fi connection at home that I use with the laptop ).

• My laptop is not a speed demon

It's not the laptop, it's the 5400rpm thing.

It's time to get an SSD and change your life ;)

• Only five seconds here with seven tabs. I think you open too many tabs if it's taking so long to open Vivaldi.

Specs AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 7 64-bit

• Twenty's Plenty
    • Thirty's Dirty
    • Forty's Naughty

Not necessarily. I don't need to open any tabs and it still takes 30s on my SSD. So let's wait for improvements here. ;)

• The starting of 10 tabs is slower than my old fat Adobe Golive 32bit program from 2005 ;)
    It is a horror after having vivlaid closed with 30 tabs from a internet research and restrat ist next day. Slow.
    Speed tuning by devs has to be done until the first beta.

• You might want to check out the thread "Lazy Tabs Workaround" in Vivaldi All Platforms Forum. The link is below. I downloaded the extension sited. I generally have 20 to 30 open tabs when I exit Vivaldi and with this extension activated, the time to open is much faster than without it.

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/2754-lazy-tabs-workaround

I am using Vivaldi x32 Snapshot 1.0.196.2 on a Win 7 x64 home built PC.

• Do you realize that the ratio of people who CURRENTLY have have 5400RPM Hard drives in their laptops or computers vs a SSD is probably no better than 10 to 1 ?.
    Ssles of SSD in 2012 were 7% of the drive market, it did increase to 13% in 2013 and to 21% in 2014, and forecasts for 2015 are in the 25-30% range.
    So while no doubt SSD sales are increasing rapidly, the vast majority of laptops and desktops CURRENTLY in use ( 1 to 5 years old lets say ) , still use 5400RPM (or in s much smaller percentage 7200RPM ) hardrives.
    I would think that the goal of VIvaldi is to try and have as many users who are CURRENTLY using laptops and desktops use Vivaldi, instead of just having a potential current user base maximum of only 10-20%.
    So, it is in Vivaldi's best interest to focus on improving speed and usability issues with Vivaldi, and do this NOW, instead of waiting for a few years until everyone has SSD s.
    Additionally, see Christoph142 post of 08 Jun 20115 13:24 where he indicates it still takes 30 secs on his SSD to startup Vivaldi even without any tabs open.

• AGREED.
    SPEED TUNING BY DEVS HAS TO BE DONE NOT ONLY UNTIL, BUT EVEN DURING AND BEYOND THE FIRST BETA, SINCE I ASSUME THAT IT WILL NOT BE ANY EASY TASK (OTHERWISE WOULD NOT MICROSOFT AND FIREFOX BROWSERS BE FASTER?) …. THOUGH I WONDER WHY GOOGLE CHROME RUNS SO FAST WITH 50 TABS OPEN ON MY LITTLE LG G2 PHONE !!! MUST BE SOMEKIND OF ANDROID SUPERJUICE.......

• @litehorse3:

You might want to check out the thread "Lazy Tabs Workaround" in Vivaldi All Platforms Forum. The link is below. I downloaded the extension sited. I generally have 20 to 30 open tabs when I exit Vivaldi and with this extension activated, the time to open is much faster than without it.

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/2754-lazy-tabs-workaround
    I am using Vivaldi x32 Snapshot 1.0.196.2 on a Win 7 x64 home built PC.

suIt is unreasonable to expect most people go through all the steps to get this workaround downloaded and installed and it sounds like as a workaround it has a few of its own issues. I mean, I myself will not spend hours trying to do this considering I could not even successfully perform the upgrade to latest test release of Vivaldi when I tried back in June.

IF Vivaldi is to be a special and cutting edge product then, at the minimum, speed and stability issues MUST be resolved before general release, and preferably by the FIRST BETA.

After having sufferred the last 6 weeks with IE 11 ( though I must say it had fewer speed and performace issues than I had with Firefox or Vivaldi ), I will again try and update and use Vivaldi in the hope that some improvements in speed and stability have been made in the 6 weeks since I last used it.

I will

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.