Problem re: installing a plugin

• So, I know very little about adding plugins. I did end up installing https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/translate-4/?display=en in Opera v12 and it works great. I read some stuff about installing them with vivaldi:extensions but this gets error messages There were warnings when trying to install this extension: Unrecognized manifest key 'developer'. Unrecognized manifest key 'old_id'. 'tabs' is only allowed for packaged apps, but this is a extension. Where do you guys get your plugins or do we have ways of resolving some of these issues?

• Do you mean installing extensions? If so, you can install extensions directly from the Chrome Web Store;

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

Once installed you can access the extensions by opening this page in Vivaldi; vivaldi://chrome/extensions

You need to remember that Vivaldi doesn't yet show any extension buttons in the UI. So some extensions are limited by that at the moment.

• Well, the way that one works is an overlay displays over the web page with a button to instantly translate the page. I'm assuming it won't work in Vivaldi because they don't have an equivalent (tabs only allowed in packaged apps–whatever that means)

This sounds stupid, but how do I install a plugin from the site? I looked everywhere for a download button and cannot find anything.

• To install an extension from the site; enter your search [translate etc] in the 'search the store' box and hit enter.

When the results load make sure you click the 2nd radio button 'extensions' .. then when the list of extensions is shown select the one you want to install and click 'add to chrome' then in the pop up box click 'add' and the extension will be added to the browser.

Copy and paste vivaldi://chrome/extensions into the address bar - hit enter and you'll see your installed extension.

You don't have to download anything. You just add/install the extensions.

• I still can't figure it out http://i.imgur.com/430IBPj.png

@dib_:

I still can't figure it out http://i.imgur.com/430IBPj.png

Wow. That's really odd. Which version of Vivaldi are you using, and on what platform? ALL recent snapshots, as far as I'm aware, are detected by the Chrome Store as being Chrome browsers - and instead of the button you have there which says "Available on Chrome," the button says "Add to Chrome." The Chrome store is detecting your browser as a non-Chrome browser and, unless it's a really old version, that should not be possible.

• 1.0.162.9 (Developer Build)
    Revision 2cdaf3a806b2a96130422b734cdcddd8f5b135dd
    OS Windows
    Blink 537.36 (@c4fc1926ad569ca9bd622e77402c6afb91ac4ce4)

Normally I'd be happy because I don't want to go through Google for content anyway. I just want the one plugin, but as I said directly installing it doesn't seem to work.

OK - well at least go to the Team Blog https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/teamblog and get the latest snapshot, 1.0.190.2 and see if anything changes.

If not, are you reaching the web through a proxy or an anonymizing protocol? Have you tweaked your user agent? What about your means of using the browser is not typical? Because the Chrome Store correctly identifies Vivaldi as a Chrome-based browser.

• The extension - ImTranslator - installs when I try it, although I can't seem to get it to work. But then I installed the Google Translate extension and that looks to be working fine.

Not sure why your browser isn't being recognised as Chrome. Best to check the things that Ayespy has suggested.

• Hello, same problem for me with the latest snapshot, 1.0.190.2, i can't download any plugin.

• same here 1.0.162.9, no download button
    I didn't hack anything xD

• Ok I'm still running 1.0.162.9 and I found a "workaround" if it can be called like this.

The page didn't show me the " add to chrome " button.
    I pressed on the g+ icon, I pressed "back" to head to the previous page and then it showed me the button o.O

Well try this way for now

This happens sometimes, just close Vivaldi and re-open the extension page and the button should show up.

• @GinoPerla:

Ok I'm still running 1.0.162.9 and I found a "workaround" if it can be called like this.

I pressed on the g+ icon, I pressed "back" to head to the previous page and then it showed me the button o.O

Thank you good sir! I've been going crazy trying to install extensions. Using "unpacked" and getting errors, trying to copy extensions folders from chrome, searching these forums, feeling like I was missing brain cells, all because I initially had only an "available on chrome" button and later no button. This trick works perfectly for me. Extensions! happy dance

• @GinoPerla:

Ok I'm still running 1.0.162.9 and I found a "workaround" if it can be called like this.

Thanks so much. One little addition though:

Logout of google so that when you click the link the page changes.
    If you are logged in only a popup will appear.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.