is the Local Cache being auto populated by vivaldi browser

• I have a question that is important to me , from what I can tell there are two
    local cache entries being made by the vivaldi web browser the web sites that
    the local cache is being auto generated for is wunderground and pinterest.

I delete or clear them , and they reappear even if I disconnect from the Internet.
    I dont want to use a web browser that chooses local cashes for me , I want a web browser that I choose which web sites I allow to store data on MY computer.

my question is the same as the title of this post !

• Do you have either of them added as a web panel, pinned tab, or an extension which might be contacting those sites?

Where are you seeing this cache? is it in chrome://settings/siteData?

• No I dont

• @LonM also , as I said even if I disconnect from the internet then clear them or delete them they reappear automatically.

so they are not being replaced through a internet connection it must be the vivaldi web browser

• You can always close Vivaldi, navigate to the cache folder and Delete anything that does not have today's date. Same w/cookies.

Cache can build pretty quickly when browsing.

I do not think this is recommended but if you are worried about it... give it a try after backing up your settings (Bookmarks, Notes, etc).

• @greybeard I have the following settings on vivaldi
    under the privacy settings
    (1) never accept cookies is selected.
    (2) block third party cookies is selected.
    under cookies and site data exceptions
    chrome://settings/contentExceptions#cookies
    (1) I have [.]pinterest.com set to block
    (2) I have [
    .]wunderground.com set to block

so the vivaldi web browser should not accept any cookies or allow
    any site data to be stored on MY computer unless I PERSONALLY
    allow the web site to do so by allowing an exception for the web site.

• I made a Feature Request - Option to Disable Site Data Local Storage

Maybe you'll find this feature useful as well.

• @rontaylor said in is the Local Cache being auto populated by vivaldi browser:

if I disconnect from the internet then clear them or delete them they reappear automatically.
    so they are not being replaced through a internet connection it must be the vivaldi web browser

sorry I must have been reading too fast and missed that.

I have the same basically the same setup:

• Block all Third Party cookies
    • allow only "Session cookies"

Sites that need to be blocked.... I use the HOSTS file even though my Anti-Virus has a space for that. (They just add to the HOSTS file also I think.)
    It has been since before I got sick that I've done any computer cleaning or forensics. Let me look through some of documentation (it will be dated) to see if I can see a solution for you.

• @Stardust that would be a great security option , I have noticed that as I
    browse the number of web sites that are storing data in the local cache grows
    and these also cannot be permanently removed , its as if the web sites do not
    seem to care about their rights or my rights and there rights stop where my rights begin.

• @greybeard Sites that need to be blocked.... thats a very interesting enigma
    my firewall can block addresses if I know the address.
    but when it comes to the marketers on the internet they own thousands of different
    addresses , I have tried to block entire ranges of addresses but they always seem to find a way to deceive my ability to configure the firewall , its extremely
    difficult to securely browse the internet because of all of the tracking marketers
    the problem is that I allow a web browser to access the internet because I hope
    that my trust will not be abused and I was thinking that perhaps the vivaldi web browser would be a browser that could gain my trust but its not looking that way
    because the browser itself is the software that is allowing the marketers to track my browsing activity and go against my wishes by allowing storage of web site data that I have not agreed on.

• @rontaylor said in is the Local Cache being auto populated by vivaldi browser:

@Stardust that would be a great security option , I have noticed that as I
    browse the number of web sites that are storing data in the local cache grows
    and these also cannot be permanently removed , its as if the web sites do not
    seem to care about their rights or my rights and there rights stop where my rights begin.

Yeah, looks like only Firefox has such an option to disable Local Storage.

browser.cache.disk.enable;false
    dom.storage.enabled;false

• @rontaylor I forgot to include this ...
    I have had a host file that was apx 280 mb and that only included the google
    facebook markmonitor and amazon ip addresses.

it slows down data transmission when I attempt to use the host file as a firewall
    because its so large , it would take apx 5 minutes to open it up to edit it.

I didnt enter each of the several hundred thousand IP addresses by hand.
    I had to make a program to write the host file from IP address ranges.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.