Control+Click (Right-Click) does not follow macOS guidelines on websites

• My MacBook Pro's touchpad is configured for a two-fingered tap/click to be recognised as Option+Click. This is correctly operational throughout macOS (Mojave 10.14.1), even when 'right-clicking' on Vivaldi own UI elements (tabs, bookmarks bar, extension buttons...). In line with macOS design guidelines, when holding down a 'right-click' then moving your cursor to select an option from the pop-up menu, this should be done in one single action.

However, it is currently impossible to 'right-click' in any website within Vivaldi and select an option as part of the same trackpad action, as Vivaldi apparently requires you to 'right-click' and then let go before the context menu pops up. Therefore, although Vivaldi's UI correctly allows you to perform a context menu selection with one click, the webpage display inside the browser requires you do so with two clicks. This is driving me pretty crazy at the moment, as a recent Vivaldi user.

Please could someone recommend a fix for this?

@dshintag I'd file a bug for this. Vivaldi is written as a cross-platform app; it's not a true native macOS app so it does have some unMac-like quirks that need to be addressed as we run into them.

The right-click processing is a bit different because Vivaldi uses these for its custom mouse gestures. However if Gestures are disabled in Preferences, then I would expect secondary clicks to be handled according to platform conventions. With Vivaldi, Control clicks, right-clicks with a generic mouse and the Magic Mouse, and two-finger clicks on the Trackpad behave differently from how they do in Safari. Secondary clicks and secondary click/drags do work as expected in Chrome and Firefox.

• @xyzzy said in Option+Click (Right-Click) does not follow macOS guidelines on websites:

@dshintag I'd file a bug for this. Vivaldi is written as a cross-platform app; it's not a true native macOS app so it does have some unMac-like quirks that need to be addressed as we run into them.

I find that control-click doesn't do anything, even holding then releasing.

What works is a two-finger click (or press) on the word or element.

It is a bit unconventional, but it does work, and I suspect I'll get used to that.

In some ways I think a bigger problem is the various "missing" macOS functionality is not easy to discover from the application and you have to flounder around looking for clues! I’m writing a short blog giving a few of those that I've found partly for me to refer back to and partly in case it's of use to others. (Well, I will get one up… eventually!)

• @grantjacobs Control-click or option-click — sorry.

@grantjacobs I didn't edit the subject line or post but I think the OP meant to say "Control Click"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207700

• @xyzzy Correct. Have updated the topic.

@dshintag Thanks. FYI, there's already a bug open for the issue of the context menu not appearing on mouse-down when you control-click and the devs are currently working on it. I don't know how they'll address the greater issue of how all secondary click methods across all input devices will be handled in Vivaldi on macOS.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.