Suggestions for the tabs

• so i was using vivaldi and i cant come to terms whit it, the way it handles new tabs its driving me crazy, im used to Maxthon browser wich has this unique way of tab handling wich could be called the "inverse" of the current vivaldi system, the differences as far i can explain: - when using middle mouse button to spawn a new tab its spawned next to the current tab (at the right of the active tab), not at the end of the already opened tabs -when spawning multiple new tabs from the same page the next tab spawns to the right of the previously spawned tab so the last clicked one is always at the end of that tab group - when closing tabs the active tab jums to the tab on the left yes, i know, its a very specific scenario but its the thing that i love from maxthon and that has keep me using it for years, i would love to have a "toggle" for this behavior or more control to how tabs are handled, seriously i cant handle the current tab system, its driving me crazy!!!!!!

• Perhaps a Chrome extension, something like SimpleTabOrder would help. B)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simpletaborder/cekafjbmkfofacenifehbglhmajimhjf?hl=en

There may be other extensions too, that might work. You might want to look a bit in the Chrome store, or do a search for what you want. But it seems like extensions might be your best bet to deal with this tab placement problem.

• @wray2064:

so i was using vivaldi and i cant come to terms with it, the way it handles new tabs its driving me crazy - im used to Maxthon browser which has this unique way of tab handling wich could be called the "inverse" of the current vivaldi system, the differences as far i can explain:

….when using middle mouse button to spawn a new tab its spawned next to the current tab (at the right of the active tab), not at the end of the already opened tabs....

~
    Most methods of making a new tab open in Vivaldi will position the new tab in that illogical manner, and most other browsers do not, or allow us to configure where the new tab will be positioned.

Others and myself have posted many times about this core function malfunction, and nothing has been done.

I do not even recall anybody from Vivaldi devs replying to say what their plans are for this.

I have also recently started a thread about it, and all I got was negativity from some other members here.

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/3483-tabs-open-where-you-got-to-be-kidding-please-let-us-open-new-tabs-next-to-the-active-tab

With all due respect to our overworked devs, this is a basic ergonomic function of tabbed browsers, and as such, it and other basic stuff should be fixed, BEFORE adding so many of the bells and whistles.
    ~

• @LemB:

Perhaps a Chrome extension, something like SimpleTabOrder would help. B)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simpletaborder/cekafjbmkfofacenifehbglhmajimhjf?hl=en

There may be other extensions too, that might work. You might want to look a bit in the Chrome store, or do a search for what you want. But it seems like extensions might be your best bet to deal with this tab placement problem.

~
    That seems interesting, but Vivaldi does not fully/properly/officially support extensions so far, so not sure what to expect.

UPDATE :

As in EUREKA !

It WORKS ! :cheer: :woohoo: :silly: B)

Many Thanks ! - both from ME and from numerous others, both to you and to the dev of this small miracle !

BTW, I just now noticed while looking for the below link to extension management, and it's unbelievable how many threads there have been in the Vivaldi forum, asking for better control over tab behaviour.

OK, so first I followed your link, and it offered to let me install, so I did, and after a moment, it said successfully completed.

At first it made no difference, but you HAVE to configure the extension, as it does not default as shown in its preview screenshot.

Go to vivaldi://chrome/extensions , and from there click the link for options.

Set them as you wish, and then test.

No saving nor restarting seems to be necessary.

Vivaldi devs, there is no need to worry about basic tab behaviour configuration anymore, as this extension seems to cover it.

This has made my day ! :woohoo:

I should add that this extension seems to globally influence ALL methods of new tab creation, whether it be from a Menu, from a Button, from a Link on a web page, or even from a Bookmark Bar Bookmark, and regardless of whether the new tab is empty (to the speed dial page), or it loads linked content.

It is simple and elegant, and just works.

The tab flashes at the far right, and then jumps to the immediate right of the current active tab, where I have it set to open.

It also seems to let us set what happens when we CLOSE a tab.

BTW, FYI, FWIW, I am testing it with Vivaldi build 174, Win32 edition on Win Vista Home Basic 32-bit, with SP2 and all critical updates installed.

Thanks, and Cheers ! :cheer:
    ~

• LemB - as davesnothere just wrote - Thank you very much!!! :cheer:

I used the link you provided, downloaded Simple Tab Order, went through the options on the vivaldi://Chrome/extensions page and VOILA! it works. Great find and it will certainly stop a lot of my aggravation with where new tabs had been popping up.

I am using it on a Win 7 x64 home built machine running Vivaldi 1:0:178.2 x32.

• @litehorse3:

LemB - as davesnothere just wrote - Thank you very much!!! :cheer: ….

~
    Yes, this is all very good and cool news ! B)

Did you notice that it even seems to help with tabs opened from individual bookmarks on the BM bar ? (I added that to my above post)

I hope that anyone who likes this will click the 'Thank You' button at the bottom of Lem's post. ;)

BTW, I mentioned this solution in my recent lament thread in the other forum, and linked it back to here for the details.
    ~

• davesnothere - Yes clicked the Thank You button for LemB and yes I did see where it is working when I open a bookmark (Speed Dial) entry.

• ~
    Actually, I meant from the BM bar, but if this extn also improves the behaviour of opening tabs from a Speed Dial PAGE too, that's yet one more BONUS, and might get me to try to use SD more, even though my own experience was to avoid speed dial pages in the past, no matter in what browser.

But I just remembered that I will need to undo some tweaks which I had made a few days ago to my bundle.js file, which influenced how pages are opened from the SD page's tiles, before I can test what happens there, as those tweaks seem to be taking priority over this extension in that regard at the moment.

• With this little extension another wish came through too B)

Thank you, LemB

• ~
    There are several MORE extensions from this author.

A couple look interesting to me.

Details : http://blandlifedev.blogspot.ca/
    ~

• @LemB:

Perhaps a Chrome extension, something like SimpleTabOrder would help. B)

You made my day !!

Thanks.

Usually the extensions that affects the UI aren't working (yet) in Vivaldi. This one is a very welcome exception. ;)

Really happy for the guys who love this extension. For my part, as a resource-miser, I will wait until tab-order options are built in.

A world in which all options are contained within the structure of Vivaldi's main process is a better world.

• Ayespy - I agree about using Vivaldi's internal tab setup when it arrives. But at this time, this extension really saves me a lot of aggravation. So until the developers have a chance to get to tabs, I will be using this.

This is the same kind of work around I am using for my bookmarks. Since I can't sort them at this time, and I didn't want to follow your example and sort all of my Opera bookmarks by hand, I just erased all of my imported bookmarks, and started using Speed Dial as my bookmarker. I can sort the folders and the links contained within each, the SD comes up in the side panel and it works for me AT THIS TIME. I am looking forward to the time when Vivaldi has a real bookmark sorter and then I will import all of my old Opera bookmarks.

Right. In several ways, Vivaldi is so advanced in its user flexibility that one tends to forget how very immature it is. It is still lacking mail of course, but it still can't even do private browsing or real extension support, hallmarks of every mainstream browser in the world. This is not to complain, but to point out how "gestational" Vivaldi still is. The fact that we ALREADY HAVE a couple of deal-breaker features (the ones that made me relegate NewOpera to the bench) that no one else offers, makes it easy to forget we have yet to even see the first Beta.

My fondest hope is that the presence of extensions to camouflage some holes in the feature package, doesn't ever lull developers into a false sense of security that they don't have to attend to these features because "there's an extension for that." Vivaldi's REAL ace in the hole will be the fact that its home process will attend to 15-20 discrete functions (or more) that every other browser on earth is spawning another process (extension) for, eating up CPU cycles and RAM, because those other browsers will never incorporate these features. This will make Vivaldi's optimization of resource-use soooooo much easier…

• @Ayespy:

[I'm] Really happy for the guys who love this extension. For my part, as a resource-miser, I will wait until tab-order options are built in.

A world in which all options are contained within the structure of Vivaldi's main process is a better world.

~
    I agree in principle.

However, if I had adopted that position, I would not have managed to tame any of the Mozilla-based browsers, and I must place getting my work done (and making my recreational browsing enjoyable) at a higher priority than resource usage.

If the user experience sucks, what's the point of using ANY app ?!

Extensions were part of why I returned to Mozilla browsers during 2013, after previously abandoning Moz previously without even bothering to TRY extensions during my first go-round with Mozilla, nor with any other family of browser.

That all said, I definitely WILL give any internal improvements which Vivaldi offers later a fair chance on their own merit. :)
    ~

• @litehorse3:

Ayespy - I agree about using Vivaldi's internal tab setup when it arrives.

But at this time, this extension really saves me a lot of aggravation.

So until the developers have a chance to get to tabs, I will be using this….

~
    Same here, and for the same reason. :)
    ~

• @Ayespy:

Right. In several ways, Vivaldi is so advanced in its user flexibility that one tends to forget how very immature it is….

~
    Quite true.

Just today, I noticed something which I have only seen Vivaldi offer.

I was doing an on-page search in one of the recent snapshot threads, as I wished to post properly positioned updates to direct folks to this thread.

Then I saw something a bit weird and unexpected in the vertical scrollbar.

Upon investigation, I determined that search results had also placed little horizontal lines across the scrollbar, at the position of each hit, and I could drag the slider to each of them, instead of hitting 'Next' in the search box.

I tried it, and thought "This could be useful".
    ~

@Ayespy:

….My fondest hope is that the presence of extensions to camouflage some holes in the feature package, doesn't ever lull developers into a false sense of security that they don't have to attend to these features because "there's an extension for that."....

~
    And unfortunately, that seems to have become the case in a major way in Mozilla-land, and some of the extensions have been reported to be SO good that it has made me acquiesce and try them.

Now, having 'eaten the fruit', I could never do without certain features and functions anymore, and have even developed a few extensions of my own over there - not yet released, but I have been using most of those for over 6 months now, and they seem solid.
    ~

• @davesnothere:

~
    Actually, I meant from the BM bar, but if this extn also improves the behaviour of opening tabs from a Speed Dial PAGE too, that's yet one more BONUS, and might get me to try to use SD more, even though my own experience was to avoid speed dial pages in the past, no matter in what browser.

But I just remembered that I will need to undo some tweaks which I had made a few days ago to my bundle.js file, which influenced how pages are opened from the SD page's tiles, before I can test what happens there, as those tweaks seem to be taking priority over this extension in that regard at the moment.

~
    I just undid those tweaks, and yes, this two-derful extension does an even better job of achieving what I was trying to make happen.

It just keeps getting better ! :woohoo:

Somebody pinch me ! :pinch: ;)
    ~

• I'm glad that simple tab extension is helping people. I'm using one more tab extension, in addition to that one, that works in Vivaldi and that I like, so thought I would pass it along. It's called: Right Click Opens Link in New Tab.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/right-click-opens-link-in/afalkcagoidkdjdlfoaicbanbfgoamoo

With this extension, I can with a right click on a link get a new tab in the foreground. For my context menu, I just hold the right click a bit longer and get the context menu (so you're not losing the ability to get a context menu). With a middle click on a link, I get a new tab in the background. Of course, the left click on a link, opens the link in the same tab.

It makes it easy – where I want the open tab to be, and whether I want it background or foreground.

The key on extensions for the moment ;) is to find one that doesn't need an icon on the icon bar, because Vivaldi doesn't support that yet. On the other hand, there are quite a number of extensions that work quite well without the icon.

• @LemB:

I'm glad that Simple Tab Order is helping people. I'm using one more tab extension, in addition to that one, that works in Vivaldi and that I like, so thought I would pass it along. It's called: Right Click Opens Link in New Tab.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/right-click-opens-link-in/afalkcagoidkdjdlfoaicbanbfgoamoo

With this extension, I can with a right click on a link get a new tab in the foreground. For my context menu, I just hold the right click a bit longer and get the context menu (so you're not losing the ability to get a context menu). With a middle click on a link, I get a new tab in the background. Of course, the left click on a link, opens the link in the same tab.

It makes it easy – where I want the open tab to be, and whether I want it background or foreground.

The key on extensions for the moment ;) is to find one that doesn't need an icon on the icon bar, because Vivaldi doesn't support that yet. On the other hand, there are quite a number of extensions that work quite well without the icon.

~
    Yes, or that the default settings of the extension just work without being tweaked, making the icon/button unnecessary and thus not missed.

I am hoping that the uBlock Origin ad blocker (which I installed right after Simple Tab Order) will fit that last category.

Like STO, uBlock Origin lets us access some settings thru the extensions page.

BTW, I am already getting the behaviour of your latest suggested extension by using a Middle-Click on a link, with STO installed, and that is exactly what I wanted, as it has already been my default behaviour in all Moz browsers for going on 2 years.

But how is it that YOUR Middle-Click on a link has a different behaviour than mine ?

Not that I am complaining, as I like it just the way that I have it right now, and have never found much purpose for opening background tabs. :) B)
    ~

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.